collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129856 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1750 on: March 19, 2020, 08:08:18 AM »
I had some family and friends think I was crazy for flying back to China last week rather than flying back to America.  Saw this coming a mile away.  The lack of preparation, precaution, and action in America is appalling.  These "leaders" need to start making some unpopular decisions NOW before it's too late.  Stay safe everyone!

My son works in Japan.  Early last week, my wife mentioned that she would like him back here.  I told her he was safer over there.  I think I was right about that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: March 19, 2020, 08:17:19 AM »
Then there's this.

Russia deploying coronavirus disinformation to sow panic in West, EU document says
Robin Emmott

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disinformation/russia-deploying-coronavirus-disinformation-to-sow-panic-in-west-eu-document-says-idUSKBN21518F

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: March 19, 2020, 08:31:11 AM »
The proposed bailout package for the airlines is immoral.

Here is an industry that for the last 10 years has gotten fat and rich by fleecing Americans for every last cent. Most charge to check luggage, most charge to pick a seat in advance, and some even charge for water and carry-on bags. They have squeezed in seats, making flying unbearably uncomfortable. They have increased penalties for changes and cancellations (or forbid them entirely). They have increased the cost of flying significantly. Executives have gotten rich, and so have shareholders thanks to buybacks and the like.

Now, at the first sign of adversity, they come begging the same people they've been fleecing for a huge handout.

And the shytty thing is that we pretty much have to bail them out for the good of our economy.

'Merica!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1754 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
I am not a big proponent of what Liz Warren is preaching above.

Except for the airlines.  If they want to take another bailout, it should come with strings.  Big ones.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Class71

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: March 19, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »
Hydroxychloroquine

That be the solution

Maybe. Used in China and now France with possibly some success. A pair of HIV drugs developed in the USA have also been used in China with some success if you believe their stats.

New York is just the beginning. If people throughout the country ignore the Fed. Guidelines we will all be at risk. On average for each case 4 more people are infected. Add that to the fact symptoms do not show until 2-15+ days after a person is contagious and we are just now rolling out high volume testing and you get the picture.

This threat is real. Follow the guidelines to the letter. It effects all ages with 50% of all hospital cases in the 20-50 age category.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1756 on: March 19, 2020, 09:37:31 AM »
The tweet:
But multiple patients of mine can’t leave the hospital because they’re awaiting prior auths from commercial insurers.

Insurance companies are clogging up the system in the middle of a damn pandemic.

Although the insurance is holding up the process, technically the hospital is too. Just treat the patient and fight with the insurance company later.

That it probably what it will come to. But there's a catch - while the hospital may be left to fight for its payment if the company doesn't authorize the inpatient care, the patient may also be left holding the bag for subsequent lower-level treatment (i.e., nursing home assisted living, outpatient). So it's a financial risk for both the hospital and the patient to discharge or transfer without all contractually required authorizations.

IMHO - this is another of those problems Congress could easily solve. Just pass a measure that allows hospitals to transfer patients to lower levels of care (SNF, outpatient or whatever), and require that insurance companies pay with or without normally required authorizations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: March 19, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
For sure. But if all these measures go another 2+ months people* are gonna lose their minds.

*Me.

Might want to get into the mindset that you are in military deployment.  You're doing this for everyone and the greater good.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: March 19, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »
Let the airlines burn or limit their scummyness

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: March 19, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »

That it probably what it will come to. But there's a catch - while the hospital may be left to fight for its payment if the company doesn't authorize the inpatient care, the patient may also be left holding the bag for subsequent lower-level treatment (i.e., nursing home assisted living, outpatient). So it's a financial risk for both the hospital and the patient to discharge or transfer without all contractually required authorizations.

IMHO - this is another of those problems Congress could easily solve. Just pass a measure that allows hospitals to transfer patients to lower levels of care (SNF, outpatient or whatever), and require that insurance companies pay with or without normally required authorizations.

I agree gooo.  I am happy we seem to be mobilizing, but I have yet to see the coordinated response--so piecemail right now.  Step one is getting people to shut it down and we finally got the Dr's out in front to declare the crisis (fauci).  So much more to go.  Get rules out of the way, re-purpose our infrastructure (factories, hotels, military), etc.

Now its time to get the face of the response out there that knows what is in the way of putting all of our countries might behind testing, treatment/therapy, vaccines and eventual return to a new normal.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: March 19, 2020, 09:48:12 AM »
Hydroxychloroquine

That be the solution

The statistics I've seen show a small benefit of hydroxychloroquine, but if used in combination with azithromycin, it seems to be quite effective.

The problem is that they are testing it on so few patients, it is hard to know what it means.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1240352261072498688?fbclid=IwAR2fGTij73XFfT3y9USNEP0IWRqchaHXNhs9ddJHJS3J79FA04E_m92uUmQ

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: March 19, 2020, 09:49:13 AM »
Let the airlines burn or limit their scummyness

Yup.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: March 19, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »

This is what I did at my firm before I opened my own firm (revenue cycle). No insurance company is going to withold payment in this time of crisis for this reason. Or I should say, no arbitrator/judge is going to allow it. If it is 5 people this tweet is talking about, discharge them and make room.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: March 19, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »
Zero new cases reported in China yesterday. First time since outbreak.

Undeniably good news for humanity.

We are all in this together.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: March 19, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »
The statistics I've seen show a small benefit of hydroxychloroquine, but if used in combination with azithromycin, it seems to be quite effective.

The problem is that they are testing it on so few patients, it is hard to know what it means.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1240352261072498688?fbclid=IwAR2fGTij73XFfT3y9USNEP0IWRqchaHXNhs9ddJHJS3J79FA04E_m92uUmQ

Could someone explain why an anti biotic would be useful in fighting a virus? That goes against everything I learned from Scrubs, House and ER lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: March 19, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »
Zero new cases reported in China yesterday. First time since outbreak.

Undeniably good news for humanity.

We are all in this together.

There were still cases from people coming into China.  34 new cases... 0 in Hubei. Which is reassuring... If you believe them.  ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: March 19, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »
New York State just increased their numbers by 30% today.

So, I guess the testing is finally coming back...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1767 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »
4 patients in ICU in southern MKE suburb including a 23 year old on respirator who are suspected Covid-19 patients
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: March 19, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
Could someone explain why an anti biotic would be useful in fighting a virus? That goes against everything I learned from Scrubs, House and ER lol

Azithromycin is a bit unique there (probably other macrolides too), they do exhibit some antiviral properties, specifically in bronchial epithelial cells that COVID-19 targets. Weakly antiviral, and shouldn't be used for viral treatments, but this case is a bit unique, where the possible benefit may outweigh the risks. It's also only seen in combination therapies.

There is no known biochemical reason why chloroquine should work either, but it seems to have an effect in combination therapies.

What is likely occurring in the combination therapy is that Azithromycin is interfering with viral replication in targeting of the receptor for cell entry. Chloroquine (and its related compounds) are acting to reduce the inflammatory response, so together they are having some efficacy in reducing the need for hospitalization.

If I were a medical doctor, which I am not, I'd be pretreating patients with CF. that may have been exposed to COVID-19, with this combination. Unlikely to cause harm, and they are particularly at risk of this illness.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:38:38 AM by forgetful »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
Azithromycin is a bit unique there (probably other macrolides too), they do exhibit some antiviral properties, specifically in bronchial epithelial cells that COVID-19 targets. Weakly antiviral, and shouldn't be used for viral treatments, but this case is a bit unique, where the possible benefit may outweigh the risks. It's also only seen in combination therapies.

There is no known biochemical reason why chloroquine should work either, but it seems to have an effect in combination therapies.

Fixed that for ya :-P

The same applies to quite a few treatments, some work and we have no real idea why.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: March 19, 2020, 10:31:09 AM »
Fixed that for ya :-P

The same applies to quite a few treatments, some work and we have no real idea why.

Thank you, fixed it and updated with a bit more info.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1771 on: March 19, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
Not just old people.

@liamstack: 38% of Coronavirus patients who were sick enough to be hospitalized were were between the ages of 20 and 54. Roughly half of those were between 20 and 44. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-young-people.html

Quoting to bump.  Not just a"boomer remover".  Here's the official CDC PR:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm?s_cid=mm6912e2_w

Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged ≥85 years, 26% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged ≤19 years (Figure 2). The percentage of persons hospitalized increased with age, from 2%–3% among persons aged ≤9 years, to ≥31% among adults aged ≥85 years. (Table).

Among 121 patients known to have been admitted to an ICU, 7% of cases were reported among adults ≥85 years, 46% among adults aged 65–84 years, 36% among adults aged 45–64 years, and 12% among adults aged 20–44 years (Figure 2). No ICU admissions were reported among persons aged ≤19 years. Percentages of ICU admissions were lowest among adults aged 20–44 years (2%–4%) and highest among adults aged 75–84 years (11%–31%) (Table).

12% of ICU patients are 20-44.  Though, I would prefer they narrow in on that band a little.  Are most closer to 40?  Are there a lot in the 20-35 range?  Good news, if you're ≤ 19, have fun.  Just don't get the rest of us sick.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: March 19, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
Quoting to bump.  Not just a"boomer remover".  Here's the official CDC PR:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm?s_cid=mm6912e2_w

12% of ICU patients are 20-44.  Though, I would prefer they narrow in on that band a little.  Are most closer to 40?  Are there a lot in the 20-35 range?  Good news, if you're ≤ 19, have fun.  Just don't get the rest of us sick.

Also, of the young patients in severe state, how many are healthy vs with co-morbidities?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Also, of the young patients in severe state, how many are healthy vs with co-morbidities?

These are the real stats that are needed.

It's easy enough to say 50 twenty somethings are in the hospital. But what if 49/50 have no immune system?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1774 on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:44 AM »
I am not a big proponent of what Liz Warren is preaching above.

Except for the airlines.  If they want to take another bailout, it should come with strings.  Big ones.

Just curious. Why do you support companies using taxpayer-funded bailouts to engage in share repurchases?

feedback