'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Graduate Transfers  (Read 6489 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Graduate Transfers
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
Everything is repeatedly discussed here, including discussing that everything is repeatedly discussed here.

So, again, your statement was wrong. Thanks for playing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
In the post-game interview after West Virginia beat ND yesterday, while still standing on the court, Huggins was asked how is he going to celebrate his win and another S16 trip.  He said, deadly serious, he was going to walk into the locker room and talk to his team and then go recruiting.

So, yes, the Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Coach Cal, and Steve Alford are indeed sitting around their phones refreshing a guy's Twitter and Instagram pages. 

How do you think they got to their position?

Read the rest of the sentence buddy. It'll help you post things that make people actually want to take what you post seriously.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »

That said, I see no way Rowsey leaves.  He is a major part of this team and by all accounts loves Marquette.  Duane I could see, maybe, but how in demand is he really going to be?  Plus, as others have said, he has a little boy and his family is from Milwaukee.  Leaving could be complicated for him.  His post game comments after the loss Friday night certainly didn't sound like a guy who was on his way out the door.

Duane in the MJS yesterday as quoted by Matt:

"You've just got to remember we've got another chance; there's more life and another chance to play in the tournament," Wilson said. "I'm really ready to get to work. I've got a lot of stuff I feel I need to work on, the team needs to work on. ... Rest is key, then we'll really get back to these workouts and build this team."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
Read the rest of the sentence buddy. It'll help you post things that make people actually want to take what you post seriously.

Everyone knows you disagree with for the sake of disagreeing.  For some unsettling reason, you have made this a mission of yours.  So worry about you own credibility.

But you put you down again ....  here is the missing sentence ...

he's going to be a graduate transfer that averaged 16 mpg, 5 ppg, 2 rpg, and 1.5 apg on a bubble BE team.

So, who would possibly be interested in a grad transfer like this?

Well here is a graduate transfer that started 18 of 34 games and was only the fifth highest scorer on his team.  His name was Katin Reinhardt

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/stats/season_stats.pdf

But even more important, why is your argument that Duane is a crappy player that no one wants?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:42:16 PM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »
Duane in the MJS yesterday as quoted by Matt:

"You've just got to remember we've got another chance; there's more life and another chance to play in the tournament," Wilson said. "I'm really ready to get to work. I've got a lot of stuff I feel I need to work on, the team needs to work on. ... Rest is key, then we'll really get back to these workouts and build this team."

Hey Wades and Headband ...

Here is a much better argument.  Instead of arguing that Duane stinks and no one wants him, just note that he is happy and psyched about playing here next year.

Issue over.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »
So Katin provided no leadership whatsoever?  He came from USC and was a bench player for MU.

And you're positive a highly ranked team might not want to add a fifth year senior that might provide the leadership and/or experience should someone go down during the season.  MU certainly could have used a Wilson type in 2008 when DJ broke his foot.  And remember other teams see Wilson as a starter in the Big East (he was the last seven games) that was also a  tourney team.

So if you want to argue he is going to stay, why not argue a positive reason instead of essentially saying he sucks (or not good enough for a ranked team).

Again, I'm not trying to say he is leaving, and I do not want him to leave.  It's just everyone here see grad transfers as a one-way street, we only get them, never see them leave here for elsewhere.

1. Starting no matta. Katin played starter minutes and brought NCAA tournament experience. So yes, I think he provided some leadership though his newcomer status limited his leadership contributions. But note that I said "end of bench" player, which is what Duane was much of the year at Marquette, nevermind the schools you listed.

2. Starting no matta. So Duane technically started the last 7 games and has lots of starting experience from past years. But what in his play this year screams Big East starter. But I think Duane has had some nagging injuries. Can he regain his explosiveness? I hope so. But I don't think an outside program can count on that.

3. No where did I say Duane sucks. But objectively speaking, I do think the 3 programs you listed would aim higher up the grad transfer market.

4. The reasons for Duane staying are well known and much discussed. Didn't think I needed to rehash that.

5. All evidence so far suggests Duane is staying. Guess I forgot to look for boogeymen though.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »

Here is a much better argument.  Instead of arguing that Duane stinks and no one wants him, just note that he is happy and psyched about playing here next year.

Issue over.
You were the one who brought up Duane leaving. I was responding to your lunacy.

Had not seen the JS stuff till just now. So outside of being telepathic, not sure how I was supposed to know what was in Duane's head.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
Based on the players from the Georgia Basketball list with at least a moderate chance of becoming a graduate transfer, and knowing nothing else about any of them beyond height/weight/stats, a few have intriguing potential:

Payton Banks of Penn State. Good size at 6-6/220. Averaged 10.4 ppg in 26.7 mpg, shooting 36% from 3-point range (not quite at Katin's level, but close). Like Katin, shot selection, rebounding and defense are big question marks.

MiKyle Mcintosh of Illinois State. Great size at 6-7/230. Averaged 12.7 ppg in 26.6 mpg, also shooting 36% from 3-point range. A very good rebounder.

Ryan Kemrite of Liberty. 6-4/200, averaged 13.7 ppg on 31.1 mpg and shot 43.8% from 3-pt. range.

Jermaine Crumpton of Canisius. 6-6/240, 15.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 42.9 3pt%, 28.4 mpg.

My favorite might be Elijah Brown of New Mexico. 6-4/190, averaged 18.8 ppg and 5.2 rpg in 32.3 mpg, a 34.6% career 3-point shooter. He's from Cali and transferred from Butler to New Mexico after his freshman year, so my guess he's not going to return to the Midwest. But Katin came here from USC; you never know.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:46:52 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »

Issue over.

Nobody is arguing that no one would want Duane. The preposterous statement that you made in your first post was that a team in line to challenge for the national championship  (ie Kansas, Michigan St or Louisville)  would be interested in him for "senior leadership." I think Duane is a good player and am proud to have him at Marquette but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here in a while and that's saying something.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
Not one is arguing that no one would want Duane. The preposterous statement that you made in your first post was that a team in line to challenge for the national championship  (ie Kansas, Michigan St or Louisville)  would be interested in him for "senior leadership." I think Duane is a good player and am proud to have him at Marquette but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here in a while and that's saying something.

This

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
It's historically true  ... Lockett, Carlino and Reinhardt in while no one left.  It is also true that we have been active in the grad transfer market looking to Shonn Miller, Damian Lee last year alone.

On the other side, Rowsey and Wilson are the first two starting juniors (basketball wise) with four years of college (academic wise).   It has been many years, if ever, that MU has had one, if not two, decent plays that are in a position to actually grad transfer.

So yes, I think many "forgot" they could leave here too.

But I know, you all hung up on "everyone" as your specialty is taking everything as literally as possible while not looking at the broader meaning.

Not sure about all of this, but could Luke Fischer have been a grad transfer (had he chosen) from MU this past year?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »
Not sure about all of this, but could Luke Fischer have been a grad transfer (had he chosen) from MU this past year?

No. He only did four years. He transferred in the middle of his freshman year and became eligible in the middle of his sophomore year. Unless he graduated in 3 years it wouldn't have been possible.

Jamil Wilson may have been able to do it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Thanks, smoke eater.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
Everyone knows you disagree with for the sake of disagreeing.  For some unsettling reason, you have made this a mission of yours.  So worry about you own credibility.

But you put you down again ....  here is the missing sentence ...

he's going to be a graduate transfer that averaged 16 mpg, 5 ppg, 2 rpg, and 1.5 apg on a bubble BE team.

So, who would possibly be interested in a grad transfer like this?

Well here is a graduate transfer that started 18 of 34 games and was only the fifth highest scorer on his team.  His name was Katin Reinhardt

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/stats/season_stats.pdf

But even more important, why is your argument that Duane is a crappy player that no one wants?

Lol.  Put me down again?  Here I thought you said why wouldn't a team like Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc....teams with National Title aspirations...

Katin Reinhardt averaged 10 minutes per game more than Duane and 5 points per game more than Duane did.  He also was going from an NCAA Tournament team to a team that missed the NIT and lost their best player to the NBA.

But sure, Katin Reinhardt going from USC to Marquette proves that K, Roy, Self, Cal, etc. are salivating over the thought of having Duane Wilson join their team.

Hilarious, guy, hilarious.  You really put me down!

Any chance Duane Wilson grad transfers? 

He is a redshirt junior meaning he's been in school four years and could have accumulated enough credits to graduate in May.

Yes, he is emotional and loyal to MU but if a young highly ranked program, that could be in line for a National Championship (i.e., Lousiville, Kansas, Mich State) is looking for veteran leadership, would he be interested?

No, I'm not suggesting he will but rather trying to remind everyone that grad transfers go both ways.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Just disagreeing to disagree.  You got me.  Not just using the most minimal amount of common sense you could ever think of.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:59:36 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »

Issue over.

Hey Dread Pirate/Heise/whatever infinite number of names you've had, here's a much better idea.  Don't suggest Katin coming to Marquette means Duane is wanted by a team that is "one piece away from a National title" and I won't treat it for what it is, click bait.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
Hey Dread Pirate/Heise/whatever infinite number of names you've had

What he names himself no matta.

His friends (or whatever most of us are to him) call him Smuggles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Slightly different transfer question ... With Illinois and Indiana switching coaches, do they have an incoming freshman that considered MU?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »
We have a recruiting thread that is always on the first page. Look there.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 05:45:46 PM »
We have a recruiting thread that is always on the first page. Look there.

You mean the one with 244 pages and 6100 posts. 

Sad thing is you're probably serious.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »

Yes. I'm serious. Quit being a lazy ass and it will take you less than 90 seconds to find.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »

One can probably get by with page 1 and the most recent 2-3.   ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »

Yes look there.  Don't change the topic.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
Slightly different transfer question ... With Illinois and Indiana switching coaches, do they have an incoming freshman that considered MU?

There is a list on the most recent page of the recruiting thread.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback