Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul SOTG  (Read 9198 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: DePaul SOTG
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2019, 06:33:58 AM »
He's going to get another BEPOY next week off of a single performance.  Special basketball player.  Even better kid.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 06:48:33 AM »
He's going to get another BEPOY next week off of a single performance.  Special basketball player.  Even better kid.

I don't think he'll get BEPOY off any single performance.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »
I don't think he'll get BEPOY off any single performance.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Point is he will have earned it.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2019, 07:44:57 AM »
1.  Markus.  Loved the look on his face after he threw the ball into the crowd near the end of the game.
2.  Sammy.  Watching him in person showed just how good on D he really is.
3.  Ed is showing why he was so talked about as a transfer. 

Go Warriors!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2019, 07:52:59 AM »
Markus is amazing. Nobody like him when he gets that look in his eye.

This game was particularly enjoyable because he played within the offense and it never felt like the "clear out and let markus go" show that we've seen against k-state, buffalo, creighton et al. Special player.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
Maybe.  Maybe not.  Point is he will have earned it.

;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2019, 08:21:04 AM »
30pts 5 times from Novak to Carlino followed by Duane, then Henry, then Rowsey Markus and Sam do it repeatedly. We've gotten desensitized.

Ryan Amoroso had one too
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2019, 08:40:21 AM »
If Ed would have kept up his efficiency he had a shot, but foul trouble limited him so it's gotta be Markus.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
MU hosted a lunch for volunteers last Friday where there was a Q&A with Markus and Sammy.  Mike Broeker hosted.

Mike asked Markus, "So if another player wants to get the ball to you in the best place for you to shoot it, what spot is that on the court?"

Markus thought for a quick second, shook his head, and without a trace of arrogance, smiled and said, "It doesn't matter". 

That brought the house down.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
MU hosted a lunch for volunteers last Friday where there was a Q&A with Markus and Sammy.  Mike Broeker hosted.

Mike asked Markus, "So if another player wants to get the ball to you in the best place for you to shoot it, what spot is that on the court?"

Markus thought for a quick second, shook his head, and without a trace of arrogance, smiled and said, "It doesn't matter". 

That’s awesome
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
There was a possession in the first half, where Sammy was WIDE open in the left corner, waving his arms trying to get Markus's attention to pass him the ball.  Markus dribbled, shake n' baked and shot a three from just right of the top of the key, nothing but net.  Sammy had an "oh well..." look on his face, like he'd seen that before. 

It's not a knock on Markus.  Had he missed it, it would be.  Or if anyone else did that, it would be.  But Markus is just such a damn good shooter, how can you not just come away thinking it was a great shot?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
There was a possession in the first half, where Sammy was WIDE open in the left corner, waving his arms trying to get Markus's attention to pass him the ball.  Markus dribbled, shake n' baked and shot a three from just right of the top of the key, nothing but net.  Sammy had an "oh well..." look on his face, like he'd seen that before. 

It's not a knock on Markus.  Had he missed it, it would be.  Or if anyone else did that, it would be.  But Markus is just such a damn good shooter, how can you not just come away thinking it was a great shot?

I am sure even Sammy will say that if Markus has a shot he thinks he can make, he should take it.

We've gotten so used to Markus's crazy ability that it doesn't even phase us anymore.

I have watched games where Markus will take a shot that is way beyond where a normal shooter would, and someone who hasn't seen much MU Hoops will say, "WTF is he doing?"

I wait for the swish, turn to the person and say, "He's scoring".
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2019, 09:53:08 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »

That's great stuff.

Markus has the ability to get off his shot almost any time he wants to, even over much taller opponents. He's maybe had a half-dozen shots tipped all season.

When he is on, this is a very good thing. When he is off, it's not as good a thing ... but even then he almost always finds a way to make a positive impact -- gets to the FT line, draws a charge, leads his team, etc.

Overall, he is a wonderful player having an incredible season for an outstanding team. He is a leader on and off the court, and a credit to the university.

If only every student-athlete at every school could be like Markus Howard.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
That's great stuff.

Markus has the ability to get off his shot almost any time he wants to, even over much taller opponents. He's maybe had a half-dozen shots tipped all season.

When he is on, this is a very good thing. When he is off, it's not as good a thing ... but even then he almost always finds a way to make a positive impact -- gets to the FT line, draws a charge, leads his team, etc.

Overall, he is a wonderful player having an incredible season for an outstanding team. He is a leader on and off the court, and a credit to the university.

If only every student-athlete at every school could be like Markus Howard.

Seriously.  Even if he had no basketball talent whatsoever, I would still be super-proud of him as a Marquette student and representative.
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »

It was a set play coming out of a timeout if i recall right before half time.   Sam n Markus ran a pick n pop n tgere literally wasnt anyone with 20 feet of Sam.  Markus dribbled n took a contested 3 over both defenders.  Wojo was on the sidelines going crazy that Markus hadnt hit Sam.  Then Markus hits the shot n wojo turns n shrugs his shoulders.  I recall because my son n i were in the middle of a discussion about Markus n his draft prospects n his lack of court vision.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »

I said out loud "Look at Sam--look at Sam!!" And as Markus fired, there was no doubt.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
It was a set play coming out of a timeout if i recall right before half time.   Sam n Markus ran a pick n pop n tgere literally wasnt anyone with 20 feet of Sam.  Markus dribbled n took a contested 3 over both defenders.  Wojo was on the sidelines going crazy that Markus hadnt hit Sam.  Then Markus hits the shot n wojo turns n shrugs his shoulders.  I recall because my son n i were in the middle of a discussion about Markus n his draft prospects n his lack of court vision.

Rewatched the play and Markus bobbled the ball. I'm guessing he didn't give Sam a second look and assumed the window had closed and took it himself.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »
I said out loud "Look at Sam--look at Sam!!" And as Markus fired, there was no doubt.
Same here!

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
There are such things as good shots even if they don't go in. As a coach, we consider any open look in a shooter's "happy range" to be a good shot. For some kids, that range is a layup; for others it is a 12-footer; for others it is an open 3. Sometimes they just don't go in, but that doesn't mean they weren't good shots.

A perfect example would be the wide-open 3 that Markus got on the baseline after DePaul screwed up on defense. It might as well have been a layup. He had a similarly open 3 against St. John's that didn't go in. Both were good shots we all want him to take 100% of the time.

Markus does take several shots every game that are "bad" ... but they turn good when they go in.

Even as bullish as I am about Markus, I say, "No" before he shoots maybe 2-3 times a game on average. Damn if 1-2 of those don't splash right through.

Shooters gonna shoot, and scorers gonna score. If that's the "bad" we have to live with concerning Markus, that's A-OK with me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else ever ask themselves when a shot from Markus goes in, but touches the rim first:

Hmm, I hope nothing is wrong with Markus...

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »
but he missed two free throws.  Human after all.

I say send him back to Phoenix for the week and make him run that rock pile hill he used to as a kid. 

Then see if he misses any more free throws

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
The best question from the luncheon......

"Who on the team does the best Wojo impression?"

We even got a little from the 2nd place guy.   ;D

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
Does the NCAA tournament start in 8 days?

No, but my preference would be that he figures it out weeks before it does start.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback