[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA investigations cont.  (Read 97009 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NCAA investigations cont.
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »
Daniel Wallach
@WALLACHLEGAL
NEW: Zion Williamson’s former marketing agent has served requests for admission in their lawsuit asking him to admit that he received “money, benefits, favors or other things of value” to attend Duke University and to wear and/or use Nike and Adidas.

Wow. That escalated quickly.

https://247sports.com/Article/Zion-Williamson-former-marketing-agent-lawsuit-alleges-received-money-benefits-Duke-Nike-Adidas-147006166/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

That is about the least surprising thing I’ve read on the internet since the turn of the new year.

But people think that players with 6 digit offers from other schools are choosing to play for Cal or K for free.  ::) :o
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2020, 02:34:52 PM »

On the one hand, I get it.  But I think there are too many D1 schools already, and 75% of them don't move the needle whatsoever.  So I'm not sure they deserve an equal share of the NCAA pot.

They don’t get an equal share. It’s based upon earned tourney units. The more teams in and the more wins equals more earned units.

The SWAC gets one unit if their team is a one and done. The BE gets six teams in do they get six plus one more for each win. Nova brought six units back to the conference alone in 2016 and 2018 (champ doesn’t get an extra unit). Then the conference decides how to distribute. Some do equal, some give significantly more to the school that earns it (e.g., A10 gives 75% to the s Joel that earns each unit).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »
I don't disagree with you at all..I mean I don't really care about the Fordham's or the Savnnah St's of the world, and this is why I have always been a proponent of "splitting up" the D1 schools. I have said it before, let the smaller schools have their own "division" so to speak, and let the larger, more powerful schools have their own. All under the same Umbrella, but just separate. Not unlike D2 or D3, all under the same NCAA umbrella, but different levels.

I have always wanted an NCAA tournament with the best 64 teams in the country take the top 6 leagues in BB(Sec, BXII, Big ten, BE etc) and the tournament is played with those teams. Then the mid/low majors(The A-10, Missouri Valley, Southern etc) have their own tournament as well. That way, those schools can at least think they have a chance to win an NCAA championship. They have no shot now.
Except that the larger more powerful schools have football. Goodbye Big East.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
At least someone is getting rich off amateurism.

Do you believe the women's soccer team are amateurs?  How about the men's tennis team?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2020, 02:57:13 PM »
Do you believe the women's soccer team are amateurs?  How about the men's tennis team?

I believe they should be able to earn off their name, image and likeness like any other student athlete.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »
There isn’t one.  Never has been.  There are rules but a level playing field means everyone has the same resources, facilities and so on.

Which is impossible.  Even in the pros with a salary cap one can say the weather is better in San Diego than Chicago.  One pro team plays in a brand new building, another one doesn't. There is no way to make a truly level playing field in college or pro sports. 

Fans refer to a level playing field as it relates to eligibility and recruiting rules.
— Plato

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2020, 03:07:14 PM »
Which is impossible.  Even in the pros with a salary cap one can say the weather is better in San Diego than Chicago.  One pro team plays in a brand new building, another one doesn't. There is no way to make a truly level playing field in college or pro sports. 

Fans refer to a level playing field as it relates to eligibility and recruiting rules.

They’ll be disappointed.  Pretty safe bet their preferred school stretches those rules themselves

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2020, 03:11:21 PM »
They don’t get an equal share. It’s based upon earned tourney units. The more teams in and the more wins equals more earned units.

The SWAC gets one unit if their team is a one and done. The BE gets six teams in do they get six plus one more for each win. Nova brought six units back to the conference alone in 2016 and 2018 (champ doesn’t get an extra unit). Then the conference decides how to distribute. Some do equal, some give significantly more to the school that earns it (e.g., A10 gives 75% to the s Joel that earns each unit).

You aren’t reading the thread correctly. Equal shares was guru’s idea.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
I believe they should be able to earn off their name, image and likeness like any other student athlete.

Do you believe they are amateurs?
— Plato

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »
Do you believe they are amateurs?

Yes

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2020, 03:34:07 PM »
There isn’t a level playing field in any sport, though.  There certainly isn’t in the NCAA.  I guess the idea or presenting the notion there is sounds good in theory but there has never been a level playing field in college athletics

Okay, a leveler playing field then.

I certainly don’t want Marquette to give up its advantages such as a top flight NBA arena to play in, availability of a private plane for recruiting, etc.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »

On the one hand, I get it.  But I think there are too many D1 schools already, and 75% of them don't move the needle whatsoever.  So I'm not sure they deserve an equal share of the NCAA pot.

Not even Chicago State?

I agree that most Division I basketball programs shouldn’t revenue share.  Just think of the rush of schools joining Division I, if that went into effect.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2020, 08:30:42 AM »
This could get fun ...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/article242637771.html?

The legal battle between Zion Williamson and his former agent in a Florida court now includes allegations he received impermissible benefits prior to his one season playing basketball at Duke.

According to court documents filed Wednesday in Miami, Gina Ford of Prime Sports Marketing claims, without presenting evidence, that Williamson and his parents “demanded and received gifts, money and/or other benefits from persons on behalf of Duke University (directly and/or indirectly) to influence you to attend Duke University to play basketball.”

Ford’s claims are included in several requests for admission, a discovery tool in civil cases used to establish facts under oath. Williamson has 30 days to respond.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »

Daniel Wallach

@WALLACHLEGAL
·
4h

Here are 3 explosive new allegations in the Zion Williamson case.

1.  Marketing agent met with Zion’s parents in Jan. 2019 (while he was still a student-athlete)

2. Brokered by a Zion friend who says Gina Ford promised him a 5% cut.

3. $100K wired to stepfather in April 2019
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2020, 11:15:11 AM »

Daniel Wallach

@WALLACHLEGAL
·
4h

1.  Marketing agent met with Zion’s parents in Jan. 2019 (while he was still a student-athlete)

Yep ... this could spell trouble for North Carolina A&T!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2020, 11:27:02 AM »
Yep ... this could spell trouble for North Carolina A&T!

Nah. Duke will probably get hit with punishments. In 2027. After the wins. After the money. After everyone involved has moved on. After the fans got to celebrate the success.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
Nah. Duke will probably get hit with punishments. In 2027. After the wins. After the money. After everyone involved has moved on. After the fans got to celebrate the success.

But everyone will have learned a valuable lesson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »

Daniel Wallach

@WALLACHLEGAL
·
4h

4.  Zion got special shoes, which exploded.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »

Daniel Wallach

@WALLACHLEGAL
·
4h

1. Just meeting with a marketing agent is not impermissible;

2. This could be a problem but only if an agreement for representation was reached (verbally or in writing) or they marketed him to organizations/companies with his knowledge;

3. This would be the smoking gun. There will be records of a wire transfer.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »

2. This could be a problem but only if an agreement for representation was reached (verbally or in writing) or they marketed him to organizations/companies with his knowledge;

None of that is even close to a problem for Duke/K/Zion as long as he has "plausible deniability" ala Cam Newton, correct?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
None of that is even close to a problem for Duke/K/Zion as long as he has "plausible deniability" ala Cam Newton, correct?

Even if there isn’t plausible deniability, there is no way Duke basketball is getting punished in any meaningful way by the NCAA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »
Even if there isn’t plausible deniability, there is no way Duke basketball is getting punished in any meaningful way by the NCAA.
I agree but it takes a little shine off the Duke brand. I thought they did things the right way.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »
Zion's college career ended in March 2019, so the alleged wire transfer came after.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »

As far as the 100k goes, notice it says in April of 2019...is that even a problem since that is AFTER the season and his eligibility was up at that point anyway??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
I agree but it takes a little shine off the Duke brand.

Maybe for you or me or other fans. But I doubt this would make many (if any) recruits who had been hoping and dreaming to play for Duke decide to go elsewhere. And I doubt they'll be ESPN's featured game any less. And I doubt they will be invited to fewer prestigious in-season events. Etc, etc, etc.