'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best case/worst case for 16-17  (Read 12854 times)

tower912

• All American
Best case/worst case for 16-17
« on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
Best case:    Henry stays and with the last scholarship Wojo lands either Howard or Fernando.   Everybody gets into the weight room and stays healthy.   The team comes back bigger, stronger, and more focused.   They get after it from day 1.  The improved strength and conditioning leads to better man defense and rebounding.    Wojo feels comfortable enough to use all of his wings to go to some full court pressure.    MU goes to the final 4.

Worst case:   Henry leaves.   Wally leaves.   Sandy leaves.   Sacar leaves.    Wojo is unable to land either Howard or Fernando and strikes out with any quality graduate tranfers.   MU goes through another year with a ridiculously young team and only 10 scholarship players and  struggles to get to .500.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Best case/worst case for 16-17
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »
Way to narrow it down tower.  :-\

Best case when the fire bell sounds.  Guy knocks over his grill and tower puts it out with his handheld extinguisher.

Worst case when the bell sounds.  The First Wisconsin building (yes I'm old and that's what I call it) is fully engulfed as tower arrives on scene and because it's 100 degrees outside every kid has opened every hydrant around the city and there's no water pressure.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:04:01 AM »
Add to best case:  Rowsey turns out to be even more of a scoring machine than predicted.

Add to worst case:  Rowsey is a complete washout.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »
Best case: National Championship

Worst case: They fire Wojo, hire Jim Crews, and complete the decent to SLU. #hiroshima

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
I think you mean to say "descent to SLU"...at least we can play 2/3 of our home games on campus then.  Is that a best case or worst case? ;D  That's a great analogy and I don't see the Billikens ever getting off the mat...
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »
Probably somewhere in between those options but I'd say your worst case is much more likely than your best case.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:40:22 AM »
Probably somewhere in between those options but I'd say your worst case is much more likely than your best case.

I'd disagree. I think the chances of Hank staying are significantly greater than the chances of Hank, Wally, Sacar, and Sandy all leaving.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »
I'd disagree. I think the chances of Hank staying are significantly greater than the chances of Hank, Wally, Sacar, and Sandy all leaving.

So you would take a bet on us being in the Final Four versus just over .500?  I'll gladly buy you dinner next time I'm in Houston if you win that one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
Best Case: Ellenson returns for another year. Wojo adds Howard and finds room for Bruno or Young. Rowsey is able to contribute instantly as a deep threat. Jajuan makes the jump from key role-player to first-team All Big East while Ellenson is BEPOY. Marquette battles Xavier for the league title and is a legitimate Final Four contender.

Worst Case: Both Ellensons leave and we lose another player to a transfer. Howard picks Baylor, Bruno and Young go elsewhere, and we again miss out in the grad transfer market. The team is still improved on the whole, but struggle on the glass once conference play rolls around. We break .500, but come Selection Sunday, are again hoping for a NIT bid instead of a NCAA one.

Most Likely Case: Henry leaves but everyone else returns. Howard picks Marquette, but no other freshmen join for 2016. Wojo succeeds in landing a grad transfer big man, but it isn't the elite Jaron Blossomgame type, instead more a utility guy. Overall player improvement offsets the loss of Henry and as a team, we are slightly better overall, but still not quite elite. We sneak back into the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »
Likely case:  Regardless of personnel on board, the team continues to get abused on defense, and thus underperforms.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
I wonder what  "duanewade" would say is his best case senerio? 

duanewade: "Best case- whole school burns down and is rebuilt as a school solely for the teaching real estate.  Worst case senerio- Henry stays and wins back-to-back-to-back national championships and the school never holds teaches real estate again.
Fear makes you dumb.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
Reasonable case:

HE leaves.  Sacar finds a new team.

Hani, Traci each improve, getting 10-20% better. 

JJJ improves 10%

Sandy, Duane, Luke have reached their ceiling.

Rowsey is the best newcommer, helps.

RPI improves 30 points to around 70, plus or minus.  Last 4 out.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »
Also .. would someone mind helping edit the wiki? 

Do we know any other games / roster / coaching changes?

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2016

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
So you would take a bet on us being in the Final Four versus just over .500?  I'll gladly buy you dinner next time I'm in Houston if you win that one.

I was looking at it just in terms of player leaving
TAMU

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:31:20 AM »
Best case:
Undefeated season, marking MU's first national championship since 1977 and the beginning of a 94-game winning streak. Hundreds of thousands of Wisconsin fans are eagerly welcomed on the bandwagon. Fox voluntarily triples the size of its deal with the Big East in response to overwhelming ratings. Marquette signs the #1 recruiting class in the country. And an anonymous donor commits $900 million to replace McCormick with a new on-campus arena.

Worst case:
An asteroid enters Earth's atmosphere and explodes above Real Chili — unleashing kinetic energy equal to a 5-megaton nuclear warhead. Marquette University and most of the city of Milwaukee are instantly vaporized. Our 100-year rivalry with the Badgers comes to a sudden and shocking end.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »

Worst case:
An asteroid enters Earth's atmosphere and explodes above Real Chili — unleashing kinetic energy equal to a 5-megaton nuclear warhead. Marquette University and most of the city of Milwaukee are instantly vaporized. Our 100-year rivalry with the Badgers comes to a sudden and shocking end.

Is that before or after the start of conference play?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
At this point I wish I shared 2% of the optimism for next season as many on here feel. We cannot afford to lose any additional player than HE and need some incoming recruits big time. I had high hope this year and much was based off Wojo's ability to get the most out of every player in every game. Being young means nothing to me and really just an excuse.

This year was another wasted year IMO. Without HE this year we would have been a .500 or worse team. I hope that pessimistic view is completely wrong and Wojo surprises me next season. Again, they cannot afford to let any player leave or we will be in trouble.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
Being young means nothing to me and really just an excuse.

Well then you're just being silly.  College age kids change quite a lot from year to year. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »

Worst case:

This actually happened. After guzzling Red White and Blues for 8 hours at the Lanche all 350 pounds of Nestor Figueroa    lumbered into Real Chili where he wolfed down three bowls of hot. The after shocks were felt on the West Coast as 120 pounds of ass cheek vibrated throughout the night and into the next morning.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
At this point I wish I shared 2% of the optimism for next season as many on here feel. We cannot afford to lose any additional player than HE and need some incoming recruits big time. I had high hope this year and much was based off Wojo's ability to get the most out of every player in every game. Being young means nothing to me and really just an excuse.

This year was another wasted year IMO. Without HE this year we would have been a .500 or worse team. I hope that pessimistic view is completely wrong and Wojo surprises me next season. Again, they cannot afford to let any player leave or we will be in trouble.

You couldn't be more correct, Goose. If we lose any more of this year's firepower next season will be Scoop Armageddon.

Death on call

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »
You couldn't be more correct, Goose. If we lose any more of this year's firepower next season will be Scoop Armageddon.

Which "firepower" do you think would leave? I see 2 obvious possible transfers (Sandy, Sacar) and wouldn't classify either one of them as firepower.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
Which "firepower" do you think would leave? I see 2 obvious possible transfers (Sandy, Sacar) and wouldn't classify either one of them as firepower.

My comment was simply that losing Henry is a huge loss and we are already in a deep hole from this year. If we lose any of our other significant contributors it could be Armageddon.

If Cohen and Anim are not significant contributors.

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »

Wojo doubled his conference wins. Rookie mistakes create two choke jobs, otherwise we're looking at 10-8 record and fourth place in the conference. We have a dynamic Freshman in Cheatham. We have a potentially dynamic Freshman in Carter. We have a legitimate big man returning. We have an exciting prospect in Hauser. We have an exciting transfer in Rowsey. We have the possibility to add a dynamic incoming Freshman in Howard.

I just don't get the wasted year bull$hit. It reads like an old man realizing the dirt is creeping around his ankles and he feels he deserves one more jolly before they go a full six feet deep. Wojo was tasked with rebuilding a program that was left barren by the previous coach's firing. Considering how mediocre the middle of the Big East was this past season Marquette isn't that far off from accomplishing what people want. They're just too blind to see it even if people outside the program see it clearly.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
Best case:
Undefeated season, marking MU's first national championship since 1977 and the beginning of a 94-game winning streak. Hundreds of thousands of Wisconsin fans are eagerly welcomed on the bandwagon. Fox voluntarily triples the size of its deal with the Big East in response to overwhelming ratings. Marquette signs the #1 recruiting class in the country. And an anonymous donor commits $900 million to replace McCormick with a new on-campus arena.

Worst case:

Best Case -- You don't get busted for use of addictive drugs or the NCAA never finds out about the PEDs our team is consuming for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as after-practice snacks!

Serious Best Case -- Henry stays. We learn to play defense effectively and Rowsey is the real thing. Our team has a chip on its shoulder and some scores to settle from 2015-2016. We make the tournament as a "3" or "2" seed after blowing away the rest of the Big East. Luke's foul problems dissipate and he is a late first-round NBA choice in the 2017 draft. We make the Final Four (this is possible if Henry stays and we learn defense) for the 40th anniversary of our last National Title. Butch and Bo are special guests for the national title game.

Serious Worst Case -- Henry leaves and we don't improve our defensive ability. Our team gives up an average of 84 points a game and we're a bubble team for the NCAA. Wojo ends up on the hot seat and Dr. Lovell gives him a "vote of confidence."

brandx

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
Best case: we get a strong power forward - a Jalen Reynolds, Andrew Delgado type.

Worst case: we don't.

We have a 0.0001% chance to make the tournament if JJJ, Hauser, Anim, and Cohen are our forwards.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
Well then you're just being silly.  College age kids change quite a lot from year to year.

Ohio State and Washington are the only other two teams as young as we are in power conferences. Both are likely to miss the tournament. Washington for sure is out, OSU has a chance. OSU has had back to back top 10 recruiting classes. They won 1 game in the tournament last year. Probably will miss it this year.

It's not an excuse, it's reality. Unless you're getting 3-4 top 25 kids like Kentucky and Duke, then youth is a real problem. And even Kentucky missed the tournament (2012?) with 3/4 top 25 freshmen.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 11:43:32 AM »

This. If HE leaves, expect a repeat of this season. We will be a much smaller team. As usual, way to much expectation that every player makes big strides forward. I think HC and TC have tremendous upside. JJJ has really turned it around. Without HE and assuming Wojo does not get a PF, that will not be enough to get MU into the upper half of BE.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »
Golden

I very well may have the dirt creeping up my ankles, my desire for one more jolly is as far from the truth as anything I have read on here. While you may think I am an old guy that lives in past MU glory and I would not argue that point hard with you. That said, this guy ankle deep in dirt has been a supporter, friend to and fan of the program for a long period of time and never wear rose colored glasses. Many on here, and I would include you, have different goals or wants from the program than I do and I respect that.

In addition, to this being a wasted season, it was beyond a waste IMO. To have all the pieces you noted and an alltime great MU Freshmen and we are an NIT bubble team. I do agree on the BE being mediocre, yet I find that troubling to be associated with as a program. We were sub .500 team in a crappy conference.

Again, I will add again, I sure hope that the program only loses HE moving forward or next year is a disaster.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »

Just because they are obvious doesn't mean they are likely. Could be other possible transfers that aren't obvious, who knows.

Hell, Henry could stay and Wally transfer for all we know at this point.

I think best/worst case should be framed from the what we do not the how we do it. I don't care if every single player transfers and we bring in a whole new team, if we win the NC I'm fine with it.

With that, I think the best case is a deep NCAA run after finishing top 4 in the Big East.

Worst case is finishing in the bottom 4 of the Big East again and missing the NCAA. If we go 4 years in row without dancing....there will be some serious questioning within the program me thinks.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
Golden

I very well may have the dirt creeping up my ankles, my desire for one more jolly is as far from the truth as anything I have read on here. While you may think I am an old guy that lives in past MU glory and I would not argue that point hard with you. That said, this guy ankle deep in dirt has been a supporter, friend to and fan of the program for a long period of time and never wear rose colored glasses. Many on here, and I would include you, have different goals or wants from the program than I do and I respect that.

In addition, to this being a wasted season, it was beyond a waste IMO. To have all the pieces you noted and an alltime great MU Freshmen and we are an NIT bubble team. I do agree on the BE being mediocre, yet I find that troubling to be associated with as a program. We were sub .500 team in a crappy conference.

Again, I will add again, I sure hope that the program only loses HE moving forward or next year is a disaster.

We're calling a conference that gets half it's teams into the tournament a "crappy conference now"? Come on. We have two elite teams. Three good, solid NCAA teams. 3 teams that performed very well against other power conference schools out of conference. And two bottom feeders.

I can understand the disappointment in this season even if I don't necessarily agree with it. However, calling the Big East a crappy conference is ridiculous. It's the 2nd best conference we've ever been in (behind the old Big East) and a top 4 conference in the country.

We're just going to ignore that the conference excelled against other conferences this year and make wild proclamations? If that's the case then there's no debate to be had.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »

They don't instantly change overnight from one year to the next.  A young, talented, well coached team should have improved a lot throughout the year and improved more than most older teams.  That has not happened.  Add to the fact that we had a Europe trip thrown in there so extra practices and games so the inexperienced excuse is rather tiresome.  I expected early season troubles and a strong finish.  That has not been the case. 

We had the talent to be a NCAA bubble team this year.  Instead we are a bubble team for the NIT at best and more realistically no post season tournament for 3 years running.

Best case scenario: HE stays and we squeeze into the NCAA tourney as a 9/10 seed.
Worst case scenario: HE leaves, additional transfers, we are a bubble NIT team and Admin gives Wojo another 1-year contract extension because we have good wholesome kids in our program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
Best case should be as least reasonably possible.
No one but Henry leaves.
No significant injuries.
We do not lose games like DePaul on last second shot.
Howard and another player join MU team.
JJJ and Carter take big step up.
Fischer learns not to get stupid fouls.
Team gets to Elite 8.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
They don't instantly change overnight from one year to the next.  A young, talented, well coached team should have improved a lot throughout the year and improved more than most older teams.  That has not happened.  Add to the fact that we had a Europe trip thrown in there so extra practices and games so the inexperienced excuse is rather tiresome.  I expected early season troubles and a strong finish.  That has not been the case. 

We had the talent to be a NCAA bubble team this year.  Instead we are a bubble team for the NIT at best and more realistically no post season tournament for 3 years running.

Best case scenario: HE stays and we squeeze into the NCAA tourney as a 9/10 seed.
Worst case scenario: HE leaves, additional transfers, we are a bubble NIT team and Admin gives Wojo another 1-year contract extension because we have good wholesome kids in our program.

You're right they don't change magically overnight. They change with hard work and practice, the kind that you get in the 8 months of offseason. Teams rarely improve greatly during a season. However, this team did. You are just putting blinders on and saying we didn't. The team at the end of the season was twice the team that started the season. If we played Belmont again we would wipe the floor with them. The stats show it to. I'm too lazy to find the graphic but Henry Sugar showed a chart that showed that we have been trending up all season.
TAMU

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
Best Case- MH bulks up and becomes a rebounding machine as SC wakes up and contributes. The rest perform as we hope
Worst Case-. Real Chili comes down with a Chipotle scenario with ptomane and norovirus outbreaks

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »
Just because they are obvious doesn't mean they are likely. Could be other possible transfers that aren't obvious, who knows.

Hell, Henry could stay and Wally transfer for all we know at this point.

I think best/worst case should be framed from the what we do not the how we do it. I don't care if every single player transfers and we bring in a whole new team, if we win the NC I'm fine with it.

With that, I think the best case is a deep NCAA run after finishing top 4 in the Big East.

Worst case is finishing in the bottom 4 of the Big East again and missing the NCAA. If we go 4 years in row without dancing....there will be some serious questioning within the program me thinks.

Rebuilds are haphazard. I have three alma maters and one of them turned the reins over to an unproven man after the previous guy gutted the program in many ways. That process has had success in a number of areas though not on the court.

Another hired a leader with a proven track record and has turned the program around both on and off the field. This guy has recently notched a Top 5 recruiting class and the pundits are predicting a National Title in the near future.

But the real difference is within the fan base. At Marquette, we are shedding season ticket holders and the lack of enthusiasm is palpable. People on Scoop are debating why playing in the Vegas 16 is a good opportunity while lamenting the many holes in our line up.

In Ann Arbor, alums are buying tickets and pouring money into the football program. Fans are asking not if but when the coach wins the National Title.

Marquette may be on track to becoming relevant again and I genuinely hope that is true. But there is no certainty about end game in Milwaukee.

At Michigan there is no question that the program is not only relevant but vital.

I am not suggesting that these cases are directly correlated. But there is a huge difference in fan enthusiasm and I am saddened that Marquette cannot experience the rebound happening with Michigan football.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
Keefe

Spot on, once again. I am very worried about the downward spiral in fan excitement. Three years of subpar performance has made the natives restless. In conversations recently with real backers, I have never felt a more negative vibe. The most positive of the conversations revolves around the rebuilding process and how it takes time. Trust me that I fully get that and respect that. At the moment I do not feel like rebuilding is in play, but rather, a very slow decline is happening.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »
I don't care who leaves or stays, BUT, GET AT LEAST 2 OR 3  PLAYERS 6-9 OR ABOVE WORTHY
OF PLAYING BE BASKETBALL. Sandy, Sacar, Wally and hope not Henry, Good Bye.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
I don't care who leaves or stays, BUT, GET AT LEAST 2 OR 3  PLAYERS 6-9 OR ABOVE WORTHY
OF PLAYING BE BASKETBALL. Sandy, Sacar, Wally and hope not Henry, Good Bye.
I think there is no chance of Henry staying, if Wally is leaving.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »
Rebuilds are haphazard. I have three alma maters and one of them turned the reins over to an unproven man after the previous guy gutted the program in many ways. That process has had success in a number of areas though not on the court.

Another hired a leader with a proven track record and has turned the program around both on and off the field. This guy has recently notched a Top 5 recruiting class and the pundits are predicting a National Title in the near future.

But the real difference is within the fan base. At Marquette, we are shedding season ticket holders and the lack of enthusiasm is palpable. People on Scoop are debating why playing in the Vegas 16 is a good opportunity while lamenting the many holes in our line up.

In Ann Arbor, alums are buying tickets and pouring money into the football program. Fans are asking not if but when the coach wins the National Title.

Marquette may be on track to becoming relevant again and I genuinely hope that is true. But there is no certainty about end game in Milwaukee.

At Michigan there is no question that the program is not only relevant but vital.

I am not suggesting that these cases are directly correlated. But there is a huge difference in fan enthusiasm and I am saddened that Marquette cannot experience the rebound happening with Michigan football.

This where I think the HE recruitment actually hurt Marquette. I feel victim to the overhype game and too high of expectations as much as anyone else. Given where the program was last year and where it is this year at the end of the season has been a significant improvement(both statistically and with the eye test), however it definitely hasn't matched where we thought it should be.

Time will tell whether where we thought we should be was right and Wojo missed or if Wojo got the max out and prepared us for the following year.

The comparison to Michigan, while I get it, I think does a disservice to what Marquette is facing and what they have in their toolbelt versus Michigan. Michigan is a top 10 all-time program that has had some struggles but never lost their vibe, people want to play at Michigan if they get competent. Marquette is a top 40 all time program that is one of a dozen programs like it that people what to play for but don't have to play for.

I think we as Marquette fans overvalue our basketball brand within the greater basketball community. For Marquette the coaching staff is always going to be more important than the Marquette brand.....the same can't be said for Michigan football or Kentucky basketball or Duke basketball, etc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 01:25:23 PM »
We need 40 haikus implying that Henry is leaving so that way the exact opposite happens.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »
Best case: We win national title.

Worst case: We lose national title game on tip-in at buzzer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »
If our only comparison for this year was last year, we would all be pleased as punch at the progress. Yet people insist on holding this team up to 2013, or 2003, or 1977, and see only disappointment.  We've become a society of instant gratification, where anything absent overnight success is a failure.  We use this concept to speculate that a freshman player who has no known concern with his role on the team will transfer because he didn't get playing time.  Guess what?  Not all freshman play.  Heck, David Robinson's kid is currently redshirting at Duke! 

Some kids who don't have NBA prospects are just looking for a good college playing experience with a solid team. Or a free college education by way of their athletic ability. And some teams fall apart and need to be rebuilt from the ground up.  That takes time if you want to do it right.  Imagine a team three years from now, with Traci, Haani and Sacar as senior leaders, Brendan Bailey and continued quality recruiting by Wojo.  I'm looking forward to it.  And I, too, believe that Haani and Traci with another year of training and experience will eliminate many of the mistakes that could've lost games for us but for Henry's performance.

One thing about instant gratification is that it can work to Marquettes advantage if this rebuild goes well.  Nothing brings students and fans back to the arena like a winning team.

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
If our only comparison for this year was last year, we would all be pleased as punch at the progress. Yet people insist on holding this team up to 2013, or 2003, or 1977, and see only disappointment.  We've become a society of instant gratification, where anything absent overnight success is a failure.  We use this concept to speculate that a freshman player who has no known concern with his role on the team will transfer because he didn't get playing time.  Guess what?  Not all freshman play.  Heck, David Robinson's kid is currently redshirting at Duke! 

Some kids who don't have NBA prospects are just looking for a good college playing experience with a solid team. Or a free college education by way of their athletic ability. And some teams fall apart and need to be rebuilt from the ground up.  That takes time if you want to do it right.  Imagine a team three years from now, with Traci, Haani and Sacar as senior leaders, Brendan Bailey and continued quality recruiting by Wojo.  I'm looking forward to it.  And I, too, believe that Haani and Traci with another year of training and experience will eliminate many of the mistakes that could've lost games for us but for Henry's performance.

One thing about instant gratification is that it can work to Marquettes advantage if this rebuild goes well.  Nothing brings students and fans back to the arena like a winning team.

Intelligent women are awesome.  ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »

Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »

This is what I was trying to say but you use your words better than I can. +1

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:10 PM »
Mom

Well thought out post. That said, not everyone (me) needs instant gratification regarding the program. I fully understand the work involved in the process and know it takes time. My comments/feelings are based off my opinion on a wide range of items. The one that jumps out to me the most is the lack of excitement by the students and the support of the program by alumni. Usually when there is smoke, there is fire and in this case the smoke is another year of declining attendance. I have seen ups and downs in the program for a long time and know what a rebuild looks like. Usually by year two EVERYONE is jacked up, attending games, talking up the program and excited for the future. Currently I see or hear none of that excitement, aside from several on here.

Again, I respect your post and comments but I just do not see it. Just because Sultan or TAMU or whoever say the guys will be better next year does mean that is going to happen. I could list a lot of players that were going to be better next year and were not over the past 30 years. There is not enough talent returning to make a run at anything next season.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »
There is not enough talent returning to make a run at anything next season.

Said Seton Hall fans last year...

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
This board is so depressing right now but I can't stop coming to it. Dammit scoop why can't I quit you!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
This board is so depressing right now but I can't stop coming to it. Dammit scoop why can't I quit you!

RK in April:

Have some patience, FFS.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 03:09:17 PM »
RK in April:

Accurate. Hopefully we get some much-needed good Markus Howard news in April though.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
Mom

Well thought out post. That said, not everyone (me) needs instant gratification regarding the program. I fully understand the work involved in the process and know it takes time. My comments/feelings are based off my opinion on a wide range of items. The one that jumps out to me the most is the lack of excitement by the students and the support of the program by alumni. Usually when there is smoke, there is fire and in this case the smoke is another year of declining attendance. I have seen ups and downs in the program for a long time and know what a rebuild looks like. Usually by year two EVERYONE is jacked up, attending games, talking up the program and excited for the future. Currently I see or hear none of that excitement, aside from several on here.

Again, I respect your post and comments but I just do not see it. Just because Sultan or TAMU or whoever say the guys will be better next year does mean that is going to happen. I could list a lot of players that were going to be better next year and were not over the past 30 years. There is not enough talent returning to make a run at anything next season.

" Usually by year two EVERYONE is jacked up, attending games, talking up the program and excited for the future." I think this may be true if we hadn't been to the NCAA tournament in something like 10 years and had a new coach. But only 4 years ago we were in the Elite 8. hard to get jacked up when when you go that to this in such a short period of time.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
You're right they don't change magically overnight. They change with hard work and practice, the kind that you get in the 8 months of offseason. Teams rarely improve greatly during a season. However, this team did. You are just putting blinders on and saying we didn't. The team at the end of the season was twice the team that started the season. If we played Belmont again we would wipe the floor with them. The stats show it to. I'm too lazy to find the graphic but Henry Sugar showed a chart that showed that we have been trending up all season.

Every team improves.  It is how much you improve by

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
Adding something to best case:

- Wojo hires a key bench coach who knows strategy and how to make in-game adjustments

Worst case:

- Wojo makes no coaching changes and doesn't improve as a coach

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 04:07:18 PM »
Adding something to best case:

- Wojo hires a key bench coach who knows strategy and how to make in-game adjustments

Worst case:

- Wojo makes no coaching changes and doesn't improve as a coach

Best Case: Hologram Al hired for bench

Worst Case: Hologram Tupac hired for bench
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
Mom

To be fair, I never said they were going to be better.  I said that I believe they will be better because players generally improve with experience.  Doesn't always happen.  Wojo might not be the guy I think he will become.  We will see.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:38 PM »
I think what has amplified the angst is .. we got hooked on the "MU is such a good program" meme as we made the NCAAs year after year, it almost seemed like a right. --   Well of course MU is going to be an NCAA team, we're a first class operation, top 15 attendance, top 15-20 coaches salary, top recruiting classes, NBA players, MU was in the national conversation for almost a decade straight.  That's our path, our road.  Sucks to be DePaul or SLU or UWM or (insert favorite team we're better than.)

It was OK to have an off year.  Now two and three and.. we're one 19 year old's decision away from being a bubble team next year.  Maybe. 

It is what it is.  No one should be surprised at the angst.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
I think what has amplified the angst is .. we got hooked on the "MU is such a good program" meme as we made the NCAAs year after year, it almost seemed like a right. --   Well of course MU is going to be an NCAA team, we're a first class operation, top 15 attendance, top 15-20 coaches salary, top recruiting classes, NBA players, MU was in the national conversation for almost a decade straight.  That's our path, our road.  Sucks to be DePaul or SLU or UWM or (insert favorite team we're better than.)

It was OK to have an off year.  Now two and three and.. we're one 19 year old's decision away from being a bubble team next year.  Maybe. 

It is what it is.  No one should be surprised at the angst.

This is exactly how I feel.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »
This where I think the HE recruitment actually hurt Marquette. I feel victim to the overhype game and too high of expectations as much as anyone else. Given where the program was last year and where it is this year at the end of the season has been a significant improvement(both statistically and with the eye test), however it definitely hasn't matched where we thought it should be.

Time will tell whether where we thought we should be was right and Wojo missed or if Wojo got the max out and prepared us for the following year.

The comparison to Michigan, while I get it, I think does a disservice to what Marquette is facing and what they have in their toolbelt versus Michigan. Michigan is a top 10 all-time program that has had some struggles but never lost their vibe, people want to play at Michigan if they get competent. Marquette is a top 40 all time program that is one of a dozen programs like it that people what to play for but don't have to play for.

I think we as Marquette fans overvalue our basketball brand within the greater basketball community. For Marquette the coaching staff is always going to be more important than the Marquette brand.....the same can't be said for Michigan football or Kentucky basketball or Duke basketball, etc.

Navy

The situation in Ann Arbor had many similarities with Marquette - the President and Athletic Director were replaced and the coach of the marquee program was fired. The mood in Ann Arbor among alums was terrible - we had gone 10 years without beating Ohio and between Rich Rod and Hoke we had more losing seasons collectively than we had in the previous 60 years.

The right hire makes all the difference. Michigan has a losing season under Hoke, brings in Harbaugh and the next year we are ranked in the Top Ten. And Harbaugh did this with Hoke's players.

Michigan football was in the toilet - far more distressed than Marquette basketball - and the atmospherics in Ann Arbor were terrible. One year later we are seriously talking about running the table.

As I said, the two situations are not analogous but there are many similarities. Marquette, within college basketball, spends like Michigan does on football. There are few who invest as much treasure as Marquette and Michigan in those two sports. The right hire makes all the difference.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »

+1
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »
Mom

Well thought out post. That said, not everyone (me) needs instant gratification regarding the program. I fully understand the work involved in the process and know it takes time. My comments/feelings are based off my opinion on a wide range of items. The one that jumps out to me the most is the lack of excitement by the students and the support of the program by alumni. Usually when there is smoke, there is fire and in this case the smoke is another year of declining attendance.

Goose,

One thing you are missing here is that attendance at sporting events across the country is declining. Our attendance drop is in large part to our performance on the court, but its also part of a national trend. Not much that can be done about that. I think the new stadium and hopefully some winning will cure what ails us.

Navy

The situation in Ann Arbor had many similarities with Marquette - the President and Athletic Director were replaced and the coach of the marquee program was fired. The mood in Ann Arbor among alums was terrible - we had gone 10 years without beating Ohio and between Rich Rod and Hoke we had more losing seasons collectively than we had in the previous 60 years.

The right hire makes all the difference. Michigan has a losing season under Hoke, brings in Harbaugh and the next year we are ranked in the Top Ten. And Harbaugh did this with Hoke's players.

Michigan football was in the toilet - far more distressed than Marquette basketball - and the atmospherics in Ann Arbor were terrible. One year later we are seriously talking about running the table.

As I said, the two situations are not analogous but there are many similarities. Marquette, within college basketball, spends like Michigan does on football. There are few who invest as much treasure as Marquette and Michigan in those two sports. The right hire makes all the difference.

Keefe,

Michigan is a blue blood in football. It doesn't matter how far they fell under Rich Rod and Hoke. A football blue blood has support, tools, and resources that Marquette couldn't even dream of. There is also a very big difference between big state football fandom and small private basketball fandom. A majority of Marquette fans are alumni. A lot of us weren't born Warriors, we had to go to school and become them. Teams like Michigan, if you're born in the state, you are either a Michigan or State fan. You almost don't have a choice. That sort of fandom has a different hold on your life. In a way though, that proves your point about how vital it is that Marquette gets back to winning. Michigan fans will be there no matter what. Marquette fans are a little more flaky on the average.
TAMU

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »

It always amazes me when someone who seems to watch sports regularly does not understand the difference a year can make in a college athlete; physiologically, psychologically, emotionally, etc., with the transition from Freshman to Sophomore year often being the most dramatic.  Being a freshman in the Big East is a huge challenge and our young team learned a lot and had many typical frosh mistakes, but also did amazing things.  Think of how good Henry was, but he made quite a few of those rookie mistakes that he would make far less of next year if by some chance he stayed.  Even upperclassmen can make big improvements such as JJJ's outstanding jump from last year to this year.  Many people have written Sandy off, but he showed flashes of what he can do early in the season and lost confidence as the season wore on and I would be very surprised if he didn't make a similar jump next year to what JJJ did this year.  Some guys don't improve as much as others, but this was a very young team and it did make a difference and one year of experience for this young team will be huge, whether Henry stays or not. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »
TAMU, I whole heartedly agree with your response to Keefe. I think at the end you touched on a critical point that may "unify" all the opinions in this thread.

We can debate player talent, coaching ability, player development all we want but that is all colored by how critical successful basketball is to MU. Without basketball success, MU loses money and future alumni...we have to create our fans, state schools don't. Rightly or wrongly a lot of what MU is, is tied up in the basketball program. We've had sustain success for 10 years, to fall to an also ran so quickly is jarring and without the certainty of success a lot of people get nervous.

I believe the program is climbing but I get where people don't see that definitely and combine that with the risk and you've got a lot of nervous, depressed folks

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »
Michigan is a blue blood in football.

Average attendance: 109,000 (top 3 in the country). Estimated program revenue: $112 million (also top 3). Michigan football is in a league of its own. They're Kentucky, not Marquette. No comparison.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »
TAMU, I whole heartedly agree with your response to Keefe. I think at the end you touched on a critical point that may "unify" all the opinions in this thread.

We can debate player talent, coaching ability, player development all we want but that is all colored by how critical successful basketball is to MU. Without basketball success, MU loses money and future alumni...we have to create our fans, state schools don't. Rightly or wrongly a lot of what MU is, is tied up in the basketball program. We've had sustain success for 10 years, to fall to an also ran so quickly is jarring and without the certainty of success a lot of people get nervous.

I believe the program is climbing but I get where people don't see that definitely and combine that with the risk and you've got a lot of nervous, depressed folks
I'm going to pick-a-nit on this on the two bolded fronts.  First off you both are completely right on the importance of #MUBB to the institution.  But.....nit #1 - I assume that nobody chooses to go to a private university based off of the athletic resume.  Does a consistent top 25 feed on the bottom of ESPN raise the visibility?  absolutely.  But does a stellar high school academic choose between Boston College and Marquette based on sports performance?  Nit #2 - the last 13 years have been an incredible run that very few programs can claim.  BUT...many alum stretch that "sustained success" back 39 years and forget we went from the absolute pinnacle back to constantly relevant ignoring the 26 years in between. 

The importance of "success" is associated specifically to alumni donations.  Basketball has always been part of our DNA but it's only during your tenure that you are indoctrinated (to both your points regarding state schools).  So, get the team back to the tourney on a regular basis and all (most?) of us are happy.

I personally like the approach of building for the long haul.  The President, BOD, AD, Coach, and team are all trying to bring success back to the program, but to do that it won't happen in 3 years.  Marquette has been here since 1907....it'll be here during the rebuild.

Edit - totally forgot:

Best case: hologram Tupac as coach.  Nobody relates to current recruits like him (no offense Hologram Al)
Worst case: Scoop decides to charge a subscription fee and I have to get to know my neighbors better to find things to argue with them about.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:29:00 PM by naginiF »

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
Navy

So we should hire Harbaugh's brother-in-law?

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Golden

In addition, to this being a wasted season, it was beyond a waste IMO. To have all the pieces you
noted and an alltime great MU Freshmen and we are an NIT bubble team. I do agree on the BE being mediocre, yet I find that troubling to be associated with as a program. We were sub .500 team in a crappy conference.

Depressingly correct in terms of my feelings.  (FIFY)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:09:50 PM by wildbillsb »
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »

I think your comparing apples to oranges. The Michigan Football program is one of the all time greats in college sports, it is part of a large state university whose living alumni total in the hundreds of thousands. It is an iconic brand. Michigan has had downs in the past but they are all ways followed by new highs.

MU on the other hand had one glorious blue blood period under Al. We declined and then did a slow rebuild with KO/ Deane culminating in restoring us back to being a top 25 program in the Crean/ Buzz years.

There are enough good things going at MU that lead me to believe  we will be back to the Crean Buzz years soon  We just had 19.000 people show up for the Villanova game. If we put up a good product the fan support and alumni support will be there.

We have landed in an excellent conference that is perfectly configured for our success. We have a partnership with the Milwaukee Bucks and the future is bright. There is no downward spiral.

I hate to pick at old wounds, but we need to keep reminding ourselves that the Derrick Wilson era is over. Neither Buzz nor Wojo had a chance to do much with Derrick running the offense. Now we have a surplus of high quality guards. We just had a 20 win season and look to be well positioned for next year. The bad old days are over and we will pretty quickly return to the levels of  our recent success.

However, it will allways be harder and more stressful for MU to turn things around than it will at a  place like Michigan Football. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »

I get that everyone's disappointed with missing the NCAA tournament. I know I am. I'm sure that the team and Wojo are, as well.

But to call it a waste — as if it the games weren't even worth playing or watching — goes against everything I believe about sports. These guys played their guts out, played as a team, improved over last year and improved over the course of the season. They helped make the program better, and gave us some pretty exciting moments along the way.

Sports isn't just about success. It's also about failure — and what you do then. Things don't always go your way. Tough. Deal with it. Pick yourself up, acknowledge your mistakes and shortcomings, and work to get better.

The idea that the Big East is a second-rate conference is beyond me. We have two teams in the Top 10. A top 5 conference RPI. Half the teams will likely make the tourney. The schools share a sense of focus and a long history of great basketball.

The current Big East might just be the best fit for Marquette in the program's history. Today I look back at the Big East of 5 years ago as a house of cards. It was impressive while it lasted, but it was destined to fail — ultimately no better than Conference USA. This is one of the best basketball conferences in the country, bar none. I wouldn't want Marquette anywhere else.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:47:09 PM by Marcus92 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »
I get that everyone's disappointed with missing the NCAA tournament. I know I am. I'm sure that the team and Wojo are, as well.

But to call it a waste — as if it the games weren't even worth playing or watching — goes against everything I believe about sports. These guys played their guts out, played as a team, improved over last year and improved over the course of the season. They helped make the program better, and gave us some pretty exciting moments along the way.

Sports isn't just about success. It's also about failure — and what you do then. Things don't always go your way. Tough. Deal with it. Pick yourself up, acknowledge your mistakes and shortcomings, and work to get better.

The idea that the Big East is a second-rate conference is beyond me. We have two teams in the Top 10. A top 5 conference RPI. Half the teams will likely make the tourney. The schools share a sense of focus and a long history of great basketball.

The current Big East might just be the best fit for Marquette in the program's history. Today I look back at the Big East of 5 years ago as a house of cards. It was impressive while it lasted, but it was destined to fail — ultimately no better than Conference USA. This is one of the best basketball conferences in the country, bar none. I wouldn't want Marquette anywhere else.

Bravo.

feedback