'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Mayo comes back...  (Read 9560 times)

Parsighian

• Scholarship Player
Re: If Mayo comes back...
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
If Mayo comes back, I guess we are going to find out who is better.

Better or not the most important thing is that he come back

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »
And had he been 7 feet tall and dominant, he would have been Kevin Durant.

and if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 06:23:47 AM »
Better than Lockett? Yes.
Undoubtedly he is...Lockett has been below what I expected. Now that might change once he gets more acclimated.
But nothing really stands out about his game. I guess it is level-headed and balanced and he does not really try to anything he can't do.
And he can't do much more then he can....if that makes any sense?  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:25:18 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Parsighian

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
he does not really try to anything he can't do.

Ever see him drive the lane in traffic? Not sure what he is trying to do save for turning the ball over.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
Mayo is hands down better than Lockett. He averaged 8ppg as a freshman last year. Usually the big jump is from freshman to sophomore year.

Players were saying Mayo could be the best on the team this summer. He is so smooth in the way he plays. Him and Vander play with that killer instinct. Guys on the team now hesitate to shoot the ball and this causes defenders to collapse on them. It is obvious that Lockett is having a hard time transitioning to the tough style of the Big East and Marquette's fast paced play.

Our transition offense is being affected by our lack of fast break. I think a line up of Vander, Mayo, Cadougan, Anderson, and Otule with Jamil and Gardner coming off the bench will generate a lot of turnovers on the defensive end. Jamil looks a hell of a lot more comfortable coming off the bench and Anderson is a high energy guy. With us having a hard time starting games off hot I believe Anderson would fit the starting role better at this point.

Parsighian

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
Mayo is hands down better than Lockett. Players were saying Mayo could be the best on the team this summer.  Him and Vander play with that killer instinct.

Truth

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »
In the "fwiw" category, someone on the other site said he ran into Mayo coming out of the Al last night and Mayo confirmed he'll be back the 15th.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
Best news all season.  Mayo could still be the best player on the team by the end of the year even though he's so far behind with the team.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:49:17 PM by Jamil_toMU10 »

Parsighian

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
In the "fwiw" category, someone on the other site said he ran into Mayo coming out of the Al last night and Mayo confirmed he'll be back the 15th.

This is great goddam news. We need him back.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
Mayo is hands down better than Lockett. He averaged 8ppg as a freshman last year. Usually the big jump is from freshman to sophomore year.

Not saying your wrong, but I don't think this conventional wisdom applies to Mayo at his age.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »
IWB is saying nothing is positive and we won't know for a couple of weeks aboiut Todd.  I suppose the grades would have to come in first right?

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
IWB is saying nothing is positive and we won't know for a couple of weeks aboiut Todd.  I suppose the grades would have to come in first right?

I had heard it was not an issue of grades, but the fact that he wasnt considered a full time student based on the amount of classes he was taking...next semester he will meet the requirements for number of classes so thats why he'll be back.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
IWB is saying nothing is positive and we won't know for a couple of weeks aboiut Todd.  I suppose the grades would have to come in first right?

If true about Todd mentioning it to someone in person I have to think that is positive unless he wasn't sure at that point himself.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 06:32:16 PM »
I had heard it was not an issue of grades, but the fact that he wasnt considered a full time student based on the amount of classes he was taking...next semester he will meet the requirements for number of classes so thats why he'll be back.

It's not that simple.  He has to do well in the limited classes in which he is currently enrolled to even have the possibility of being back.  Todd mentioning that he will be back is just his confidence talking, because even he doesn't really know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »
I want the Mayo to come back who is as good as so many of our fans think, not the Mayo who fell off the face of the earth almost the entire Big East season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »

It's not that simple.  He has to do well in the limited classes in which he is currently enrolled to even have the possibility of being back.  Todd mentioning that he will be back is just his confidence talking, because even he doesn't really know.
I would think he would have an idea what his chances are of getting the grades he needs. If I remember from my days, most freshman/sophomore classes didn't have a true final but more multiple tests through the semester. If he got c's/b's on all his other work, I would think he has a right to be confident. Not saying this is the case, but I would think he has some idea what his grades are like and what he needs.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again only this time more wisely.
#Dec15

^^^ Mayo's Facebook Status

MarquetteDano

• All American
Lockett vs. Mayo
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
I want Mayo back as much as anyone, but let's not base our opinion on Lockett on his first 7 games for MU.  It seems like there is a contingent here that thinks Mayo comes back and Lockett will be relegated deep on the bench.

He has started slow but that isn't the whole season.  I think when it is all said and done, Lockett will still average 10+ ppg and nearly 5rpg.  That is pretty darn good.

Everyone was concerned about his turnovers on that ASU team, but his turnover rate is better than all the ball handlers, save Thomas.

Parsighian

• Scholarship Player
Re: Lockett vs. Mayo
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 12:43:53 AM »
let's not base our opinion on Lockett on his first 7 games for MU. 

I agree but the first 7 have not been impressive.

feedback