collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: D.C. Recommendations  (Read 3428 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
D.C. Recommendations
« on: December 19, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
I'm going to be in Washington DC after Christmas and I'm looking for some recommendations to do/eat/drink. My friend is playing in the military bowl in Annapolis but we're staying at the uva team hotel in downtown DC. I'm going to be down there for 3 nights. I've been to D.C. A couple of times but I'm always open to some good recommendations. Definitely not looking at fancy restaurants, more interested in good locals spots. And I'm in my early 20s so me and my buddies are looking for some good bars to hit. I've done most of the touristy stuff down there so I'm interested more so in exploring different parts of the city.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: D.C. Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
U Street.  All of it.  Ask any cab/uber to take you to the strip on U Street and that's where all of the action is.  Not sure how it will be during winter break

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
U Street.  All of it.  Ask any cab/uber to take you to the strip on U Street and that's where all of the action is.  Not sure how it will be during winter break

Gotta hit Ben’s too.  A must.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
Here's an insider's take:

14th St/U St should be your center of gravity. Hit up Ben's Chili Bowl for sure (make sure it's the original and not the fancy place they opened next door). Then walk over to the Brixton - I like the 3rd floor rooftop and 2nd floor - where you'll find lots of hot single chicks. If you want a chiller more local vibe, walk a couple blocks over to All Souls (craft beer bar) and Right Proper brewery. Cafe St. Ex basement has a good late night dance party. Bar Pilar for a solid bar scene and excellent food to keep you going. And DO NOT MISS the Christmas pop-up bar in Shaw (https://popupbardc.com/about, it's near everything I just mentioned, on 7th St).

Then after midnight, grab a quick uber to Wonderland Ballroom, a dive bar where people dance and get wasted and find who they're going to hook up with that night.

If you're into true dive bars, you'll want Dan's Cafe, Red Derby, or the Raven. For live funk music and cute girls, U St Music Hall is a good choice.

During the day: Be sure to get coffee at La Columbe, it's in an alley in Shaw (called Blagden Alley). For food, pop over to Bonchon, a Korean wings joint with lots of TVs for games, near the Nats' stadium - best gatdang wings you'll ever eat.

If you want some deeper cuts, just let me know. Cheers.

EDIT: can't believe I didn't mention Ooh and Aahh's. it's a soul food joint right on U St near the intersection with 10th. You can't go to DC and not eat soul food, and you can't get better than this. Order the catfish or fried chicken, mac and cheese, and yams. Maybe some collards too. The place is tiny, cramped, and hot but the cooks are awesome and I swear it will be one of the best meals you've eaten in 2017.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:10:19 PM by Babybluejeans »

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
This is exactly the type of stuff I was looking for blues, I appreciate it

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »

14th St/U St should be your center of gravity. Hit up Ben's Chili Bowl for sure (make sure it's the original and not the fancy place they opened next door). Then walk over to the Brixton - I like the 3rd floor rooftop and 2nd floor - where you'll find lots of hot single chicks. If you want a chiller more local vibe, walk a couple blocks over to All Souls (craft beer bar) and Right Proper brewery. Cafe St. Ex basement has a good late night dance party. Bar Pilar for a solid bar scene and excellent food to keep you going. And DO NOT MISS the Christmas pop-up bar in Shaw (https://popupbardc.com/about, it's near everything I just mentioned, on 7th St).

Then after midnight, grab a quick uber to Wonderland Ballroom, a dive bar where people dance and get wasted and find who they're going to hook up with that night.

If you're into true dive bars, you'll want Dan's Cafe, Red Derby, or the Raven. For live funk music and cute girls, U St Music Hall is a good choice.

During the day: Be sure to get coffee at La Columbe, it's in an alley in Shaw (called Blagden Alley). For food, pop over to Bonchon, a Korean wings joint with lots of TVs for games, near the Nats' stadium - best gatdang wings you'll ever eat.

EDIT: can't believe I didn't mention Ooh and Aahh's. it's a soul food joint right on U St near the intersection with 10th. You can't go to DC and not eat soul food, and you can't get better than this. Order the catfish or fried chicken, mac and cheese, and yams. Maybe some collards too. The place is tiny, cramped, and hot but the cooks are awesome and I swear it will be one of the best meals you've eaten in 2017.

I second this.  This place is absolutely fantastic. 

Regarding the place being packed, did you know that there is an upstairs dining area?  I ask because the staircase is way in the back, and non-obvious.  (Maybe you missed it.)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 01:21:44 AM »
I second this.  This place is absolutely fantastic. 

Regarding the place being packed, did you know that there is an upstairs dining area?  I ask because the staircase is way in the back, and non-obvious.  (Maybe you missed it.)

Ha, sadly I only recently discoveredthe upstairs. Good call on mentioning it, it's not obvious.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »
I know several people have said it here, but honestly, I would skip Ben's Chili Bowl.  Very overrated and doesn't hold a candle to Real Chili IMO.  I think it gets all the appeal because it was famous and the various celebs that have eaten there.

On the other hand, my favorite burger in the country is across the Potomac in Arlington, Ray's Hell Burger, well worth the metro ride over there.

U Street is definitely my favorite spot to go out at night in the city, but if you're looking for something different another night, DuPont Circle has a bunch of good bars and Adams Morgan has a nice strip of bars as well (it is a bit of a walk from the metro station to get there).

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »

Some great recommendations here. I spend a lot of time in Shaw and also highly recommend checking out Blagden Alley. H Street NE is another good area with trendy bars and restaurants (I'd recommend looking into Toki Underground and Maketto).

I'm also a big fan of Mezcalero on 14th street and Thip Khao a few blocks north of that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
I know several people have said it here, but honestly, I would skip Ben's Chili Bowl.  Very overrated and doesn't hold a candle to Real Chili IMO.  I think it gets all the appeal because it was famous and the various celebs that have eaten there.

On the other hand, my favorite burger in the country is across the Potomac in Arlington, Ray's Hell Burger, well worth the metro ride over there.

U Street is definitely my favorite spot to go out at night in the city, but if you're looking for something different another night, DuPont Circle has a bunch of good bars and Adams Morgan has a nice strip of bars as well (it is a bit of a walk from the metro station to get there).

Ben's is fun, tasty, but agree on the RC. But, worth going. The characters and the visit were more interesting back in the day. That neighborhood has really changed, but Ben's has kept its originalness. Obama's favorite place.

This thread has captured it very well.  U Street, H Street, DuPont.  DC has changed so much in the last 10-20 years. Great recos here that cover it
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:56:02 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
I second Dan's Cafe if you want a dive bar. When you order a drink, they pour a bottle of liquor into a squeeze bottle and give it you with a can of mixer. Between the strength of the drinks and the novelty of the squeeze bottle, it's a quick and gimmicky way to get drunk fast.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
I visit DC once a year.

* I unusually stay in Alexandria since there's four Metro Stations to chose from and the hotel rates are less expensive.  Normally stay in walking distance to King Street Metro.

* Visit anywhere in the Old Town on King Street.

* Since we're chili focused at Marquette, my family always visits Hard Times on King Street. 
It's walking distance from King Street Metro station.  Your choice of Texas, Cincinnati, Terlingua and Vegetarian.  Ask for the sample before you order and they'll bring you all four to decide.
http://www.hardtimes.com/

* A friend in DC always likes to meet at The Old Ebbit Grill.  The British supposedly were drinking here while they burned DC during the War of 1812.
https://www.ebbitt.com/

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
One of my favorite places is a bit out of the way, but definitely worth the trip.  The Angus Steak is sublime.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:47:39 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations on here guys, I appreciate it. Any marquette bars in DC to watch the game on Wednesday night vs Xavier?

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
The Adams Morgan area in general is a lot of fun, particularly Madam's Organ!

http://www.madamsorgan.com/

And if you're looking for Pizza this place although off the beaten path way up in the far northwest corner of the district near the campus of our last opponent American U, is worth the trek:

http://www.2amysdc.com/

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:33:19 PM by PorkysButthole »

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
Hit the Dublner and then Irish times. Just outside union station.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 06:54:05 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations on here guys, I appreciate it. Any marquette bars in DC to watch the game on Wednesday night vs Xavier?
Unfortunately, unless it has changed in the last year and a half, the DC Marquette Club has gone downhill. They moved the game watching's to Blackfinn, which is an okay bar. They also only do watching's for big games and usually only the weekend. Don't know if you will find anyone there or not.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
Just grabbed lunch at Oohhs & Aahhs....that place is legit. We had the buffalo and BBQ wings to start which were unreal. I had the short ribs with Mac n cheese and cornbread. Awesome spot, great hole in the wall and the servers were great. We got there right at 12 when they opened so we got a table upstairs but it filled up quickly.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
Just grabbed lunch at Oohhs & Aahhs....that place is legit. We had the buffalo and BBQ wings to start which were unreal. I had the short ribs with Mac n cheese and cornbread. Awesome spot, great hole in the wall and the servers were great. We got there right at 12 when they opened so we got a table upstairs but it filled up quickly.

Great choice

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
Unfortunately, unless it has changed in the last year and a half, the DC Marquette Club has gone downhill. They moved the game watching's to Blackfinn, which is an okay bar. They also only do watching's for big games and usually only the weekend. Don't know if you will find anyone there or not.

Used to be Penn Quarter which was fun and a great crowd.  That was nearer to the Aspin Center (about 1.5 clicks).  From Facebook, it looks like the Mason Inn is now the place. Cannot attest to the turnout.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »
Used to be Penn Quarter which was fun and a great crowd.  That was nearer to the Aspin Center (about 1.5 clicks).  From Facebook, it looks like the Mason Inn is now the place. Cannot attest to the turnout.
Mason Inn was only for the Wisconsin game. That place is no where near a metro and have way across the city from Les Aspin.

I still get the e-mail's actual bar is still Blackfinn. Only 3 official game watching's all year. The club used to do every game and have a decent turnout. Not anymore as they have moved it further and further away and taken it to places that don't give people as good of game day deals.

feedback