Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New arena  (Read 13007 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
New arena
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
What do you guys think Marquette will do scheduling wise including the opener in the new arena? And also throughout the year. What adjustments do you think they will make if any.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: New arena
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
What do you guys think Marquette will do scheduling wise including the opener in the new arena? And also throughout the year. What adjustments do you think they will make if any.

Let's hope they don't do the idiotic thing that DePaul did and schedule a team that

a.  would pack the arena with their opponent's fans
b.  likely beat them handily
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:46:20 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »

I wouldn't expect much more than a run-of-the-mill buy game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
Hopefully they at least do the gavitt game to open. A random big 10 team would be better than little sisters of the poor state
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
Hopefully they at least do the gavitt game to open. A random big 10 team would be better than little sisters of the poor state
MU is due to play the next two on the road in that event.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
Let's hope they don't do the idiotic thing that DePaul did and schedule a team that

a.  would pack the arena with their opponent's fans
b.  likely beat them handily

Short of the Washington Generals, not many teams adhere to both criteria for DePaul.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:12 AM »
I'd like to see a ~100-150 RPI team that we can pound but will aslo help the non-con SOS. Thread the needle baby!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »
I'd like to see a ~100-150 RPI team that we can pound but will aslo help the non-con SOS. Thread the needle baby!

Next year's non-conference schedule, with a road Gavitt Game and two of Kansas, Tennessee and Louisville is going to be pretty good as it is.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »
pretty sure it was announced somewhere that they aren't bringing in a big name for the opener.  Game 1, cupcake.  game 2, Home and Home game.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
I vote for a run of the mill buy game.  No need to open with a big name opponent.  The new arena will be cool enough to check out, without the distraction of a top notch opponent  :o  Gotta walk around and check out all of the food and beer offerings.

On the arena topic.  I want to visit the MU arena web site, but my computer says that that page has malware... I'm on a mac running bitdefender and this has never happened to me for any other site.  Anyone else having this happen? The link below is fine, but when I click to go to the arena page, I get the warning...

http://www.gomarquette.com/tickets/m-baskbl-main.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:37:58 AM by GOO »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
How about an exhibition with the Bucks?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
Financially, I think MU is better off with a buy-in cupcake, given that the interest level in the first game in the new arena likely leads to big crowd regardless of the opponent.   

Don't "waste" the opener on a better team likely to draw a decent crowd later in the season; instead, get a better crowd for a game that would draw poorly if scheduled a few games into the season.

Or just schedule ND.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
Financially, I think MU is better off with a buy-in cupcake, given that the interest level in the first game in the new arena likely leads to big crowd regardless of the opponent.   

Don't "waste" the opener on a better team likely to draw a decent crowd later in the season; instead, get a better crowd for a game that would draw poorly if scheduled a few games into the season.

Or just schedule ND.

+1,000,000,000

You know the drill.....ND sucks!

The Scat

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
How about an exhibition with the Bucks?
Good idea - that would allow Marquette to be the best defensive team on the court.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
Looking at the new arena website, it appears that MU is not going to base the initial season seating on priority points, but base it on where you currently sit at the BC:

"Marquette Athletics will engage with current 2017-18 season ticket members in the appropriate sequence based on his/her current seat location at the BMO Harris Bradley Center and priority point level"

And also...

"In year one (2018-19), we will reseat the new arena using the same processes that we’ve used in the past. Prior to year two, 2019-20, we will reseat based on priority points, giving season ticket members the opportunity to choose from the best available seats."

I thought the reseating process in every past year was best available seat based on number of points.  So what is this "process we've used in the past" going to be for next season?

So does this mean that if you had a large number of points but chose to sit in the 400 level at the BC, that you will be in the upper level in the new arena, regardless of points?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »
The process in the past is seating based on priorities set by the STH. So Marquette will look at your priority list and give you seats that best match your requests. Starting the second year, fans will pick exact seats, which wasn't previously allowed based on how the system was set up. That's how I read it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
Good idea - that would allow Marquette to be the best defensive team on the court.

Winner

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
The process in the past is seating based on priorities set by the STH. So Marquette will look at your priority list and give you seats that best match your requests. Starting the second year, fans will pick exact seats, which wasn't previously allowed based on how the system was set up. That's how I read it.

Key for myself, and people i sit near, will be knowing the student sections and the band section. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »
Whomever the opponent is, it will say a great deal about the expectations for next year.  If it's a Notre Dame, the belief is that we will be very good and expect to compete with anyone.  If it's a Georgia Southern, it says we just want the wins and will be content with getting to the tournament.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
What do you guys think Marquette will do scheduling wise including the opener in the new arena?

Three simple letters that could be the most perfect solution ever proposed on Scoop:

LUC

With half their team graduating, it would be the highest profile cupcake ever, and having Sister Jean courtside for the inaugural game might pay future dividends from a divinity standpoint.

BTW - Broeker might be wise to book them now before they meet Nova in the national championship.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:09:12 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 01:16:53 PM »
It will be a run of the mill bye game. Hopefully one that didn't hurt our resume. You definitely want to win the first game in the new stadium
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
Three simple letters that could be the most perfect solution ever proposed on Scoop:

LUC

With half their team graduating, it would be the highest profile cupcake ever, and having Sister Jean courtside for the inaugural game might pay future dividends from a divinity standpoint.

BTW - Broeker might be wise to book them now before they meet Nova in the national championship.

In an ordinary year, that would be perfect. Old rival from just down the road and such. Popular among MU old-timers so there would be interest, but not so popular that it would ordinarily be a sellout. But after the run LUC has had, this upcoming season we might sell that game out on a Tuesday night in mid-December.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Anyone hear whether they'll have any tours or open house events before the reseating so one can get a good idea of the site lines/view/feeling of various seating locations?

MUDagwood

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
Anyone hear whether they'll have any tours or open house events before the reseating so one can get a good idea of the site lines/view/feeling of various seating locations?

WILL THERE BE TOURS OF THE WESC PRIOR TO THE 2018-19 BASKETBALL SEASON?

We are unable to provide access to the arena prior to seat selection. Our goal is to provide an event this Fall exclusive for Marquette season ticket members. Please check back regularly for more information.

Ridiculous. 

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »
WILL THERE BE TOURS OF THE WESC PRIOR TO THE 2018-19 BASKETBALL SEASON?

We are unable to provide access to the arena prior to seat selection. Our goal is to provide an event this Fall exclusive for Marquette season ticket members. Please check back regularly for more information.

Ridiculous.

+1

Very disappointing.  Basically you'll be picking seats blind.  The online views are never even close to reality.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »
If you’ve ever been to a college or professional basketball game you should be able to make an educated guess about what your view will be depending on where you’re sitting relative to the court. I assume they’ll provide a seating map for the new arena to use as a reference.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »
+1

Very disappointing.  Basically you'll be picking seats blind.  The online views are never even close to reality.

It's an active construction site.  You can't have 5000-10,000 people wandering all over the place.  Insurance, OSHA, etc.

Some people just want to bitch. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »
From what I can tell, there isn't a bad seat in the house
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
From what I can tell, there isn't a bad seat in the house

Sight lines, no.  In those long rows, yes.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
It's an active construction site.  You can't have 5000-10,000 people wandering all over the place.  Insurance, OSHA, etc.

How about pushing the seat selection back?  Why do the seats have to be selected in May/June for a season that starts in November?  Do the seat selection in August/September when the area is open or closer to being ready.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:51 PM »

Also, I don't think it's "bitching" when MU is going to be significantly increasing ticket prices.  Four decent season tickets could easily cost $3k-$5K plus additional mandatory B&G contributions.  For that kind of outlay I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see in person what you're being asked to pay for.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:57:20 PM by ChuckyChip »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 08:29:37 PM »

Nah, there's tours through there on a frequent basis. Also, more than like 3k workers at peak.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
How about pushing the seat selection back?  Why do the seats have to be selected in May/June for a season that starts in November?  Do the seat selection in August/September when the area is open or closer to being ready.

Maybe it simply needs to be figured out beforehand. Perhaps you don’t understand Marquette’s timeline.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 10:14:34 PM »
If you’ve ever been to a college or professional basketball game you should be able to make an educated guess about what your view will be depending on where you’re sitting relative to the court. I assume they’ll provide a seating map for the new arena to use as a reference.
You can go to the Bucks site to see a 3D map.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

I understand the logic behind this thought, but it's precisely because I've been in many college and pro arena's that I believe it is so important to see it in person to make the best seat selection as possible.  Arena's are surprisingly different and have such a dramatic effect on one's viewing experience.   Well.... unless you're 5th row at center court I guess.  But baselines, upper levels, corners, etc can be so different from one venue to another.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
I understand the logic behind this thought, but it's precisely because I've been in many college and pro arena's that I believe it is so important to see it in person to make the best seat selection as possible.  Arena's are surprisingly different and have such a dramatic effect on one's viewing experience.   Well.... unless you're 5th row at center court I guess.  But baselines, upper levels, corners, etc can be so different from one venue to another.
I’m with you here.  Picking season seats is a lot different than selecting seats for some random game wherever.  Would not want to be stuck with a bad sight line for a whole season.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
I’m with you here.  Picking season seats is a lot different than selecting seats for some random game wherever.  Would not want to be stuck with a bad sight line for a whole season.

Yep. Not just nightlines, but other details that don't always show up (or may be hard to find) in seating charts or pics. In the lower bowl of the BC, I could have moved down a few rows, but I didn't want to sit in the temporary folding chairs without armrests. I once had a bad experience at a Bucks game sitting in a row with a very overweight fan who squeezed everyone else out of part of their seats.

I could handle something like that for one game, but I wouldn't want to risk it all season.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
Sonoran Salsa Arena.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »

Next year's non-conference schedule, with a road Gavitt Game and two of Kansas, Tennessee and Louisville is going to be pretty good as it is.
Where is this tournament?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
Where is this tournament?

Brooklyn. Preseason NIT
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 07:10:54 PM »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
Sonoran Salsa Arena.

Giannis Gyros Arena
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
Sonoran Salsa Arena.

The Sonoran Salsa Chaluparena?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 01:21:39 AM »
Sight lines, no.  In those long rows, yes.

Are you saying it's a bad seat because you are located a few feet farther from the aisle?  If that's the case, there isn't a good seat in ANY arena in the world.  Get your food or take a piss before the game and you won't have to get up to go out unless you have a prostrate issue and even so, it's a minor convenience.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
Are you saying it's a bad seat because you are located a few feet farther from the aisle?  If that's the case, there isn't a good seat in ANY arena in the world.  Get your food or take a piss before the game and you won't have to get up to go out unless you have a prostrate issue and even so, it's a minor convenience.

I don't know why they can't just make the rows two seats wide. That way, everyone has an aisle seat.
Have some patience, FFS.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
I don't know why they can't just make the rows two seats wide. That way, everyone has an aisle seat.

Why don't they make the whole plane out of the black box?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »

For example, the BC has 10 sections in the lower bowl courtside, baseline to baseline.  The new arena has six. The new arena has a lot more seats in the lower bowl. I don't enjoy getting up and down 20 times a half for those who are grabbing food, drinks or taking a piss in those long rows (and I am sure like the BC, the concession lines will be long and slow).

Like Miller Park, it is a crap design with the long rows. Improved sightlines are great except when they are blocked so often.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
For example, the BC has 10 sections in the lower bowl courtside, baseline to baseline.  The new arena has six. The new arena has a lot more seats in the lower bowl. I don't enjoy getting up and down 20 times a half for those who are grabbing food, drinks or taking a piss in those long rows (and I am sure like the BC, the concession lines will be long and slow).

Like Miller Park, it is a crap design with the long rows. Improved sightlines are great except when they are blocked so often.

Let's hope for curtains and limited access during play.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

As a long standing season ticket holder around like minded individuals, I'd politely ask and expect any stubhub interloper to politely wait for a break in the action.  Chick and I do the same.  On rare occasion, we may be late getting back from halftime.  I'll gladly wait at the tunnel railing until the under 16 timeout.  I would never inconvenience a fellow STH and we're smack dab in the middle of our row.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
As a long standing season ticket holder around like minded individuals, I'd politely ask and expect any stubhub interloper to politely wait for a break in the action.  Chick and I do the same.  On rare occasion, we may be late getting back from halftime.  I'll gladly wait at the tunnel railing until the under 16 timeout.  I would never inconvenience a fellow STH and we're smack dab in the middle of our row.

It's so annoying when people do this during the action.  Even worse, when it is the row ahead of you and the folks decide to chat for awhile before they actually sit down.  We aren't particularly polite when that happens.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »

We were on an aisle, but I would wait until a whistle to head up as well. Didn't want to block views during play.

Only problem is the ushers didn't understand this concept, and would get annoyed with anyone who waited there.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
We were on an aisle, but I would wait until a whistle to head up as well. Didn't want to block views during play.

Only problem is the ushers didn't understand this concept, and would get annoyed with anyone who waited there.

We actually get to know our usher each year.  Our favorite was a few years back.  Great guy.  Got promoted into a supervisory position and still says hello when we see him courtside.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
It's so annoying when people do this during the action.  Even worse, when it is the row ahead of you and the folks decide to chat for awhile before they actually sit down.  We aren't particularly polite when that happens.

Well, I'm not polite in general.

To add to that discussion, we will on rare occasions have one of our kids sit with us.  Now not on something like NMD of course but for Chicago State, sure.  There's always 'coat seats' around us and our group is generally one big happy family so we make it work easily.  Plus when either kid was still in school, our well-seasoned neighbors would love chatting them up.  All good.

Flipside, I get more annoyed by the stubhubers taking their 50th selfie because 'Look, I'm at a Marquette game!'  Less so by the 'good seat stealers' assuming they are into the action and not negatively impacting true STHs who we all know and recognize. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »

This is why I've been on a corner section in the 400s in row A for years. I absolutely hate people who stand up during action.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
Huh, the couple times I've actually had to come back during action the usher has held me until there was a  stoppage. Not necessarily a time out, but until there free throws or something
TAMU

GOO

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »

I'd like to know how many seats there are base line to base line in the BC versus the new arena.  Hopefully, they are getting a lot of additional  seats between the base lines.  Hard to tell from the renderings, how many rows there are from the court to the top of the lower bowl between base lines, etc.  But those long rows are a concern, so hopefully they are getting a lot more premium seats for this inconvenience.  It might be an acceptable trade off, if they are generating a lot more good seats.   Also, will there be enough leg room (foot room?) to avoid everyone having to stand up when the guy in the middle wants to get out of the row?  Finally, it was darker in the old mecca during game play.  That discouraged people from getting up during game action.  I doubt the design of the new arena will be dark in the seating area, but it would be nice if the lights dimmed during game play. The BC is so bright it's as if it's set up for reading instead of watching a game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »

Amen. However, I am also waiting for the cure for cancer and getting to world peace.

My favorite is at baseball games where guys always stand up when ordering their beers from a vendor to take their money out and to pass along the beers. Then when they sit down, they stretch their arm out behind their seats and put their elbow in my beer in my cup holder. Never figured that behavior out and it may take a doctoral thesis.

My only hope is that more fans will hang and watch the MU games from the clubs. It is a nice plus as friends sit in so many different places. In my experience, the ushers at the BC always wanted me out of the entrance as I waited for a stop. Must be a safety issue so I like the curtain approach.

Any way, it is just a nit that becomes annoying over 18 games over many seasons. 

feedback