[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Moments  (Read 12818 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Best Moments
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
OK, so we've addressed the moments we all would like to forget. Now, to end on a high note, let's talk abut the moments we will never forget as Marquette basketball fans.

Here's mine:

1) 1977 -- This goes without saying, but it's what we all play the game for.

2) "That" Kentucky Game -- 2003 when DWade went nuts and singlehandedly lifted us to the Final Four. I think that game was Al McGuire's first miracle on the way to sainthood. He's now the "Blessed Al" because clearly that miracle is attributed to him.

3) Al flipping off Old Man Hughes after MU just beat Wisconsin at the buzzer. Was there ever a better statement about Marquette basketball?

4) Doc Rivers' 400 foot jump shot to beat Notre Dame.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Best Moments
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
OK, so we've addressed the moments we all would like to forget. Now, to end on a high note, let's talk abut the moments we will never forget as Marquette basketball fans.

Here's mine:

1) 1977 -- This goes without saying, but it's what we all play the game for.

2) "That" Kentucky Game -- 2003 when DWade went nuts and singlehandedly lifted us to the Final Four. I think that game was Al McGuire's first miracle on the way to sainthood. He's now the "Blessed Al" because clearly that miracle is attributed to him.

3) Al flipping off Old Man Hughes after MU just beat Wisconsin at the buzzer. Was there ever a better statement about Marquette basketball?

4) Doc Rivers' 400 foot jump shot to beat Notre Dame.
Yes, the 1977 championship is easily the best moment.  Was there for that Final 4 and those Atlanta moments are forever in my heart.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
- Beating Kentucky to get into the 1994 Sweet 16
- Dameon Mason's buzzer beater vs Louisville
- Aaron Hutchin's GW vs the Cards
- Jimmy B's game winners this year vs. UCONN and SJU
- Novak's 41 pt, 16 reb on UConn
- DJ's last second shot vs Valpo
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:30:45 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Other than the biggies already mentioned.

-DJ calmly sinking 2 throw against Pitt
-DJ's shot @ NC State (partial cause I was there)
-Doofus walking onto the court @ PC (again partial b/c I was there)
-Novak v. UCONN
-Jimmy's buzzer beaters last year

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »
One of my favorites which is not a very big moment relative to others in MU's history was the Pitt game at the end of 2007.

It was ESPN college game day, Pitt was better ranked, Aaron Gray was a tough matchup, and Jerel was hurt, so it was a tough game for MU.  Cubillan played big and MU got the upset.  Great game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
Outside of the entire Al era anytime we beat Kentucky, ND, Louisville and UW.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 04:21:13 PM »
In retrospective, Crean leaving...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
Although it was the NIT.. the Virginia Tech game was brought up in the other thread.. and as tough as that game was, one of my favorites was the game at the Mecca when we beat South Florida to punch our ticket to NYC.  Never thought I'd get that excited about an NIT game, but the atmosphere was incredible, not to mention it was a close game.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »

[/quote

?????????????

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »

[/quote

?????????????

Crean leaving is one of the best moments in MU history...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
Having been at the 1970 NIT semi-final and championship games and being at the
Final Four at the Omni in Atlanta in 1977, I have to say it's just hard to beat that when the Warriors came out on top. Great times and memories that I'll cherish forever.

Having said that, Crean's departure is close in comparison.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
Folks, I think you're being unkind to Traitor Tommy. Many of us wrongly thought the university had gone down the Dukiet route with Buzz and many more of us just simply forgot he was the guy who saved us from Mike Deane. Sure, Traitor Tommy showed a lack of class when he left and sure Traitor Tommy's introductory speech at Indiana sounded suspiciously like the one he gave at Marquette several years before but many of us lamented his departure and wondered about the future of the program.

To suggest his departure was one of the greatest moments in MU history puts excessive emphasis on Traitor Tommy. Let go of him. We're better off with Buzz, dontcha think?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
That's the point. MU hoops wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today if the T-Cubed were still here. Therefore, by definition, his departure was one of the best moments in Marquette basketball history.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
Crean's departure probably doesn't fit the definition of "moment" enough to make the list, though the early returns on Buzz is that Buzz is the better coach and recruiter than Tom Crean.  Buzz is projecting to have a better year 5 at Marquette than Crean's year 5 at Indiana which is when you can really step back and evaluate a coach, I think. 

We can be happy we have Buzz, but I guarantee everyone was worried back in April 2008 that MU would make a bad hire and end up like Iowa basketball just as easily as fans thought we could maintain the 10+ wins and making the tourney that the Crean era gave.  MU does appear to be headed toward breaking the ranked 15-35 and first weekend exit trend.  Buzz's new teams, based on recruiting, should be top 15 and Sweet 16 teams. 

QPSS70

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »

George Frazier's buzzer beater to stun Memphis State on the road in 1973.  Watched the game in the Union and the dorms all emptied out into Wisconsin Ave and we ran halfway to the lake. 

Beating ND and Austin Carr at the Arena in 70-71 season.

Beating the Russian National team in the midnight exhibition game to start the 76 or 77 season. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »
Best game I saw was in Madison when MU beat down an all white team, Issel, Pratt and Casey and
Adolph Rupp.  First time I ever saw confederate flags at a game, MU was basically all black except
Jeff Sewell.  The crowd was pro MU even if the game was in Madison, was unbelievable. I still can see
Dean Memminger stealing the ball and putting his arm about a foot over the rim and laying it in, could
not dunk then, to take about a 13 point lead in the first half.

The sad part and one of the toughest loses came next, losing to Rick Mount in finals in overtime.  MU
would have played UCLA and Lew Alcindor in the semi's.  To bad.  This lose was much like the loss against
Ohio St. a few years later.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »
Michael Wilson shattering the backboard at Memphis. Shouldn't of gotten the technical, probably costing us the game.
See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcuEIuTagg0

One of my favorite moments was one of the first time we played USF down in Tampa. Attended the game with my brother, a USF alum. We held USF to 0-20something from 3 point land, betting them 71-36. That was when USF coach Seth Greenberg uttered the famous comment "Some days you're the dog, some days, you're the tree. Today, we were the tree."

From an article I found about it:
South Florida falls to No. 24-ranked Marquette 71-36 Thursday in its worst-ever defeat at the Sun Dome.

This one ended before it began. The University of South Florida Bulls were drubbed by the No. 24-ranked Marquette Golden Eagles 71-36 Thursday night in a Conference USA game that set several negative USF records.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:47:05 PM by pbiflyer »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »
Beating the Russian National team in the midnight exhibition game to start the 76 or 77 season. 

It was 1976 and that was the first game we knew we had something truly special. The team was essentially the same team that had stolen the 1972 Olympic Games. It was a tough team and we played International Rules.

What Marquette did to them was amazing. I remember walking away from the Arena that night thinking this was the best Marquette team... ever ... and that we had something that was above and beyond what we had ever before seen. Our faith that night was borne out 15 months later on a wet early spring day in Atlanta. We absolutely destroyed the Russians that night -- they ended up looking slow and very old.

Too bad Bobby Knight had the last NCAA end to end undefeated team that year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 11:45:52 PM »
That's the point. MU hoops wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today if the T-Cubed were still here. Therefore, by definition, his departure was one of the best moments in Marquette basketball history.

True, we would never have gone to the Final Four and still be in Mike Deane territory, playing in Conference USA and happy with NIT bids.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »
Jmmy's buzzer beaters this year were great. Was watching the SJU game on ESPN 360 in the Business school, while doing a group project.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 05:13:10 AM »
Although it was the NIT.. the Virginia Tech game was brought up in the other thread.. and as tough as that game was, one of my favorites was the game at the Mecca when we beat South Florida to punch our ticket to NYC.  Never thought I'd get that excited about an NIT game, but the atmosphere was incredible, not to mention it was a close game.

I had cultural dance Practice that night and was itching to go...but I had a commitment. But when we wrapped things up, we turned on the boombox to listen to Homer and George (?) call the game. Then Theron downto the lake ensued after a gathering of MU folks in front of the AMU, I believe. Awesome memory because my bro was visiting from CA - and h took part in a special MU tradition: running to the lake.
SS Marquette

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 06:48:13 AM »
'77 was great, of course, the '03tournament run, but for me the greatest moments were going to the games. Walking through 24 below weather, being at the Arena, and being so PSYCHED - and no home losses my four years in Milwaukee. Special moment - my girl friend being so PO'd she didn't talk to ANYONE for a day and a half after the tournament loss to Ohio State. HAD to marry that one - seems like yesterday.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »
I wan't to think of one that nobody put down.

Dec. 2002- Marquette ended the four game losing streak to Wisconsin at the BC. Lead by Wade but known for that trick three point shot by Todd Townsend as the shot clock ran down mid-way through the 2nd half. After the game the players ran in like a single line to the crowd after the big win.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 07:52:59 AM »
'77 was great, of course, the '03tournament run, but for me the greatest moments were going to the games. Walking through 24 below weather, being at the Arena, and being so PSYCHED - and no home losses my four years in Milwaukee. Special moment - my girl friend being so PO'd she didn't talk to ANYONE for a day and a half after the tournament loss to Ohio State. HAD to marry that one - seems like yesterday.

+1....a lifetime of great memories, times just going to the games, no matter who I bring or am with or where.  College hoops is just a great tradition and pastime, if not hobby.  The sudden death nature of each and every game and how that affects your tourney seedings, the single elimination of the tourney always keep it interesting.  Four generation of families sitting together, freshman taking over traditions, baby blue coated coaches.  It is all good.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »
Many of my favorites have already been stated so I'll add Novak going off for 41 against UCONN in MU's first ever BE game.  Proved we belonged.

feedback