[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue's decommitment and BadgerNation meltdown goes national  (Read 11886 times)

pillardean

• Team Captain
Re: Blue's decommitment and BadgerNation meltdown goes national
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
Why wouldn't Marquette players get booed at the Kohl Center?

Who cares about booing?

+1

I hope our players get booed at the Kohl Center, because that means they are doing something right--torching the Badger faithfuls hopes and dreams.

I think UW felt betrayed in regards to Matthews because of the parents who went to Madison and expected Wes to just follow.  But like most kids they could care less about father's legacy and want to create their own (I did the same thing by not choosing either UW or UofM and going to Marquette--an academic coup).

I forgot who made the comment that MU doesn't seem to be on pace for Blue, that they smelled "Pitino."  I don't see why we wouldn't be in the running, considering that I do not think these kids are too young to know the "Flintstones" or even the Illini players from Peoria, I think it was.  I think they probably talked about that a lot as they were a top 50 high school team with three high-major players on the team.  Why wouldn't Blue follow with Maymon and Junior come after with the idea of becoming something legendary.

Working with young kids, you realize this bond growing together and how it can turn into an "us against the world" type of motto. But alas it is just speculation and we must remember the kid is 17 years old and although we want him to join our program we gotta understand the kid has to do what is best for himself in the long run, for we will see him for 4 years there will be a lifetime after he is done playing ball, of all the things UW is supposed to stand for they should have known that-shows what type of an establishment it is...
Marquette University, Spring '08

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »

I don't agree with you in the case UW.  I grew up in Madison and never sensed this one bit in any sport.  I never sensed it with Wes Matthews for instance.  I don't remember him being booed at Memorial games that year, and I was at the state semifinal where he went head-to-head against Landry and never noticed anything.

Sometimes I think you guys get a little delusional about UW Madison and how representative their message boards are of their general fan base. 

Thank God they aren't.  I've seen enough crapping on parents of our players the last 5 or 6 years to hope and pray it's just a chemically imbalanced few.  That's what I hope at least.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
Why wouldn't Marquette players get booed at the Kohl Center?

Who cares about booing?

Didn't the Simpsons teach us anything?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
or even the Illini players from Peoria, I think it was. 

Detour...
Peoria Manual to be specific. (Sergio McClain, Frankie Williams, Marcus Griffin, asst coach Wayne McClain)  That group won 4 consecutive big school state basketball championships in Illinois.

back to your regularly scheduled Vander Blue discussion.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »
We are not talking about the average fan... this whole debacle is surrounding the message boards and that fan base.  I also do not agree in the Wes Matthews case.  There was quite a bit of negativity when he committed to MU including mentions of his parents just like in the Maymon case.

I guess we have to separate the average person on the street, who simply cheers for a Marquette or Wisconsin, and the more intense fan that we see on the boards.  It is those fans to which I am referring, lest I be considered delusional.

Marquette fans booed like crazy when Joe Wolf came into the Arena playing for Carolina.  His family was surprised at the reception. 

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
Wolf's press conference was supposed to be a formality with his announcement for MU.  When that didn't happen, I heard that he got a lot of grief from all over the state.  I have a hard time believing his family was surprised at the reception.  They might have been surprised at fans throwing pennies on the court towards Kenny "Penny" Smith.

UNC was also recruiting Dave Popson at the time (considered to be a Wolf clone), and it was reported that neither wanted to play at UNC with the other.  Wolf committed first, and then Popson also chose UNC.

feedback