[Today at 12:54:39 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 08:47:10 PM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Blew It  (Read 12841 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Wojo Blew It
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »
Game definitely on Wojo. At 3 minutes, with an 7 point lead, he takes the team's best creator, one of the best scorers and FT shooters out, and the team caves.

Unfrigging acceptable Wojo. Why do you go with De. Wilson/ Carlino/ JJJ down the stretch, and leave Du. Wilson on the bench? maybe because you think the Duke stigma will carry you? There is no defense to this stupid decision.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Wojo Blew It
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
Game definitely on Wojo. At 3 minutes, with an 7 point lead, he takes the team's best creator, one of the best scorers and FT shooters out, and the team caves.

Unfrigging acceptable Wojo. Why do you go with De. Wilson/ Carlino/ JJJ down the stretch, and leave Du. Wilson on the bench? maybe because you think the Duke stigma will carry you? There is no defense to this stupid decision.

All losses, in matter the reason, are because the coach is stupid.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »
The team played very poorly and Wojo was clearly frustrated by their decision making. I blame the players for the first 37, but Wojo was bad the final 3. Fouling Garrett, keeping JJJ and Duane Wilson out.  WTF?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
This was a pretty obvious mistake and should have been evident watching how the demeanor of the team changed. We went from being in control to playing not to lose.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
The team played very poorly and Wojo was clearly frustrated by their decision making. I blame the players for the first 37, but Wojo was bad the final 3. Fouling Garrett, keeping JJJ and Duane Wilson out.  WTF?

They are both turnover prone at a point in the game where turnovers can kill us.  Also, Depaul was playing aggressive physical defense, the type that the still not quite strong enough JJJ and Du. Wilson struggle against. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »
All losses, in matter the reason, are because the coach is stupid.

Maybe you should pay attention to what caused the momentum swing instead of throwing out  dumb nonsensicals. Wojo blew this game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
The turning point was the charging call on Fischer.   Wojo had nothing to do with that.   However, I agree that Duane should have seen the floor more down the stretch. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
Wojo should have had relistened to his pregame speach. Need to keep punching for 40 minutes. We said no mas after 37.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »
JJJ  and Duane needed to be in the game more in the second half. They are always  a threat and that opens things up for everyone.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
The turning point was the charging call on Fischer.   Wojo had nothing to do with that.   However, I agree that Duane should have seen the floor more down the stretch. 

Agree--note to De Wilson.....Luke is close to 7' tall.....throw the ball up at the rim. 2 pts. No foul.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
Duane effed himself up with some really, really poor decisions.  However he was on the bench too long.  

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
JJJ was a nice spark at the beginning of the half.  Then he sat.  And sat.  And sat.  And the offense was completely inept.  Did not like that.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
Is Taylor a playa, or what, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »
i agree completely that wojo blew this one. at the end of games we need jajuan and duane both in and derrick on the bench when we are behind. also no idea how carlino played so much, he was terrible and now i see why byu wasn't sad to see him go. i posted something similar on marquettehoops and was banned, dodds is in damage control after this crap performance from marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »
i agree completely that wojo blew this one. at the end of games we need jajuan and duane both in and derrick on the bench when we are behind. also no idea how carlino played so much, he was terrible and now i see why byu wasn't sad to see him go. i posted something similar on marquettehoops and was banned, dodds is in damage control after this crap performance from marquette
While I agree that JJJ and Duane should have been on the floor attacking, you have to either have Derrick or Carlino out there with them.   The make up of this year's roster precludes benching them both.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:36 PM »
Although Derrick is playing much better, our chances were better with him out and Duane in.  We have to learn how to play with Fischer better.  We made too few and when we did feed him the passes were poor.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »

Duane Wilson payed like a freshman down the stretch, how many balls did he turn over playing out of control?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
This was a pretty obvious mistake and should have been evident watching how the demeanor of the team changed. We went from being in control to playing not to lose.

Derrick is a ball control QB that runs a prevent offense. No instincts to create a bucket himself or via the pass in crunch time, and it hurts the entire team's flow. Not his fault, he is what he is halfway through his senior year. That's on Wojo to recognize. He'll learn from this.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
This one is clearly on Wojo, for not sneaking Diener into the game wearing Carlino's jersey and having Carrawell swap places with Taylor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:14:52 PM by forgetful »

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
Derrick is a ball control QB that runs a prevent offense. No instincts to create a bucket himself or via the pass in crunch time, and it hurts the entire team's flow. Not his fault, he is what he is halfway through his senior year. That's on Wojo to recognize. He'll learn from this.

Duane was brutal. He made terrible choices and was a one man wrecking crew. His drives to the baseline and his leaving his feet on passes deserved a benching. Derrick isn't very good but he is the only guy on this team that has any understanding how to play and take care of the ball. My God, have any of you ever played or coached?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

Duane was brutal. He made terrible choices and was a one man wrecking crew. His drives to the baseline and his leaving his feet on passes deserved a benching. Derrick isn't very good but he is the only guy on this team that has any understanding how to play and take care of the ball. My God, have any of you ever played or coached?

He doesn't turn the ball over because he can't lead a break and swings the ball around the perimeter 90% of the time. Duane at least tries to make things happen and I would take his mistakes over the stagnant offense of our senior pg anyday.

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
This was a brutal loss.  But let's face the fact that we have a new coach, a young team, and shallow bench.  Everyone has to learn how to win games like this on the road.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
He doesn't turn the ball over because he can't lead a break and swings the ball around the perimeter 90% of the time. Duane at least tries to make things happen and I would take his mistakes over the stagnant offense of our senior pg anyday.

Correct.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »
This was a brutal loss.  But let's face the fact that we have a new coach, a young team, and shallow bench.  Everyone has to learn how to win games like this on the road.

Also correct.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »
What a predictable thread.  Bash on Derrick, on a day where he shot 4-8 and ended up with 9 Pts and 7 Rebs.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Steve is the new Derrick, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 07:52:52 AM »
Sorry, we have 3 seniors who are getting huge minutes--have they not learned by "how to win games like this on the road"? We have a coach who has spent 15 to 20 years of his career at the hands of the master in the most exalted of College BB programs--and has he not learned "how to win games like this on the road"?

For facts, we should up all "run up the usual excuses"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »
Duane effed himself up with some really, really poor decisions.  However he was on the bench too long.  
Typical of the ultimate sunshine to blast the freshman, but glorifies the elite senior at every opportunity to defend him.

For the record, Duane needs to be on the floor at crunch time, not the elite one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
Typical of the ultimate sunshine to blast the freshman, but glorifies the elite senior at every opportunity to defend him.

Oh good lord you dimwit....I am AGREEING with you.

Duane was doing what a lot of freshmen do...forcing the action when he shouldn't have and Wojo pulled him.  That isn't a bad thing to do.  Settle him down.  Talk to him a bit.

However he went out at 4:26, and should have been brought back in at the under-4 timeout. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »
Too many three point shots attempted when it was unnecessary. Could gave driven and drawn fouls all day long. DePaul defense is not that good. No reason to chuck up 23 three pointers. That's what lost the game. Take half those inside instead, and score only half the times you do and MU wins. Don't know why we did what we did.   

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 11:01:55 AM »

Oh good lord you dimwit....I am AGREEING with you.

Duane was doing what a lot of freshmen do...forcing the action when he shouldn't have and Wojo pulled him.  That isn't a bad thing to do.  Settle him down.  Talk to him a bit.

However he went out at 4:26, and should have been brought back in at the under-4 timeout. 
No, you are not agreeing with me. You said Duane effed himself. I have never heard you say that the elite one effed himself in a game and should ride the pines.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
Everyone criticizing and idiotically blaming Wojo after watching his team shoot 61% from the FT line, and 13% from 3 land-

1) Get a f'ing clue - horrid shooting despite lots of open looks is why we lost.
2) Stay away from the band wagon as Wojo starts winning more and more.  We're short-handed, undersized, inexperienced, yesterday's loss should come as no shock to anyone.  Not to mention an overall very modestly talented team - no doubt that Fischer and Duane have a lot of natural ability and potential, but are first year players still.

And P.S. - Duane had a few strong plays, but wasn't very good yesterday either, second in turnovers to Fischer, and poor perimeter shooting as well.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:40:01 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »
And when Carlino is as bad as he was yesterday, our fifth year sr, and who should be our best offensive player, it's going to be near impossible to beat anyone when his performance is that poor. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
No, you are not agreeing with me. You said Duane effed himself. I have never heard you say that the elite one effed himself in a game and should ride the pines.

Uhh...because the subject was Duane and not Derrick.

Christ you are as bad as Ners with your stupid obsessions.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 12:43:08 PM »

Uhh...because the subject was Duane and not Derrick.

Christ you are as bad as Ners with your stupid obsessions.
Is that like yours with the elite one--and don't call me Christ.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
Steve is the new Derrick, aina?

I'm not giving up on Taylor Jr. yet, but man, he is far and away the most disappointing player on the roster to this point.  I really thought he'd blossom with Buzz gone and a fresh start with a new coach, maybe the knee or something isn't right with him physically. I don't understand it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
I think Wojo made a big mistake. Tired players make poor decisions. Wojo only has 8 players and he failed to use one of them. Cohen heeds to get 12 minutes a game, just so some of the other players are fresher at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:47:45 PM by bilsu »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »
I thinl Wojo made a big mistake. Tired players make poor decisions. Wojo only has 8 players and he failed to use one of them. Cohen heeds to get 12 minutes a game, just so some of the other players are fresher at the end of the game.

What good are fresh players if you're down double digits because the guys you played to give them that rest fail to perform?

Marquette didn't make poor decisions last night because they were tired. How that has become a built-in excuse for some without any evidence is an indictment on the intelligence of the fanbase.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »
Here's Wojo:

"I'm doing everything I can to win this game based on what I know as a player and what I know from 15 years as an assistant behind a lenendary coach. I'm making every decision I can to put these guys in the best position to win"

Here's us:

Hey wtf. We know better damn it.

Hmmm.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:23:32 PM by Daniel »

schuesst

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »
Without Burton it's all on Fischer. We are left with these guys who can't beat the  worst team in the league. How does Wojo let Burton get away? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
Everyone criticizing and idiotically blaming Wojo after watching his team shoot 61% from the FT line, and 13% from 3 land-

1) Get a f'ing clue - horrid shooting despite lots of open looks is why we lost.
2) Stay away from the band wagon as Wojo starts winning more and more.  We're short-handed, undersized, inexperienced, yesterday's loss should come as no shock to anyone.  Not to mention an overall very modestly talented team - no doubt that Fischer and Duane have a lot of natural ability and potential, but are first year players still.

And P.S. - Duane had a few strong plays, but wasn't very good yesterday either, second in turnovers to Fischer, and poor perimeter shooting as well.

I pretty much agree with this.

Every intelligent opponent -- and even DePaul! -- is going to double- or triple-team Fischer. If we don't hit our open 3s, we will have little chance against most opponents. We could have won this one despite not hitting our 3s if we had made a few more FTs and if Duane and others had valued the basketball more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
I couldn't agree more with the title of this thread.  Wojo's recruiting has impressed me so far, but his in-game decisions leave me puzzled often. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
How dare he not have it all dialed in 13 games in!   The bastage!    There is a learning curve, even for one as well prepared as Wojo.   That is why this season is all about the process.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »

Completely agree with all your points. The morons ripping Wojo are indeed clueless. Wojo is playing the hand he was dealt.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:56:02 PM by 79Warrior »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
Here's Wojo:

"I'm doing everything I can to win this game based on what I know as a player and what I know from 15 years as an assistant behind a lenendary coach. I'm making every decision I can to put these guys in the best position to win"

Here's us:

Hey wtf. We know better damn it.

Hmmm.
Never agreed with these arguments. So anyone with a certain level of expertise or authority in an area is above criticism from any "lesser" soul? Pretty sure that doesn't bode well for societies. And that logic would pretty much obliterate the sports media. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to question Wojo's in-game coaching against DePaul. Doesn't mean we know better, only that we have the benefit of hindsight and are equipped to identify some mistakes.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
Never agreed with these arguments. So anyone with a certain level of expertise or authority in an area is above criticism from any "lesser" soul? Pretty sure that doesn't bode well for societies. And that logic would pretty much obliterate the sports media. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to question Wojo's in-game coaching against DePaul. Doesn't mean we know better, only that we have the benefit of hindsight and are equipped to identify some mistakes.

Hey Windy - I partially agree.  Not saying coaches can't make mistakes. Often they are more visbke in hindsight. During the DePaul fame I was saying we don't need to chuck up threes because DePaul defense is not that good, and we showed we could get the rim, score and drawn fouls. Wh dispdvwe chuck up threes?  Don't know. Did Coach tell them chuck up threes no matter what?  Don't know. That's what I mean. We cannot be privy to all the details, practices etc.  I'm frustrated with the DePaul loss for sure.  Maybe there are some on the board who could coach the game better. Don't know. But we can certainly express our attitudes and criticisms which we do regularly.