'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Latest Lunardi ... 10 seed  (Read 3928 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Latest Lunardi ... 10 seed
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
7/10 matchup against Temple with likely second-round game against San Diego State. I'd like that.
Regardless, judging by the other seedings and last four out, looks like he has MU in safely at this point.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

KipsBayEagle

Re: Latest Lunardi ... 10 seed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
That would be a dream bracket.  If that was the actual bracket I would actually not feel bashful giving marquette a shot at the final four

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Well, we aren't beating Ohio State.  But we can certainly get to the Elite 8 there....of course we could also lose to Temple.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Anything is possible come March...but if that were the actual bracket I would feel comfortable with us going up against Temple and San Diego St that first weekend. I could very easily see us playing our way into the Sweet 16 or even Elite 8.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
Well, we aren't beating Ohio State.  But we can certainly get to the Elite 8 there....of course we could also lose to Temple.
Thats if Ohio state gets to the elite 8.  So much parity this year we could just as easily play cuse or vandy

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »
Well, we aren't beating Kentucky.  But we can certainly get to the Elite 8 there....of course we could also lose to Holy Cross.

Fixed.  Or not.  Not sure what I'm trying to say, but it should be self-explanatory.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:15:21 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »
We were a #3 seed and a top 20 team back then.  We are no where near that quality now.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »
We were a #3 seed and a top 20 team back then.  We are no where near that quality now.
College basketball this year is no where near the quality that it was during our final four year

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
Understood... but 99% of America thought Kentucky was making it out of the region, and Holy Cross was much closer than it should have been.

I guess the point is anything can happen come tournament time.  Which, I assume, is also your point.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »
CBS Sports has us in an 8/9 match up against George Mason out in Tucson with the 1 Seed being San Diego St. Wouldn't mind that first weekend either.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
What are the chances we could play in Chicago as a 10 there? I think we will wind up getting better than a 10 (hopefully not 8-9), but it wouldnt be a problem playing there and seeing Purdue in the second round would it?

ND rematch sweet 16?

... however I like the match-ups in the east better

Also, the highest seed will get to play closer to home right (ND, Purdue)?

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
What are the chances we could play in Chicago as a 10 there? I think we will wind up getting better than a 10 (hopefully not 8-9), but it wouldnt be a problem playing there and seeing Purdue in the second round would it?

ND rematch sweet 16?

... however I like the match-ups in the east better

Also, the highest seed will get to play closer to home right (ND, Purdue)?
Being a new york/new jersey resident, if we played Notre Dame in newark in the sweet 16 I think the vegas odds will be 5 to 1 that I will have alcohol poisoning before the game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
BTW, UW gets a potentially bad (for them) match up v. WVU in the second round.  That's the type of team that could really give them issues.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »
If that 10 seed was guaranteed right now,I would take it.
But let's not get carried awa with those matchups yet. Last time I looked, we have 3 games left, Providence and Cincy at home and at Seton Hall. None of those are gimmies, with Cincy and @Seton Hall very tough games. And then we have the Beast tourney.
So a 10 is good, but we could easily move up or play our way out.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
BTW, UW gets a potentially bad (for them) match up v. WVU in the second round.  That's the type of team that could really give them issues.

Whatever Big East team UW encounters in the tourney will give them issues.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
Whatever Big East team UW encounters in the tourney will give them issues.
I can think of one team ::gulp:: that won't

marquette99

• Starter
lunardi moves mu up to 10 seed
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Vs temple then san diego state in tucson

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
Unless we get really hot and rip off a pile of W's in the BEast tourney, a 10 seed sounds about right for right now. This is a nice team, not a top 15 team, with some holes. I've enjoyed watching them this season with some periods of frustration, but that was about what I expected out of this season. Of course I would love to have seen them pull off all those close losses into wins and swore at my TV just as much as the next guy, but I'm not terribly shocked where we stand right now.

That said, if most or all of these guys find the game of which they're all capable and have intermittently shown the potential to have, the sky can still be the limit. This year. March is a strange time of year and all it takes is 2 or 3 guys to get hot and throw the team on their back. Pretty much any team with a seeding of 11 or less can find their groove in mid-March and rattle off 3-4 wins in a row. Why not us?!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »
What's different about MU's tourney chances right now than the day after we beat Louisville last year (the "Walk-it-Off" game)?  The day after, MU was considered a near-lock-if-they-hold-serve (just like right now), and they were also considered a 9-12 seed just like right now.  Resumes are similar, RPI numbers are close, SOS is better this year, but more "good" losses as well.

Something I found interesting that came out of the media mock-selection this year was that conference affiliation is not discussed (apparently by rule now), and very little attention is/was paid to conference tourney results.

Considering that was true last year, how the heck did MU go from a consensus 11 seed last year right after beating Louisville to a 6 seed after losing to ND on Senior Day if conference tourney performance is mostly ignored???  More importantly, what does it mean for an MU team that is basically a consensus 11 right now if they win out?, i.e. what's the limit if they win out?

Could their resume at 20-11 get them a 6/7 seed?  Maybe even a 5?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
Well, conference tourney results would have to be ignored by the mock selection committee this year because the tournaments haven't been played yet.  We all know the real tourneys have a huge effect on seedings--didn't Syracuse vault from the bubble to a high seed by romping through the BE Tourney last year?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »
Jerry Palm now has MU as a 9 seed, up from being out of the field.  Says MU has filled a big void in its rersume with the road win at UConn.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
Conference tourney results are definitely not ignored.  They Syracuse example is correct.  In addition, for teams such as MU that do well in their tourneys, they tend to get an additional signature wins at a neutral sight, thus vastly improving their resume.  It can help seeding a lot, IMO.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »
I always thought teams would be much happier with a 10/11 seed rather than a 8/9 seed.  No one wants to face a 1 seed in a second round game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
Jerry Palm now has MU as a 9 seed, up from being out of the field.  Says MU has filled a big void in its resume with the road win at UConn.
While I agree that the win at UCONN was huge and did help significantly, how the hell do we go from not in to a 9 with Palm? This just shows how skittish these things are at this time of year. Not wanting it to happen, but where would this guy put us if we lose to Providence?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
I always thought teams would be much happier with a 10/11 seed rather than a 8/9 seed.  No one wants to face a 1 seed in a second round game.
This is what I always contend.  The difference in quality of opponent of a 1 or 2 seed versus a 3 or 4 seed is staggering!

feedback