[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA investigations cont.  (Read 97013 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: NCAA investigations cont.
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2020, 08:33:20 PM »
Kansas got taken behind the woodshed after 1988 and was back in the Final Four in 1991

A one year post season ban, a few lost scholarships and recruiting restrictions is hardly getting taken behind the woodshed.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »
A one year post season ban, a few lost scholarships and recruiting restrictions is hardly getting taken behind the woodshed.

The NCAA will never take a member institute “behind the woodshed” because they know if they do so, it’s only a matter of time before major conferences leave the NCAA. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »
I commented on this early in the thread...nothing less than multiple post season bans, and multiple loss of scholarships/recruiting restrictions over several years, Self with at minimum a show cause for several years. Fans/programs don't care about anything other than post season bans. It has to sting, and sting badly for it to have an effect. Forfeiting wins, removing banners, probation and a few lost scholarships is meaningless to a program and it's fans. They consider that a win.

All because of our stupid devotion to amateurism.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »
All because of our stupid devotion to amateurism.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:55:05 PM by SoCalwarrior »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2020, 08:52:29 PM »
My good friend was a walk on for KU's 1998 championship team and a big booster. He told me Self and KU are toast.

That said, i wouldn't be surprised if KU has a new coach and a top ten team in two years.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2020, 08:55:29 PM »
My good friend was a walk on for KU's 1998 championship team and a big booster. He told me Self and KU are toast.

That said, i wouldn't be surprised if KU has a new coach and a top ten team in two years.

Both things can be true. 

Really, if you’re a Marquette fan and you’re cheering for the NCAA in this case, you’re cheering for the end of apparel company influence and money.  My guess is, Marquette wants and needs that money but “amateurism”.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2020, 10:53:18 PM »
Both things can be true. 

Really, if you’re a Marquette fan and you’re cheering for the NCAA in this case, you’re cheering for the end of apparel company influence and money.  My guess is, Marquette wants and needs that money but “amateurism”.
Agreed. I just want a level playing field.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
Agreed. I just want a level playing field.

There isn’t a level playing field in any sport, though.  There certainly isn’t in the NCAA.  I guess the idea or presenting the notion there is sounds good in theory but there has never been a level playing field in college athletics

muguru

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
There isn’t a level playing field in any sport, though.  There certainly isn’t in the NCAA.  I guess the idea or presenting the notion there is sounds good in theory but there has never been a level playing field in college athletics

Then there needs to be one, right?? Or as close to one as possible, wouldn't you agree??

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »
Then there needs to be one, right?? Or as close to one as possible, wouldn't you agree??

There isn’t one.  Never has been.  There are rules but a level playing field means everyone has the same resources, facilities and so on. 

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Both things can be true. 

And its nonsensical to suggest that shoe company money is going to go away.  The shoe companies make these payments because there is a financial payoff down the line.  Just declaring them "boosters" isn't going to make the illegal "benefits" go away.  It will simply push them further underground. 

Legalize it.  Regulate it.  Tax it.  There is no societal harm from students getting money from a shoe company to go to a particular school.  In fact I would argue having transactions taking place above board in a regulated environment is likely more beneficial for the student athlete, the school and society at large.

And the playing field has never been less level.  Look at the media rights payments, coaches salaries, facilities, etc. and tell me how the field is even close to being level now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »

And its nonsensical to suggest that shoe company money is going to go away.  The shoe companies make these payments because there is a financial payoff down the line.  Just declaring them "boosters" isn't going to make the illegal "benefits" go away.  It will simply push them further underground. 

Legalize it.  Regulate it.  Tax it.  There is no societal harm from students getting money from a shoe company to go to a particular school.  In fact I would argue having transactions taking place above board in a regulated environment is likely more beneficial for the student athlete, the school and society at large.

And the playing field has never been less level.  Look at the media rights payments, coaches salaries, facilities, etc. and tell me how the field is even close to being level now.

Some people don’t like capitalism

muguru

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »

This is where I think a change could be made, but I don't know if it's a viable solution or not, but what about some sort of "revenue sharing" amongst all the schools?? I know there's something kinda similar with tourney credits among conferences etc, but I don't think that's enough. What about something like where the NCAA takes all the money earned from the tourney etc, and distributes it equally amongst all it's members?? Whether the SEC earned a vast majority of the $$ via TV contract or not, EVERYONE gets an equal amount.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »

The ONLY way I could support something like this is if it's somehow equal...like Player X will get the exact same amount going to MU as he would to say Kentucky. That way, the kid/family need to make a decision based on things that should really matter like the school itself, the facilities etc. They may still choose Kentucky in the end, but not all of them would. Institute some sort of "salary cap" the shoe companies can help you get players, but they have are given a limited amount of resources to do it.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
This is where I think a change could be made, but I don't know if it's a viable solution or not, but what about some sort of "revenue sharing" amongst all the schools?? I know there's something kinda similar with tourney credits among conferences etc, but I don't think that's enough. What about something like where the NCAA takes all the money earned from the tourney etc, and distributes it equally amongst all it's members?? Whether the SEC earned a vast majority of the $$ via TV contract or not, EVERYONE gets an equal amount.

On the one hand, I get it.  But I think there are too many D1 schools already, and 75% of them don't move the needle whatsoever.  So I'm not sure they deserve an equal share of the NCAA pot.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
The ONLY way I could support something like this is if it's somehow equal...like Player X will get the exact same amount going to MU as he would to say Kentucky. That way, the kid/family need to make a decision based on things that should really matter like the school itself, the facilities etc. They may still choose Kentucky in the end, but not all of them would. Institute some sort of "salary cap" the shoe companies can help you get players, but they have are given a limited amount of resources to do it.

If we cap player “salaries”, then shouldn’t we cap coaches salaries?

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2020, 09:23:38 AM »
If we cap player “salaries”, then shouldn’t we cap coaches salaries?

That's illegal.  Unless they are part of a union and its detailed in a CBA.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »

That's illegal.  Unless they are part of a union and its detailed in a CBA.

At least someone is getting rich off amateurism. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »

On the one hand, I get it.  But I think there are too many D1 schools already, and 75% of them don't move the needle whatsoever.  So I'm not sure they deserve an equal share of the NCAA pot.

I don't disagree with you at all..I mean I don't really care about the Fordham's or the Savnnah St's of the world, and this is why I have always been a proponent of "splitting up" the D1 schools. I have said it before, let the smaller schools have their own "division" so to speak, and let the larger, more powerful schools have their own. All under the same Umbrella, but just separate. Not unlike D2 or D3, all under the same NCAA umbrella, but different levels.

I have always wanted an NCAA tournament with the best 64 teams in the country take the top 6 leagues in BB(Sec, BXII, Big ten, BE etc) and the tournament is played with those teams. Then the mid/low majors(The A-10, Missouri Valley, Southern etc) have their own tournament as well. That way, those schools can at least think they have a chance to win an NCAA championship. They have no shot now.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
At least someone is getting rich off amateurism.
I think someone needs to find a new sport to follow.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »

My interest has certainly waned through the years.  I’m pulling for the kids, though

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »

Why?  There is nothing about amateurism that defines the college sports experience.  Students could be making money and it would be no different.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »

I have always wanted an NCAA tournament with the best 64 teams in the country take the top 6 leagues in BB(Sec, BXII, Big ten, BE etc) and the tournament is played with those teams. Then the mid/low majors(The A-10, Missouri Valley, Southern etc) have their own tournament as well. That way, those schools can at least think they have a chance to win an NCAA championship. They have no shot now.
No shot? Dayton and Zags were probable #1 seeds this year. SDST a #2?
LUC, VCU, WSU are recent FF entrants.
When WSU had a #1 seed I’m sure they thought they had a shot.
When Zags and Butler were playing for a title I’m guessing they thought they had a shot.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »
I don't disagree with you at all..I mean I don't really care about the Fordham's or the Savnnah St's of the world, and this is why I have always been a proponent of "splitting up" the D1 schools. I have said it before, let the smaller schools have their own "division" so to speak, and let the larger, more powerful schools have their own. All under the same Umbrella, but just separate. Not unlike D2 or D3, all under the same NCAA umbrella, but different levels.

Butler when they were a Horizon team quite literally had a shot to win it...
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
Daniel Wallach
@WALLACHLEGAL
NEW: Zion Williamson’s former marketing agent has served requests for admission in their lawsuit asking him to admit that he received “money, benefits, favors or other things of value” to attend Duke University and to wear and/or use Nike and Adidas.

Wow. That escalated quickly.

https://247sports.com/Article/Zion-Williamson-former-marketing-agent-lawsuit-alleges-received-money-benefits-Duke-Nike-Adidas-147006166/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true