* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129723 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4550 on: April 22, 2020, 05:58:54 PM »
Battle stations, battle stations.   Tsmith and jockitch, please report to your weapons.

In regards to Cuomo, he was spotted looking at properties in the Hamptons on easter sunday, so his whole "emergence" is just another CNN stunt.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/492907-hamptons-bicyclist-files-police-report-after-verbal-confrontation-with-cnns
It is stupid and selfish for *anyone* to break quarantine like that.

Now don't you feel stupid(er)?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4551 on: April 22, 2020, 06:01:19 PM »
It is stupid and selfish for *anyone* to break quarantine like that.

Now don't you feel stupid(er)?

I think the correct response is, “yeah but YOUR PEOPLE broke social distancing rules to protest the quarantine, endangering many more people!”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4552 on: April 22, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »
I think the correct response is, “yeah but YOUR PEOPLE broke social distancing rules to protest the quarantine, endangering many more people!”
Nah, I'm not going to do whataboutism. I'm also not the hypocrite Ziggy showed himself to be.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4553 on: April 22, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
Well, that's weird, I see where you got that - you clicked on "Cases in the US" which takes you to a new page with different numbers, but if you scroll down the original page, and go to "Global Cases Added Per Day" you'll see the 39,460 - which corresponds with the JHU data:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I see your numbers now. That is weird and if i go to worldmeters (25,985) i get a totally different number.  Depends when the numbers were taken

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4554 on: April 22, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
Las Vegas Mayor really campaigning for WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD today.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4555 on: April 22, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »
The State of Minnesota is partnering with Mayo Clinic and U of Minnesota to develop largest COVID-19 testing capacity in the US. Effective immediately, every person in Minnesota who has COVID-19 symptoms - even mild ones - can get tested.

https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2020/mayo-u-of-m-increased-testing

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4556 on: April 22, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
Depends when the numbers were taken

Agreed.  I have mostly been following the JHU tool - just because I think they're focused on collecting the data in a consistent manner - not modeling, or predicting - just data. But then I linked the Bloomberg page because it was easier to see.  Anyhow - whether it's meaningful or not - something to keep an eye on.  According to JHU, the US has been adding 28k-33k cases per day for a couple weeks.  So the jump up caught my eye.

Also agree with others - it could be a factor of more testing - though the fact that it was 9-10 days from Easter weekend makes me wonder...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4557 on: April 22, 2020, 06:49:45 PM »
Agreed.  I have mostly been following the JHU tool - just because I think they're focused on collecting the data in a consistent manner - not modeling, or predicting - just data. But then I linked the Bloomberg page because it was easier to see.  Anyhow - whether it's meaningful or not - something to keep an eye on.  According to JHU, the US has been adding 28k-33k cases per day for a couple weeks.  So the jump up caught my eye.

Also agree with others - it could be a factor of more testing - though the fact that it was 9-10 days from Easter weekend makes me wonder...

We will never know for sure. Even when we are past this, the numbers infected and dead from COVID-19 will just be educated guesses.

That made sense for the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, but it’s awfully disappointing in 2020.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4559 on: April 22, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
Go back to sleep CDC

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/494224-cdc-director-tries-to-walk-back-remarks-on-coronavirus

The headline is misleading, as Redfield didn’t walk back anything. Trump wanted him to walk his comments back and say he was misquoted, but Redfield simply reiterated what he said and specifically verified that he had been quoted accurately.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4560 on: April 22, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
Interesting read on the Santa Clara case discovered today.  Strong Wuhan link. 

You really have to wonder how widespread this is/was in China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/santa-clara-county-coronavirus-death.html

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4561 on: April 22, 2020, 08:45:52 PM »
"It won't be coming back in the fall, though, that it was. It will becoming back in smaller doses that we can contain. The doctor was saying, and I spoke to him at great length, he was saying should it come back together, now you have the flu and the embers of corona. And in my opinion, from everything we've seen, everything we've witnessed. What we've we will not go through. Just gone through, we will not go through - embers of corona, and you could have some a big flu- you could have, they could combine, if system. and if they come together -- it's not great. But we will not go through what we went through for the last two months."

I know this is harder to read & de-cipher than 4never's babbling - but a great look at how clueless the guy is.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4562 on: April 22, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »
The doctor leading the Trump administration’s vaccine agency said he was removed from his post at the Department of Health and Human Services and moved into a smaller role at another agency in retaliation for pushing for “scientifically-vetted solutions” over drugs that have not been proven to treat the coronavirus.

Dr. Rick Bright said in a statement to The New York Times on Wednesday that he had clashed with HHS “political leadership” over his resistance to funding “potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections.”

That disagreement led to Bright’s removal as the director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority in HHS, which leads the federal effort to develop vaccines and other drugs. The director of that agency is not appointed by Congress.

Bright told the Times that he specifically limited the “broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4563 on: April 22, 2020, 10:42:04 PM »

Actually, it isn’t. If you develop symptoms, contact your doc and you will get tested.

Now we only need the other 49 to follow suit.

T. Mbakwe

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4564 on: April 22, 2020, 11:03:13 PM »
Scoop mods are awesome. May they remain symptom-free!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4565 on: April 23, 2020, 07:52:43 AM »
China flare up.  I wonder if related to spread within China or with the proximity of NK coming from there. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/world/asia/china-coronavirus-new-infections.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4566 on: April 23, 2020, 08:47:32 AM »
Another example of Trump's inconsistent communication and how it is causing more harm than good.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/coronavirus-government-response-updates-pelosi-insist-truth-trump/story?id=70284957&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_related

Tweet out things like "LIBERATE MINNESOTA," riling up protestors, etc.  Then telling the governor of Georgia to not exactly liberate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4567 on: April 23, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »
Another example of Trump's inconsistent communication and how it is causing more harm than good.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/coronavirus-government-response-updates-pelosi-insist-truth-trump/story?id=70284957&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_related

Tweet out things like "LIBERATE MINNESOTA," riling up protestors, etc.  Then telling the governor of Georgia to not exactly liberate.

I actually think this is all intentional: throw red meat to the base who still thinks this is a hoax...while also trying to keep deaths down. It won't work, obviously.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4568 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
I've been going back and forth on this.  Does the President just not have the mental discipline to be consistent?  Or does he see this chaos as beneficial to him somehow?

Or another option.  Maybe the chaos actually IS beneficial and he's playing four dimensional chess here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4569 on: April 23, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
I've been going back and forth on this.  Does the President just not have the mental discipline to be consistent?  Or does he see this chaos as beneficial to him somehow?

Or another option.  Maybe the chaos actually IS beneficial and he's playing four dimensional chess here.

I think he wants to be on the record both ways. If states open up and things go well, he can take credit. If states open up and things go poorly, he can throw the governors under the bus.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4570 on: April 23, 2020, 09:26:16 AM »
Found out last night that my apartment building has had multiple positive cases... which are now cleared. Sweet.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4571 on: April 23, 2020, 09:30:24 AM »
There is an antibody test to see if you have already had COVID-19 available to anyone who wants one in Chicago at Fullerton and Ashland. Out of pocket cost is $275.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/lincoln-park-facility-among-the-first-to-offer-testing-for-coronavirus-antibodies/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4572 on: April 23, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »

Its all symptoms of Narcissistic Syndrome.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4573 on: April 23, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
There is an antibody test to see if you have already had COVID-19 available to anyone who wants one in Chicago at Fullerton and Ashland. Out of pocket cost is $275.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/lincoln-park-facility-among-the-first-to-offer-testing-for-coronavirus-antibodies/

I would strongly advise that no-one waste their money on this. The results have no clinical significance or value, and companies like these are being predatory, trying to profit off peoples fears, and in the process charging a massive fee, for a test that is pretty cheap to buy and run.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4574 on: April 23, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
I would strongly advise that no-one waste their money on this. The results have no clinical significance or value, and companies like these are being predatory, trying to profit off peoples fears, and in the process charging a massive fee, for a test that is pretty cheap to buy and run.

So there is a business opportunity here?
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback