Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looney interview  (Read 9149 times)

sailwi

• All American
Looney interview
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
terrible interview, Dave Telep is a nerd but I guess if you make your living chasing HS kids around the country what can you expect.  Nothing earth shattering, he does mention MU as one of the schools after him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8067279

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Looney interview
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
I'll hit y'all up soon with some chatter.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
Make it good chatter. The kid is a beast and hope he stays in Milwaukee.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
Burton and Dwilson are the key, if they like each other, they will play together.  Wisco does not play the NBA style, MU has a chance.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
Who says this is only a race between MU and UW? This kid is a stud...and very soon EVERY elite school will be after him. MU and UW will have to contend with UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, UCLA, etc.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »
I hope he goes to either MU or Wisco, if he want to go somewhere else, then who cares about him.  I understand the draw to the elite schools but what is wrong with the schools here?
I had a friend who was recruited by Wisky and MU.  Saw Al in his living room, finally ended up at Northwestern. Did not have a great career there, went to Wisky for grad school, for a masters degree in business.  Do you really think if he went to either school that he had to go get a better degree because no one new him in the state. He admitted late he should have stayed in the state.  He was better than Gary Brell in high school, matter of fact, Johnny Orr said he was one of the Top 5 kids in high school at the time.  I did not believe that, as he played with his back to the basket and he was only 6'6".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
I hope he goes to either MU or Wisco, if he want to go somewhere else, then who cares about him.  I understand the draw to the elite schools but what is wrong with the schools here?

There's nothing wrong with the schools. Sometimes, kids actually want to get away from home and experience a different part of the country. I grew up 1,000+ miles from Milwaukee but chose Marquette expressly because I didn't want to stay home for school.

I hope Stone and all the others stay home, but I certainly understand if they want to go to see if they can make it in L.A. or Florida or Arizona or elsewhere.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

romey

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
There's nothing wrong with the schools. Sometimes, kids actually want to get away from home and experience a different part of the country. I grew up 1,000+ miles from Milwaukee but chose Marquette expressly because I didn't want to stay home for school.

I hope Stone and all the others stay home, but I certainly understand if they want to go to see if they can make it in L.A. or Florida or Arizona or elsewhere.
Yeah, gosh why would a kid from Milwaukee want to play ball in NC, Arizona or Florida?

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »
The greatest recruiting tool in the country is Calipari's track record of 1) elite PGs and 2) first round picks. Wouldn't be surprised if he became a Wildcat.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:15:34 AM »
The greatest recruiting tool in the country is Calipari's track record of 1) elite PGs and 2) first round picks. Wouldn't be surprised if he became a Wildcat.

why is 1) relevant?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »

It says a lot about these kids that go to Kentucky, that they would play for a known cheater just to advance their own agenda.

Frankly, I find that ethically and morally bankrupt.

I worry a lot more about UNC and Duke for Looney.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
It says a lot about these kids that go to Kentucky, that they would play for a known cheater just to advance their own agenda.

Frankly, I find that ethically and morally bankrupt.

I worry a lot more about UNC and Duke for Looney.

Yes, why would a player go play for a coach who wins a ton of games, gets players national exposure, stresses the team concept and would help him become a better player and potentially be drafted in the 1st Round and make millions of dollars? Kids these days are selfish.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
Yes, why would a player go play for a coach who wins a ton of games, gets players national exposure, stresses the team concept and would help him become a better player and potentially be drafted in the 1st Round and make millions of dollars? Kids these days are selfish.

You don't have to agree with me, but if you go play for a guy that knowingly cheats, then you are just as morally bankrupt as the cheater.  You are condoning the behavior, and in this case for your own personal gain.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »
You don't have to agree with me, but if you go play for a guy that knowingly cheats, then you are just as morally bankrupt as the cheater.  You are condoning the behavior, and in this case for your own personal gain.

Cal has never been implicated by the NCAA so technically, he's not a cheater  ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »

Just curious .... whose agendas should these kids be looking to advance, if not their own? Didn't we all choose our colleges to advance our own agenda, whether it be to become an engineer, a journalist, a businessman, lawyer or whatever?
You're really suggesting an 18-year-old with NBA dreams should be more concerned that John Calipari used an ineligible player than with fulfilling his full potential as a player?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
Telep asked him what it would take to get him out of the state and he said,

"Not alot, I'm not like a diehard Marquette or Wisconsin fan so it's wide open."

Yikes

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
Hope Looney follows his friends to Marquette.  Milwaukee's best will become a dream team!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »

"Not alot, I'm not like a diehard Marquette or Wisconsin fan so it's wide open."

Yikes

Yeah.... watching that video then hearing that was kinda depressing.  He's pretty much Buzz's dream recruit.  Can pass, dribble, shoot, rebound, and defend, all at high levels.  Add to that he's a 6'7" lanky switchable.  Jamil Wilson having a bust-out season then getting drafted early entry while we spend a good portion of the season ranked in the top 10 would have to help at least a little bit.  And even if that happens and it doesn't sway Looney, at least it would help my disposition this winter.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »

Yikes

::)
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

Yikes

He speaks the truth, good for him.  If one of the bluebloods offer, cannot blame him for leaving.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »
There's also about 17 months until the kid signs his NLI, so it's probably not important to take anything he says as gospel right now. Plenty can change, and if there's one constant Buzz has had on the recruiting trail, it's that kids really appreciate that he has been on them longer or as long as any other school. This seems to be the case with Looney. MU will be a tough sell, but so will any school not named Kentucky, Duke or North Carolina.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Just curious .... whose agendas should these kids be looking to advance, if not their own? Didn't we all choose our colleges to advance our own agenda, whether it be to become an engineer, a journalist, a businessman, lawyer or whatever?
You're really suggesting an 18-year-old with NBA dreams should be more concerned that John Calipari used an ineligible player than with fulfilling his full potential as a player?

Yeah....I got to admit, I am not quite understanding the outrage here.  His teams at UMass and Memphis used ineligible players, and Camby at UMass what clearly not his "fault," and there is no proof that Rose at Memphis he had anything to do with either.

IMO the worst thing that you can say about Calipari *with proof* is that he exploits what the current system allows him to exploit, and does so ruthlessly.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
Hope Looney follows his friends to Marquette.  Milwaukee's best will become a dream team!

As someone has pointed out here, I think it is a stretch to say that he is "friends" with Burton and Wilson.  They obviously know each other and are friendly, but I don't think the relationships are at the level of "wanting to play together at all costs."  I mean, if Looney wanted to he could play with either Burton and Vincent or Wilson at Dominican anytime he wants.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
We're all different. These kids are used to travel. And, if you've read my posts, Kevon is ready to leave home. Not a bad thing and part of a normal maturation process. His parents have raised him well.
What we need to do is relocate MU elsewhere.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »
Sometimes a kid just needs to leave home. Honestly we have encouraged our kids to look for schools aside from MU because it is important to see and/or live outside of your hometown. I am living proof, never lived more than six miles from birthplace, that getting away from home is great experience. At age 48 I still regret never have lived anywhere than Milwaukee.

I trust the Looney and his parents will make the right choice, both for short and long term. I wish the kid good luck regardless of where he ends up. No doubt he can write his own ticket and should explore all options.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
We're all different. These kids are used to travel. And, if you've read my posts, Kevon is ready to leave home. Not a bad thing and part of a normal maturation process. His parents have raised him well.
What we need to do is relocate MU elsewhere.

Maybe we can convince his parents to move?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
As someone has pointed out here, I think it is a stretch to say that he is "friends" with Burton and Wilson.  They obviously know each other and are friendly, but I don't think the relationships are at the level of "wanting to play together at all costs."  I mean, if Looney wanted to he could play with either Burton and Vincent or Wilson at Dominican anytime he wants.

Watching highlight videos on youtube of Burton and Looney matching up in HS and AAU they are not the most "friendly" to each other on the court.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »

From UNC's pay site InsideCarolina

UNC is in the beginning stages of recruiting 2014 PF/SF Kevon Looney.

Looney, a 6-foot-8, 200-pound forward, has had a terrific spring. He was tremendous at the Nike Elite 100 and NBPA Camp in back-to-back weekends. He was among the top five rebounders at NBPA Camp last weekend.

I spoke to one of his AAU coaches today. He informed me that UNC has put in an initial phone call.

"North Carolina has reached out. Florida. Kentucky. Everybody has reached out at this point."

"(UNC) talked to Shelby [Parrish]. They are going to have a phone call with his dad today."

Roy Williams has yet to see Looney play, so look for him to be a guy they watch in July.

"They said they were really, really interested. They wanted to get Coach to see him play as soon as possible. I think they would be leaning towards offering".

Looney is currently ranked No. 14 overall in the 2014 class. Expect him to move into the top 10 when rankings are updated in two weeks.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »
Nice to be in the mix, but it sounds like we are a dark horse.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
Nice to be in the mix, but it sounds like we are a dark horse.

Why do you say that? 4Ever said his recruiting is wide open at this point. He also said every kid is different so we will have to see.

I am sure Buzz isn't going to cower in the fetal position just because unc and duke offer the kid. Mu has some positives as well, including the coach. If mu wants to play with the big boys it will have to promote the positives. The notion that we are inferior and defeated everytime a big name school gets involved drives me crazy. We might as well hire another Dukiet and go mid major. If you want to be an elite program you have to believe you are one.

feedback