'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stop shooting James  (Read 4336 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Stop shooting James
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:42:19 PM »
James would have had a great game if he didn't shoot.  He did a lot of things very well.  But 5-20 from the floor? 1-6 from behind the arc?  His shot is soooo off that he should not be allowed to shoot from outside of the paint.

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Stop shooting James
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »
Can't argue you with you there but that 3 he hit was clutch as our lead ballooned up to double digits in a heartbeat.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
My wife got upset with me for yelling at him/tv when he dropped in the 3-ball to go up 12.  Even though it went in I hated to see him put that shot up.  

I did, however, greatly enjoy having a 12 point lead....if only it could have stayed that way. ;)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »
It was a clutch three.  This game should be evidence that we don't need James to jack up countless jump shots to win.  I thought his overall play tonight was a positive despite the bad shooting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
My wife got upset with me for yelling at him/tv when he dropped in the 3-ball to go up 12.  Even though it went in I hated to see him put that shot up.  

I did, however, greatly enjoy having a 12 point lead....if only it could have stayed that way. ;)

I was right there with you...bad bad shot selection but it went in.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
DJ did play well aside from the shooting.  I really enjoyed the assist to Ooze cutting down the lane on the break.  I think the ESPN guys enjoyed it too!!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »
If he just lets the game come to him (as he always has), rather than try to "impress", Marquette can do well this year.  It seems like he can go on stretches where he's trying to prove a point, and it hurts the team. 

When his points come quietly, the team excels.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 09:13:09 PM »
Agreed.  Kinda funny how that works.

Try too hard to be impressive and his game goes to hell.
Let the game come to him and voila, he is impressive!

Here's to hoping we continue to see more and more of the latter.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
James should watch the game of NJ Nets star Kidd who shoots when he has to but does it really well. Kidd always wants the other players to excel.

4everwarriors

• All American
I Wouldn't Emulate Anything...
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:00:43 PM »
a wife beater or wus of a 5' 2" woman would do.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »
I was THRILLED with DJ's shot selection in the first half.. it wasn't stellar but it certainly wasn't a liability either.. about a third of the way into the second he suddenly started shooting threes again and I wanted to hide under my table at BW3's... after the third miss I started turning my head and asking the waitress if it was ok to look again..
I'm all for him trying to test his stroke but I stand by my 2 miss limit for him and will further qualify it by saying all 3pt shots from him must be within 1 foot of the arc.
All that said.. I was melting on his slashing and dashing in the first half and portions of the second.. when he penetrated it drew defenders.. even if he missed he forced them to respect the inside game.  when he dished it to another player it was a very potent combination.  I hope he watches film and sees how important that part of his game is to the entire team!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
It would be one thing if he's just missing, but his shot is about as far off as can be. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:30:33 PM »
Just saw the SportsCenterU (ESPNU) Recap - lots of love for DJ, and unfortunately they showed the ONE 3ptr he did make.  Hopefully nobody tells DJ they were still gushing about him  :-\

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 07:29:21 AM »
anyone find a puddle at BW3s?

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »
This was a big win and hopefully it makes him realize he doesn't have to shoot 3 pointers for us to win.I thought he was trying to shoot us out of game at the beginning of 2nd half. I would love to see him work on fitting in a pull up jumper from the free throw line.It was nice to see him and the ref smiling on the inbounds play after Barro rebound that led to timeout.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:50 AM »
anyone find a puddle at BW3s?

It was close, but the fan in question made it to the nearest depository in time.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 11:10:29 AM »
I completely disagree. In no way would I advise him to stop shooting (I would advise him to continue to work on his shot). DJ is by far at his most effective when he plays with that aggressive attitude and realizes he is the best player on the floor and plays like it. He did that last night. Jacking up a few shots is part of that. If he gets weary about shots not going in, he will lose that aggressiveness and we will get the Dominic James we saw against Providence and Syracuse, not the one we saw last night. If he maintains that agressiveness and works to eliminate that little backward lean on his shot, enough will fall and he will truly be unstoppable.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »
I'd just rather have him taking those shots from 10 or 15 feet, not 20.  Remember how Wade played here, taking maybe one 3 a game.  DJ has the same ability to penetrate and not settle for 3s.  If you can get a higher percentage look, do it.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 11:33:28 AM »
agreed.  i don't think jacking up nba range 3's with 25 seconds on the shot clock is being "aggresive."  remove that part of his game, and i had no problem with his shot selection last night.  he needs to be getting into the lane and rising for the mid range jumper or dishing off to ooze.  btw, has anyone else noticed that ooze has perfect robert jackson's old move of basically standing out of bounds on the baseline, getting a pass and then stepping in and making a quick layup...