Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Do you really need 13 scholarship players?  (Read 12850 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Do you really need 13 scholarship players?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
As programs get stronger and stronger do you really need to go that deep.  I am pretty sure that Duke, NC, Syracuse and others do not as they are able to bring in players that are
ready to play.  MU has 13 players this year that can play which means that 4-5 kids are not going to be thrilled.  In saying that, does Buzz really need to recruit 2 more kids next year,
one big would be great.

I have not been to the pro-am so who are the 5 that may not see a lot of action:

Thomas
Dawson
Johnson
Der.  Wilson
Burton

Players:

Gardner
Otule
Wilson
Wilson
Taylor (if healthy)
Mayo
Anderson
McKay

How is my assessment?

Secondly, to even the classes out there is there a JC kid available that MU is looking at?
The more I see Burton, the more I think he is the best freshmen Buzz has recruited so far. He has a chance to start at 2 or 3 and even if he does not he will play a lot.

A large public university has much more options for walk ons. In UW's case in state players are willing to pay in state tuition and accept preferred walk on status. They also have a football team that can possibly provide a body or two, if the team gets several injuries. A small private school like MU has fewer fall back options, so I think we need to use all 13 scholarships.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »
I am glad to see everybody wants to bet me on something, much like Aaron Rodgers bet about his friend, I will say this, if Derrick plays more than 15 minutes a game then the other 4
will be terrific on the O end, as Derrick can barely score.  College is all about the point guard, ie. Peyton Siva is a perfect example.  I think that Duane Wilson offensively can be better than
him.  Good MU teams in the past had good scoring point guards.

Is that a "yes"?

You originally said 8-10, so you should be really confident about 15.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:11 AM »
Duane Wilson is better offensively than Derrick, but he is not going to score in double figures, I would be surprise if he averages more than 7 per game as a freshmen. The more I watch  Duanne the more I like him. He is a better distributor than I thought. He has to learn to lay the ball in instead of trying to dunk it as he misses to many of his dunks.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
Is that a "yes"?

You originally said 8-10, so you should be really confident about 15.

I will bet you a lunch on that!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »

Cool.

Under 15min. per game, you win.

Over 15min. per game, I win.

Exactly 15min. per game, push.

Lunch and/or giftcard for lunch.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
Sounds good, decent lunch not McDonalds, I do not eat there anymore or any fast food.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
Buzz will run the D Wils exactly like he runs Oxtule. When he needs offense its Duane, when he needs defense its Derrek.

Buzz will always start defense/experience over offense/freshmen, but we will need offense more often. I think the minutes translate out to Duane 21 mpg, Derrek 18 mpg (but starts).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
No you do not really need 13 scholarship players at all. You need at most 10, but really no more than that. That's why scholarship reductions are such a meaningless punishment by the NCAA. Uconn and Syracuse both have recently had their scholarship numbers reduced and won BE titles, and NCAA titles while having reduced numbers of scholarships. You can only play 5 at time and most teams don't go more than 8 players deep in their rotation in terms of meaningful minutes. You need 10 to have competitive practices and in case of injury. But you don't need 13 at all.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
Yeah, but 13 is a more workable number to account for suspensions and such.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
Q:  Do you really need 13 scholarship players?

A:  Yes. 

Easiest thread answer ever. 

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
Q:  Do you really need 13 scholarship players?

A:  Yes. 

Easiest thread answer ever. 

but you answered it wrong.

If a team can win a national title with less than 13 (Uconn 2011) or the Big East (Syracuse 2012) what makes you think a team needs 13?

I think people are confusing the word need with the word want. I get it kids these days confuse the terms all the time. They want a toy and they say they need it.

There's no reason not to have 13, but saying you need 13 means it's impossible to win with out 13 and that's clearly not the case.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »

Like a f*cking linebacker.  Your starting point guard, fellas.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
Buzz will run the D Wils exactly like he runs Oxtule. When he needs offense its Duane, when he needs defense its Derrek.

Buzz will always start defense/experience over offense/freshmen, but we will need offense more often. I think the minutes translate out to Duane 21 mpg, Derrek 18 mpg (but starts).

It might also be intersting to see if De. Wilson plays with Ox mostly or Chris.  Taking that a step further, I'm wondering what other combinations might emerge.  I agree that Derrek will approach 20 minutes of PT, if not more.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »
If you have a few guys with bumps and bruises or a little cold that you want to have rest, you'd be SOL with regard to scholarship players much of the season.

13 is about right.

Obviously most programs don't need that many for games, but to have 13 scholarship guys in your program.. that seems like the right number.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
It might also be intersting to see if De. Wilson plays with Ox mostly or Chris.  Taking that a step further, I'm wondering what other combinations might emerge.  I agree that Derrek will approach 20 minutes of PT, if not more.

Last season, when DWil and Otule played together, that meant we only had 3/5ths of an offensive lineup. If Juan and Lockett also were out there, Vander had to go 1-on-5.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »
If you look at the scholarship board there are 4 Sr., 1 Jr., 4 Soph and 2 Frosh now, a total of 11, I would only sign 1 this year unless there are 2 top players that want to come to
MU, you need a few going forward.  If you use them all up, one year you will only have one scholarship, need to balance the classes.  That is why you need to recruit a JC kid this
year so then it is Taylor and the JC as juniors.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »
If you look at the scholarship board there are 4 Sr., 1 Jr., 4 Soph and 2 Frosh now, a total of 11, I would only sign 1 this year unless there are 2 top players that want to come to
MU, you need a few going forward.  If you use them all up, one year you will only have one scholarship, need to balance the classes.  That is why you need to recruit a JC kid this
year so then it is Taylor and the JC as juniors.

umm what scholarship board are you using?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
umm what scholarship board are you using?

Ours. As of right now, in 2014, we will have four seniors (McKay, Mayo, Anderson, De Wilson), one junior (Taylor), four sophomores (JJJ, Du Wilson, Burton, Dawson) and two frosh (Cohen and Harris).

I don't see the necessity in balancing classes. Its convenient, but I wouldn't sacrifice a current scholarship for the sake of evening things out. You never know what could happen in a season. A player could be declared ineligible, you could have someone get hurt, someone could transfer, or a top talent could bust. Use all 13 every year.

The classes will balance themselves out. Players transfer, players go pro, or you pickup jucos.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
13 is necessary.  Practice makes the player, and we never see what happens in practice.  Need 13 to make sure you can always have a decent competitive practice.  Remember that last year was an anamoly with no significant injuries.  Most years there are one or two, then it's 11, and perhaps one or two of the lesser players can't challenge the better ones enough to keep them improving.  I bet most coaches would rather have 15.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Ours. As of right now, in 2014, we will have four seniors (McKay, Mayo, Anderson, De Wilson), one junior (Taylor), four sophomores (JJJ, Du Wilson, Burton, Dawson) and two frosh (Cohen and Harris).

I don't see the necessity in balancing classes. Its convenient, but I wouldn't sacrifice a current scholarship for the sake of evening things out. You never know what could happen in a season. A player could be declared ineligible, you could have someone get hurt, someone could transfer, or a top talent could bust. Use all 13 every year.

The classes will balance themselves out. Players transfer, players go pro, or you pickup jucos.

Ok when I saw 2014 I was still thinking 2013-2014 season my bad.  But Buzz might be working off of the idea of one or two kids leaving early. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »

Zero inside knowledge but I'd suspect that Buzz may again sign a JUCO POY candidate next Spring.  Tha'll put two players in Steve's class.  One of the reasons MU does well is we are an 'old' team.  Senior leadership is part of our success.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »

I believe you mean 2014-2015 season, right?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
If anyone remembers the 2004-2005 season when we had no scholarship point guard left after Travis Deiner went down...yes, you absolutely need every single last scholarship. 13 is the perfect number. Nowadays, sadly, you almost have to plan for 1 or 2 scholarship players to get in trouble academically or otherwise. Add in the probability of 1 or 2 guys getting injured and you can't really afford to give much up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
If anyone remembers the 2004-2005 season when we had no scholarship point guard left after Travis Deiner went down...yes, you absolutely need every single last scholarship. 13 is the perfect number. Nowadays, sadly, you almost have to plan for 1 or 2 scholarship players to get in trouble academically or otherwise. Add in the probability of 1 or 2 guys getting injured and you can't really afford to give much up.

It's not every year you have a moron like Tom Crean coaching your team who was smart enough to only have 1 point guard on the roster.

13 needed?  No.  13 a good number?  Yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

13 needed?  No.  13 a good number?  Yes.

This.

feedback