Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Are the bottom 3 BE teams being judged by different standards?  (Read 5285 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Are the bottom 3 BE teams being judged by different standards?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »
I just keep thinking of the syracuse situation from a few years back.
They had a above 500 big east record and they didnt get in

They weren't that bad of a snub. If I remember right they also had a mediocre non-con. Cincy in '06 was a bigger snub.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muchalktalk

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
The only thing that scares me is if the committee just doesn't feel they can put 11 Big East teams in.  I wonder if our inability to win a game of consequence in the non-conference schedule will come back to bite us.  I think you are expected to beat some conference teams just because you know them so well.  Heck, Seton Hall had victories over Cuse, St. Johns, and us. 

Does anyone know if the committee looks at a win as a win, or do they look at circumstances around games?  The UConn game was our only real big road win, but they played without their coach.  The committee wouldn't ding us for that would they? 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »
Going into the Big Ten tournament the Big Ten had three teams that finished 9-9 and could be considered bubble teams. All three of them won two games.
The Big East also had three 9-9 teams. One lost, one won two and one won four and is in the championship game. Dayton winning the Atlantic 10 takes the Atlantic 10 from 3 to 4 bids. Virginia Tech winning yesturday probably puts them in also. The Big 12 had three bubble teams and two of them flamed out and Colorado problably is in. There are a lot of less bids now than there were a few days ago. It occurred to me yesturday that while I was rooting for Penn St, it would be ironic if Penn St. got the bid that knocked MU out. It is nice having Luandi say 11 Big East teams are in, but he does not pick the teams and there are not enough bids to get 11 in. MU has a lot of losses, but they are somewhat protected by the fact that Villanova lost their last 5 games and I think Georgetown lost their last 4. I will be relieved when MU's name is called on Sunday and will be very worried if I see both Georgetown and Villanova in the field before they call MU's name. I just do not see the Big East getting 11 bids. I am not saying they do not deserve 11 bids, but I just do not believe it will happen.
I had a hunch this was from you--it wreaked of gut-feeling sensationalism, which is right up your alley.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
As for there being a lot fewer spots today, disagree. The assumption was 2-3 spoilers and it will be 1-2 (cusa where if uab stays in we lose one spot and dayton if they beat richmond today). Of course some teams move up or down in major conferences, but bottom line is unless someone makes a big push to go back to almost strictly going by rpi, these other bubble teams who've done well are still way behind us.  Five top 25 wins and zero 101+ losses by itself makes us a 3- or 4-seed, so balance it with rpi and we still should have a decent seed.