[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gregs Last Free Throw was Intentional Miss  (Read 6585 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Gregs Last Free Throw was Intentional Miss
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2022, 06:47:53 PM »
If he had made the free throw, and Seton Hall called a timeout, they would've been able to run the baseline AFTER the timeout? I presume that the timeout would eliminate that 'live ball' action.

Knowing they had timeouts remaining and would use them, I can't see how the tenths of a second burnt by missing a shot (and risking the fouling that we could have done), was worth it.

Another angle is that, if badness had happened and MU fouled someone, I'd rather be up 2 points than one.

I'm 100% on the Shaka bandwagon, but that strikes me as over-coaching. Or at least over-managing the game. Trying to make up for the other day?

If the second free throw was made, and SH would have called a TO without inbounding it, they would have been able to run the baseline.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mug644

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2022, 06:59:46 PM »
I guess that changes the decision-making dynamic a bit. Still, without having the pedigree and insight of Shaka, I'd lean towards making both free throws.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
Missing the shot means SH can’t run the baseline after the TO. Kur just standing there means there aren’t a lot of options. That was the problem with the Laetner shot
IMHO...you're better off having a big throw that pass and not have him run...but have him back up off the court as far as he can.  It's not like Kur can't run with his hands up as well.  We've all seen him block a few shots off a run.  Willard should have had an inbounds play to get it across half court with the initial inbound and call another timeout.  They would have had it front court side out with 1.5 and he could have drawn up a play allowing for a dribble or pump fake.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 07:09:49 PM »
Make both:  Timeout.  1.8 seconds, can run the baseline, lose on a 3.

Miss the second:  Timeout.  1.5 seconds, can't run the baseline, lose on a 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 07:13:11 PM »
Make both:  Timeout.  1.8 seconds, can run the baseline, lose on a 3.

Yep.

And avid they have no chance to advance to halfcourt, call TO and keep the clock above .3.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 07:15:18 PM »
It isn't safe for me to have you agree with me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 07:16:54 PM »
It’s not hard - take your normal set up and move to the right or left a bit. Normal shot and it will be a miss more times than not.
It’s funny you say that because GE sets up with his left foot centered on the FT line…so he is actually shooting to the right of center maybe 1’-2’? It works for him.
Understand your point though.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 07:22:13 PM »
Make both:  Timeout.  1.8 seconds, can run the baseline, lose on a 3. Also, up 2, so if something crazy like MU fouls or Seton Hall's long pass gets within the 3-pt arc, overtime becomes more likely than a loss.

Added a bit of precision for you.

Make the free throw next time, Greg. Says this know-nothing Mug.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 07:30:36 PM »
As a coach, you do what you believe would give you the highest probability of success. Shaka decided (and many other coaches would have decided) that the odds were better for Marquette to win if we had a 1-point lead and a few more tenths of a second came off the clock and the inbounder couldn't run the baseline than if we had a 2-point lead and there were a few more tenths of a second on the clock and the inbounder could have run the baseline.

I happen to agree with Shaka, but I'm sure there are other coaches who would agree with you.

The result of Shaka's decision was a Marquette victory. Seton Hall didn't even catch the pass, let alone get off the shot. Ipso fatso, Shaka's decision ended up being correct.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 07:36:45 PM »
I am intrigued that Darryl and Coach Smart used the same phrase.... The team convinced him to miss the second.

'The team'.   Not the coaches?   Was a player running the huddle?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »
I will always defer to Shaka's coaching. He will always make better "live" decisions than I could make. Even if I get the luxury of sitting on my couch, drinking a nice bourbon and second-guessing him.

And, as you say, MU won. All is good!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 07:43:52 PM »
Glad to see Shaka pass his first test.

burger

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 07:45:58 PM »
Better attention to detail than the Creighton fiasco.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 07:46:32 PM »
Missing the 2nd is the right decision.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 07:53:46 PM »
As a coach, you do what you believe would give you the highest probability of success. Shaka decided (and many other coaches would have decided) that the odds were better for Marquette to win if we had a 1-point lead and a few more tenths of a second came off the clock and the inbounder couldn't run the baseline than if we had a 2-point lead and there were a few more tenths of a second on the clock and the inbounder could have run the baseline.

I happen to agree with Shaka, but I'm sure there are other coaches who would agree with you.

The result of Shaka's decision was a Marquette victory. Seton Hall didn't even catch the pass, let alone get off the shot. Ipso fatso, Shaka's decision ended up being correct.
That miss took exactly 1/10 of one second off  the clock. Forcing the TO, and not allowing the inbounding player to run the baseline is more likely to have a bigger impact in the last second shot.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »
I am intrigued that Darryl and Coach Smart used the same phrase.... The team convinced him to miss the second.

Probably sign of a good coach when the players suggest what Shaka would want to do anyway.    Very good. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »
Plus Shaka's good dancer, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
Plus Shaka's good dancer, aina?
Lol loved the tweet with him dancing….. great attitude and leader

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 09:20:19 PM »
I guess that changes the decision-making dynamic a bit. Still, without having the pedigree and insight of Shaka, I'd lean towards making both free throws.

From the postgame, that was a player decision. Shaka said the players definitely wanted the deliberate miss if Greg made the first, so he went with it. Unless they Laettner it (unlikely with Kur guarding the inbounder) the only real shot for SHU was a half court heave, in which case one or two doesn't matter.

That seems like a big statement of confidence in the players to let them make that decision.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 09:32:08 PM »
Wisconsin recently did the same thing. I do not think making the second free throw helps much, since in either case the last shot by the opponent is almost for sure going to be a three point shot. The only risk I see is being dumb enough to foul.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2022, 09:36:14 PM »
He will always make better "live" decisions than I could make. Even if I get the luxury of sitting on my couch, drinking a nice bourbon and second-guessing him.

You realize you are in the minority on this board with this opinion, no matter who the coach is.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2022, 09:41:07 PM »

In the mic’d up game I saw a couple times where players made suggestions during a time out. Surprisingly, it was young guys - Jones & Osa if I remember correctly.

I thought at the time there must be a great coaching atmosphere if freshmen feel that comfortable.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2022, 09:42:19 PM »
Yep.

And avid they have no chance to advance to halfcourt, call TO and keep the clock above .3.
So MU can miss a FT and SH can board it and get a timeout with .3 coming off, but they can't catch a pass and call a timeout with .3 coming off? 

I'm not saying Shaka was wrong...but your math is.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2022, 09:43:43 PM »
Wisconsin recently did the same thing. I do not think making the second free throw helps much, since in either case the last shot by the opponent is almost for sure going to be a three point shot. The only risk I see is being dumb enough to foul.

I'd whip that ball at the rim and hope they foul on the catch...especially if I felt the refs owed me one.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2022, 09:47:45 PM »
Yep.

This is true, but I’m almost positive seton hall had one more timeout even after they called one after the miss. Unless you are talking about the feasibility of making the pass without being able to run the baseline, which is much tougher. Missing the free throw was the right call. It seems the players were all over it.

feedback