collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129840 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4225 on: April 16, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »

Nobody sane, at least.

Source for the insane you think suggested it, please.

I know. You were being hyperbolic. A lot of that from those here who claim to be the science lovers.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4226 on: April 16, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
Source for the insane you think suggested it, please.

I know. You were being hyperbolic. A lot of that from those here who claim to be the science lovers.

You know who I’m talking about.

Hyperbole by an anonymous poster on a message board is different from a President with a known disdain for science touting his “intuition” in the midst of a crisis. People are desperate and vulnerable; he should know better.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4227 on: April 16, 2020, 11:23:40 PM »
Germany is dominating testing right now and that's leading to good prognosis for getting back to normal life.

Singapore explosion of cases is worrying after seemingly having the situation under control.

I'm beginning to think every country is fudging numbers in a significant way.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4228 on: April 16, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »
Germany is dominating testing right now and that's leading to good prognosis for getting back to normal life.

Singapore explosion of cases is worrying after seemingly having the situation under control.

I'm beginning to think every country is fudging numbers in a significant way.

Some intentionally - China.
Some because of a lack of testing - U.S.
Some for both reasons.

Besides Singapore, China is also seeing an increase.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4229 on: April 16, 2020, 11:51:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/IvanTheK/status/1250960950955397120?s=19

Same for his business task force (some companies weren't even notified they were on it). One more entity upon whom to shift the blame.

"I don't take responsibility at all". He wasn't kidding.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4230 on: April 17, 2020, 05:21:24 AM »
This is a pretty cool tool that has state data.  Including court info on case acceleration/deceleration. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/europe/united-kingdom-coronavirus-cases.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4231 on: April 17, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »
I’d argue his entire medical career outside of his show and Oprah is quite accomplished. One of my college friend’s cardiologist father was a colleague of his and said he’s easily one of the best surgeons he’s ever known. But I agree he’s latched on to the financial opportunities outside of that realm. And that’s worthy of  ::) I always find it funny when people need to act like he’s some whack job moron cause they don’t agree with him (not pointing fingers here)

That's neat, but every day he walks out on his show and recommends magic beans and other crap to highly suggestible people he is basically taking a dump on his Hippocratic oath.

That's why he is hard to respect.  He is a business man loaded with medical credentials peddling crap to stupid people.  And now he has hitched his wagon to Fox News.  He's a snake oil salesman and deserve the disdain he has earned from his colleagues.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4232 on: April 17, 2020, 07:36:40 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52319956

Our top story: China has denied a cover-up over its coronavirus death figures after it revised up the number who died in the city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, by 50% to 3,869.

Still too low.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4233 on: April 17, 2020, 07:41:51 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52319956

Our top story: China has denied a cover-up over its coronavirus death figures after it revised up the number who died in the city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, by 50% to 3,869.

Still too low.

I agree.  Wuhan is as big as NYC.  Just no way the magnitude was where they reported based on what we know now. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4234 on: April 17, 2020, 09:02:33 AM »

This is a pretty cool tool that has state data.  Including court info on case acceleration/deceleration. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/europe/united-kingdom-coronavirus-cases.html

I like that for the state-level data...and for the fact that it shows both raw numbers and numbers per 100k people. The latter helps to dispel the fallacy that the virus isn't spreading in sparsely populated states, where the numbers might be small but the case rate per 100k is higher.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4235 on: April 17, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
I agree.  Wuhan is as big as NYC.  Just no way the magnitude was where they reported based on what we know now.

There are two other big differences.

1) In Wuhan, everything was locked down. And I mean locked down. No going anywhere. In NYC there was a lot of "essential businesses" that still had people taking public transportation to and from work/stores, and people just ignoring orders. None of that occurred in Wuhan, which led the R0 there to be around 0.2 (not 0.9 as is the current best in NYC).

2) People that tested positive were put into makeshift hospitals right away and isolated from family/others.

3) In NYC initial inoculation was distributed across multiple individuals in significantly different areas of the city. Would encourage increased spread.

The question is how much could this reasonably have affected things. It would have had massive effects though. Also, how much infection had spread in Wuhan before they even knew about it. We honestly will never know.

My guess on the reality. The Wuhan numbers are actually likely 1.5-2x higher than reported. Just saw that Wuhan deaths were increased by EXACTLY 50%. That seems suspicious...too round of a number.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:27:53 AM by forgetful »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4236 on: April 17, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »
Japan to State of Emergency. There’s just no current way out. #WeDone

Only Q us when do we see widespread looting, riots, suicides, bodies on streets? It’s coming. 

#LastDays
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4237 on: April 17, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/IvanTheK/status/1250960950955397120?s=19

Whether it was Hannity or Miller or Meadows or Graham or Ivanka or ???, somebody convinced the emperor to stop screaming that he "alone" could open the country (because of that little document known as the Constitution).

That person (or those people) deserves a lot of credit, because this actually is one of the few very smart things this administration has done during this crisis.

Now, if the NC governor opens up the state and the shyte hits the fan, it is the governor's fault. And if the NC governor waits too long after the threat has passed and lets companies go out of business, it is also the governor's fault.

This absolutely gives the emperor some political cover, as well as something to scream about when he can start holding rallies again.

Who is not to blame?

TRUMP!

Who do we blame?

THE GOVERNORS!

I seriously believe it was a shrewd political move, even if several of the emperor's handlers had to tie him down and force him to understand it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4238 on: April 17, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »

Only Q us when do we see widespread looting, riots, suicides, bodies on streets? It’s coming. 

#LastDays

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4239 on: April 17, 2020, 09:39:16 AM »

#LastDays

#STFU

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4240 on: April 17, 2020, 09:41:43 AM »
Whether it was Hannity or Miller or Meadows or Graham or Ivanka or ???, somebody convinced the emperor to stop screaming that he "alone" could open the country (because of that little document known as the Constitution).

That person (or those people) deserves a lot of credit, because this actually is one of the few very smart things this administration has done during this crisis.

Now, if the NC governor opens up the state and the shyte hits the fan, it is the governor's fault. And if the NC governor waits too long after the threat has passed and lets companies go out of business, it is also the governor's fault.

This absolutely gives the emperor some political cover, as well as something to scream about when he can start holding rallies again.

Who is not to blame?

TRUMP!

Who do we blame?

THE GOVERNORS!

I seriously believe it was a shrewd political move, even if several of the emperor's handlers had to tie him down and force him to understand it.

Which is why it's also smart for governors to form pacts to defray as well. Ultimately, governors need to continue ring the bell that all uncertainty is due to a lack of federal response (still!) to testing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4241 on: April 17, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »

1) In Wuhan, everything was locked down. And I mean locked down. No going anywhere.

Not quite everything. They were still actively and knowingly exporting the virus to the rest of the world.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4242 on: April 17, 2020, 10:02:43 AM »
Not quite everything. They were still actively and knowingly exporting the virus to the rest of the world.

And what used to be the world power were still telling people that they were handling that active export of the virus just great, that there will be a miracle when the weather warms up, that the country will be open by Easter, and that we’ll have 0 cases by April.

Terrible mishandling by both sides.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4243 on: April 17, 2020, 10:05:16 AM »

Yup.   Plenty of blame to go around.    The only places coming close to succeeding have had social isolation, plenty of supplies and endless testing.     Keep sciencing and using best practices. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4244 on: April 17, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »

If, indeed, Wuhan was "knowingly exporting the virus" here, their leaders must have been freakin' delighted that our leader was ignoring most red flags, lying to his citizens over and over and over and over (and over) again, screaming at rallies about Dem hoaxes, and proclaiming that it was just like the common flu.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4245 on: April 17, 2020, 10:16:31 AM »

"Exporting the virus" makes it sound so transactional.  Does that mean we were "importing the virus" while Nero fiddled?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4246 on: April 17, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
And what used to be the world power were still telling people that they were handling that active export of the virus just great, that there will be a miracle when the weather warms up, that the country will be open by Easter, and that we’ll have 0 cases by April.

Terrible mishandling by both sides.

Moral equivalency for (probably accidentally) creating and then knowingly exporting a killer virus (while protecting your own citizens) and doing a less than perfect job of dealing with one that was sent to you(Spain, Italy, USA, the entire world)? Really?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4247 on: April 17, 2020, 10:24:30 AM »
There are two other big differences.

1) In Wuhan, everything was locked down. And I mean locked down. No going anywhere. In NYC there was a lot of "essential businesses" that still had people taking public transportation to and from work/stores, and people just ignoring orders. None of that occurred in Wuhan, which led the R0 there to be around 0.2 (not 0.9 as is the current best in NYC).

2) People that tested positive were put into makeshift hospitals right away and isolated from family/others.

3) In NYC initial inoculation was distributed across multiple individuals in significantly different areas of the city. Would encourage increased spread.

The question is how much could this reasonably have affected things. It would have had massive effects though. Also, how much infection had spread in Wuhan before they even knew about it. We honestly will never know.

My guess on the reality. The Wuhan numbers are actually likely 1.5-2x higher than reported. Just saw that Wuhan deaths were increased by EXACTLY 50%. That seems suspicious...too round of a number.

Wuhan had 'unknown' spread for Dec & Jan--so your comment is more about once they responded. 

NYC had 'unknown spread' essentially end Jan, Feb and early Mar. before lock down.  So same time duration -- ~2 months. 

Unlike some here trying to extrapolate things to policies, reactions, etc, my comment is just about numbers and based on us seeing the virus spread in multiple areas unchecked (like wuhan) they are too low to be real.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4248 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »
"Exporting the virus" makes it sound so transactional.  Does that mean we were "importing the virus" while Nero fiddled?

They locked Wuhan down from the rest of China. But not from the rest of the world. They knew what they were “exporting”. The rest of the world (early on) had no idea what they were “importing”. If we knew exactly what we were “importing” why was Trump’s travel ban from China met with hostility and cries of racism and xenophobia?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4249 on: April 17, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »

#LastDays
Live look-in at JB
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.