'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We ALL need to eat a little crow  (Read 5018 times)

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
We ALL need to eat a little crow
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »
We're all guilty of being incredibly negative this week, and we were justified. Tonight gives us a little hope, however. UCONN is a pretty mediocre team, but it was a MUCH needed win, and we got one on the road. We all probably owe Ousmane an apology too. This win by no means saves the season, if we lose to West Va on Saturday this win doesn't mean much. Hopefully we start to get a little confidence and play better basketball, like we are capable of. I'm just relieved to take that goose-egg off the board, things could've gotten ugly if we lost tonight.

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
Re: We ALL need to eat a little crow
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
45 secs to go up by 5. I will leave the board forever if I spoke to soon on the previous post.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
45 secs to go up by 5. I will leave the board forever if I spoke to soon on the previous post.

If that's the case, I'm not sure what I should root for now.  ;)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
We're all guilty of being incredibly negative this week, and we were justified. Tonight gives us a little hope, however. UCONN is a pretty mediocre team, but it was a MUCH needed win, and we got one on the road. We all probably owe Ousmane an apology too. This win by no means saves the season, if we lose to West Va on Saturday this win doesn't mean much. Hopefully we start to get a little confidence and play better basketball, like we are capable of. I'm just relieved to take that goose-egg off the board, things could've gotten ugly if we lost tonight.

Who's we Tonto? 

Some definitely way more than others.  I have tried to stay away from this board for the past few days.  Mainly because i was disappointed in the Syracuse loss but mostly because I knew there was going to be a lot of bitching on these boards.  Bad recruiting.  TC is not a good coach (great zone adjustment by the way).  TC is not a good recruiter.  Burke is not good.  Dom sucks.  We are NIT bound.  We won't make the Big East tourny.  Etc., etc. 

As diehard fans, we should be disappointed when we lose and when we look bad but it is amazing the number of posters that pop up on these boards over the years when we lose a game or two and things are not going our way.  Always has been and always will I guess. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:01:41 PM »
So wait ... this isn't the most disappointing team ever? One led by a incompetent coach who couldn't recruit a fat kid to a banana split? One led by a point guard whose love for self is rivaled only by Kanye West and Leon? One whose post players are as useful as central air conditioning to an Inuit?

Boy, a lot can change in a mere 72 hours. Well, 72 hours and a dose of common sense, that is.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »
Pakuni, it's good to see you.  :D

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
Can anyone suggest a nice wine with that crow?  I need to wash it down with something....nice win!
Ludum habemus.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:06 PM »
So wait ... this isn't the most disappointing team ever? One led by a incompetent coach who couldn't recruit a fat kid to a banana split? One led by a point guard whose love for self is rivaled only by Kanye West and Leon? One whose post players are as useful as central air conditioning to an Inuit?

Boy, a lot can change in a mere 72 hours. Well, 72 hours and a dose of common sense, that is.

I blurted out a large laugh on the Leon comment.  What very funny commercials.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 10:10:30 PM »
exactly - no crow needs to be eaten by all here.  You know who you are - hopefully you are not wearing red shirts now.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Kudos for the team for coming out and getting the win . . . . but . . . .

- UConn didn't look any good all night, they had no offense and played sloppy the entire night -- shockingly so.

-UConn inexplictably didn't play a zone.  Yes, we can beat teams who play us man, we knew that.  Calhoun is a bit to blame on that, but it doesn't reflect our ability to break that zone (although we were more agressive to the hoop.

Good win, and badly needed, but I am not satisified yet.  The way Uconn played, they almost gave us the game by default.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:10 AM »
Agree, my overall prognosis for this team hasn't changed much.  Loved the win, but I thought we had a decent chance going in because UConn does not even have a zone defense (though I thought a 5 point loss or so was likely).  Coach Crean and the kids should be thrilled.  But keep in mind we played an opponent whose strengths are not the kind that exploit our weaknesses. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »
please don't include me in the 'we'.......i figured MU would win this game.  and 1-2 is exactly where I had MU to this point in the conference season. ;D

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »
can ppl like pakuni just not post. enjoy the win, jeezus. this isn't the only thread on this board he's spraying his menstrual juices all over

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »

- UConn didn't look any good all night, they had no offense and played sloppy the entire night -- shockingly so.

-UConn inexplictably didn't play a zone.  Yes, we can beat teams who play us man, we knew that.  Calhoun is a bit to blame on that, but it doesn't reflect our ability to break that zone (although we were more agressive to the hoop.

Good win, and badly needed, but I am not satisified yet.  The way Uconn played, they almost gave us the game by default.

I think it is hilarious that every time we win its because the other team sucked, played sloppy, had a worse coach than ours (which by some of the posts around here is impossible as TC is one of the worst), etc., etc.

I don't think anyone is satisfied with last nights win but a large chunk of that credit goes to how we played.  A win on the road is no easy feat.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:48 AM »
Right you are.  UConn had a 31 game Gampel winning streak or something like that.  A very tough place to win.  On the other hand, South Florida is the best team they've beaten so far this season and they were soundly beaten by the two quality teams they played, UWV and LSU.  Theyre very young and they'll get better and this win will look better in March, I think.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »

I think it is hilarious that every time we win its because the other team sucked, played sloppy, had a worse coach than ours (which by some of the posts around here is impossible as TC is one of the worst), etc., etc.

I don't think anyone is satisfied with last nights win but a large chunk of that credit goes to how we played.  A win on the road is no easy feat.

Did you watch the game last night?  Or the game against Syracuse?  Both of those teams played horrible games, particularly surprising given the coaches on their benches.  The fact is the other teams played incredibly sloppy, if you disagree with me watch the game again and then come to discuss.

Of the three BE games we played, Providence played head and shoulders above the rest.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:38:04 PM »
Don't group us all as we...there are plenty of level headed MU fans out there that have nothing to apologize for.  Like others above, I stay away from this board in particular a day or so after a loss when all the "knowledgable" posters seem to come out.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »

Did you watch the game last night?  Or the game against Syracuse?  Both of those teams played horrible games, particularly surprising given the coaches on their benches.  The fact is the other teams played incredibly sloppy, if you disagree with me watch the game again and then come to discuss.

Of the three BE games we played, Providence played head and shoulders above the rest.

I dont know about you but i usually watch every game that is televised at least 2 to 4 times over the course of the following few days and yesterdays game I watched twice so I am more than capable of discussing the UConn game, Syracuse game and few others.  At this point in time our offense is predicated on our defense and our defense had a lot to do with Syracuse and UConn playing sloppy.  UConn helped early on as they were especially sloppy the first 5 minutes of the game with 9 turnovers but settled down after that and played much better.  Also I have read enough about UConn to know that they are not a good outside shooting team much like ourselves so the zone was the right call to make when TC did in the last 10 minutes of the game.  You are right in that they played sloppy but a lot the credit has to go to MU. 

If you watch enough MU games you will notice that a lot of teams play sloppy against us.  That is not a coincidence but the product of scouting and team defense.  The Providence game was not and we lost by double digits.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 11:03:16 PM »
Harrison still mysteriously absent....shocking.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 11:13:18 PM »
can ppl like pakuni just not post. enjoy the win, jeezus. this isn't the only thread on this board he's spraying his menstrual juices all over

Thanks for the kind words.
Sorta reminds me why I've stayed away from the boards for a while.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:36:15 PM by Pakuni »

feedback