[Today at 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 24822 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: EV's
« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2024, 05:38:46 AM »
so much for EV's being environmentally "clean"...

"A latest study has claimed that electric vehicles (EV) may release more particulate matter from brakes and tyres as compared to modern gas-powered cars. According the study by Emission Analytics, the emission could be 1,850 times greater."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/car-bike/electric-vehicles-may-emit-1-850-times-more-particulate-matter-than-petrol-diesel-cars-study-101709709993008.html

disclaimer- I think EV's are kinda cool and would buy one if it for my needs, but the selling point of being "good for the environment" stuff is a bunch of horse hockey.  and yes, I did sell my Tesla stock at $260 ish, but I didn't buy because of it's cleanliness.  let the market determine it's value
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 06, 2024, 06:05:24 AM »
Lol. No.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #327 on: March 06, 2024, 07:31:00 AM »
So thirsty for material to satisfy your confirmation bias that you uncritically repost the Hindustan Times.

Buddy.

FreewaysBurnerAccount

• Walk-On
« Reply #328 on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:33 AM »
I got hit by a bus and it was not electric but i do not think that would have made my situation any different

thanks and hope this helps

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #329 on: March 06, 2024, 09:25:36 AM »
Let me be clear - I'm not agreeing with rocket  ;D

However, they do eat through tires, and likely brakes too.  My friends that regularly drive theirs have had to replace (expensive) tires about every year.  It's just the weight differential vs non-EV.  It is a maintenance cost concern.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 06, 2024, 10:45:12 AM »
Fascinating to watch.    Fisker may go belly up.    Meanwhile, Jaguar is going full electric in the next year.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2024, 10:50:04 AM »

However, they do eat through tires, and likely brakes too.  My friends that regularly drive theirs have had to replace (expensive) tires about every year.  It's just the weight differential vs non-EV.  It is a maintenance cost concern.

That's why EV owners should know to be appropriate strength tires.

This is a non-issue. It's all about buying correct tires. EVs, as a consequence of their increased weight, aren't any different than any other vehicle.

An owner of a Ford F350 isn't buying tires meant to go on a Honda Accord. The weight of the 350 would tear through the tires quickly.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #332 on: March 06, 2024, 10:58:15 AM »

I'm assuming that's because the torque/accel is so much higher w/ an electric motor?

I've wondered for a while when car companies are going to put some kind of computer governor system into place to basically re-calibrate acceleration down. I have a buddy who flies F18s in the marines, and he describes a fighter pilot as "a voting member of the jet." Meaning that if he hit the stick in a way that the computer knew would k.o. the plane, the plane simply wouldn't follow that input (I'm sure he's vastly oversimplifying, but bear with me).

If an EV has acceleration/torque high enough to spin tires on normal road conditions at the level of pedal depression that the average driver is going to employ, it seems like it's not a stretch for the mfg to have the computer nerf the input.

Also, I'd be curious on the brakes. I have a hybrid at 85kish miles, factory original brakes, just had them inspected today and they're still in great shape. I *think* the regenerative braking system that transfers energy into battery charging during braking must be alleviating some of the stress on the pads. At least that's my not-so-eductated guess.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2024, 11:21:35 AM »
EV tires are often made from a softer compound because EV drivers don't like hearing tire noise that is normally not heard over all the ambient noise produces by ICE cars.

https://www.tirereview.com/5-ways-ev-tires-differ-from-regular-tires/

Since EVs don’t have an engine, they create virtually no noise when driven. Therefore, one of the most important requirements of an EV tire is that it reduces as much road noise as possible in order to maintain the quietness of the ride. Noise reduction can be achieved through design and manufacturing techniques such as specialized tread patterns and sound-absorbing foam and rubber compounds.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 02:16:01 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #334 on: March 06, 2024, 11:23:38 AM »
Uh everybody ... it's tyres, not tires. Sheesh!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #335 on: March 06, 2024, 11:26:12 AM »
That's why EV owners should know to be appropriate strength tires.

This has happened with Tesla and Audi OEM tires.  Are you saying the manufacturers don't know what they're doing?

I'm assuming that's because the torque/accel is so much higher w/ an electric motor?

I assume weight, torque, and accel.  You might be right about the brakes w/regen - was only speculation on my part (and rocket's post).  I haven't heard about brake problems from those I know.

EV tires are often made from a softer compound because EV drivers don't like hearing tire noise that is normally not heard over all the ambient noise produces by ICE cars.

Interesting, especially since EVs have to have noise generators at low speeds so people can hear them.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 06, 2024, 12:52:47 PM »
This has happened with Tesla and Audi OEM tires.  Are you saying the manufacturers don't know what they're doing?

I assume weight, torque, and accel.  You might be right about the brakes w/regen - was only speculation on my part (and rocket's post).  I haven't heard about brake problems from those I know.

Interesting, especially since EVs have to have noise generators at low speeds so people can hear them.

My Kia EV is 2 years old. I have friends with Tesla and Ford. None of our cars has required tire replacement at an interval different than a non-EV.

Maybe the folks you know are burning out a lot and that's contributing to wear?

I mean, yea, EVs weigh more. And they have increased torque. But it doesn't follow logic that they would wear out any quicker as long as the tires are rated appropriately to the car.

The one caveat is that perhaps early tires weren't great but manufacturers didn't know? There are a lot of EV specific tires these day

A helpful video: https://youtu.be/8pM9o2Ifcro?si=7xF4dV6-VeCkdiNQ
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:59:13 PM by jesmu84 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 06, 2024, 12:55:26 PM »

I've wondered for a while when car companies are going to put some kind of computer governor system into place to basically re-calibrate acceleration down. I have a buddy who flies F18s in the marines, and he describes a fighter pilot as "a voting member of the jet." Meaning that if he hit the stick in a way that the computer knew would k.o. the plane, the plane simply wouldn't follow that input (I'm sure he's vastly oversimplifying, but bear with me).

If an EV has acceleration/torque high enough to spin tires on normal road conditions at the level of pedal depression that the average driver is going to employ, it seems like it's not a stretch for the mfg to have the computer nerf the input.

Also, I'd be curious on the brakes. I have a hybrid at 85kish miles, factory original brakes, just had them inspected today and they're still in great shape. I *think* the regenerative braking system that transfers energy into battery charging during braking must be alleviating some of the stress on the pads. At least that's my not-so-eductated guess.

Re: brakes - I would say with normal everyday driving, most EVs will rarely need brakes replaced because of the Regen braking.

After 2 years, my most recent inspection said I basically hadn't used my pads.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #338 on: March 06, 2024, 01:42:50 PM »
Maybe the folks you know are burning out a lot and that's contributing to wear?

That would not seem like the folks I know, lol.  I don't know what to make of our different experiences. One is an early model 3, smart dude, I doubt he'd keep putting on bad tires.  Other was a used 2019 etron (bought 21 or 22) that came with new shoes, and needed new ones again in 2023.

Only explanation might be miles driven between my peers and your peers?  Like I said, daily drivers, normal, but not excessive driving (14k/year).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 06, 2024, 01:51:58 PM »
That would not seem like the folks I know, lol.  I don't know what to make of our different experiences. One is an early model 3, smart dude, I doubt he'd keep putting on bad tires.  Other was a used 2019 etron (bought 21 or 22) that came with new shoes, and needed new ones again in 2023.

Only explanation might be miles driven between my peers and your peers?  Like I said, daily drivers, normal, but not excessive driving (14k/year).

No idea.

I'm at 15k/yr

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2024, 02:03:32 PM »
No idea.

I'm at 15k/yr

Yeah, odd.  I'll quizz them more next time I see them.  Is yours AWD / Dual motor / whatever?  Could also play a part.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2024, 02:07:34 PM »
Yeah, odd.  I'll quizz them more next time I see them.  Is yours AWD / Dual motor / whatever?  Could also play a part.

Yes, AWD/dual motor. 320hp, 446 torque.

But I rarely floor it these days

GOO

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:50 PM »
Yes, AWD/dual motor. 320hp, 446 torque.

But I rarely floor it these days

I highly doubt you can burn rubber in an EV, definitely not in a Tesla, computers do all the work. Personally I drive in chill mode. Slows down acceleration etc.  just like someone describes above of why should be done.

Yes ev and hybrid you should not  have to replace brake pads. Toyota hybrids maybe at 125k plus miles. EV with one pedal driving less often. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #343 on: March 07, 2024, 07:35:17 AM »
All right, I'll tell you why I'd buy an EV (I don't have one). If I can buy one that I can reserve the polarity and use it when the power goes off to run my house -- that Florida phenomenon called "Hurricanes" is real -- then OK, sold!

My house, by the way, is compliant with post-Homestead Florida building codes. Reinforced concrete walls, 150 mile-an-hour impact resistant windows. About the only burnable thing in here is the furnishings and the drywall!

This already exists.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 07, 2024, 07:39:00 AM »

While this is true, the amount of routine maintenance costs are much smaller.  There are thousands of individual parts in an ICE plus they need to be maintained/lubricated, etc.

Electric motors are incredibly simply and require next to no maintenance relatively.

If I could get 250 mi range under tow stresses, I'd change our entire fleet to electric asap.  Someday that'll happen.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #345 on: March 07, 2024, 08:34:48 AM »
So thirsty for material to satisfy your confirmation bias that you uncritically repost the Hindustan Times.

Buddy.

dude-did you read my "disclaimer"??  btw, you can find this study in multiple sources.  i just happened to find this one.  i have no idea what the hindustan times is or what it's affiliations or bias' are

just saying, if people want to continue to claim how good EV's are for the environment, need to do a little bit of critical thinking. 

see you found a place to use your new word-"confirmation bias"  sorry it fell flat however, but try again

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #346 on: March 07, 2024, 08:43:10 AM »

oh heavens no, can't have any of that as your friends here will start the cancellation process

EV's may also use softer tires because they want the performance.  my old xjr called for (high alphabet) rated tires and except for the occasional "messing around" i drove relatively mellow and still needed tire changes at 15k or so.  first time that happened, i was like wtf???

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2024, 08:45:40 AM »
  oh heavens no, can't have any of that as your friends here will start the cancellation process

EV's may also use softer tires because they want the performance.  my old xjr called for (high alphabet) rated tires and except for the occasional "messing around" i drove relatively mellow and still needed tire changes at 15k or so.  first time that happened, i was like wtf???

Cancel culture is reserved for those offended by beer cans
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 07, 2024, 10:05:50 AM »
While this is true, the amount of routine maintenance costs are much smaller.  There are thousands of individual parts in an ICE plus they need to be maintained/lubricated, etc.

Electric motors are incredibly simply and require next to no maintenance relatively.

If I could get 250 mi range under tow stresses, I'd change our entire fleet to electric asap.  Someday that'll happen.

It exists. Dodge ramcharger

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2024, 11:08:10 AM »
  dude-did you read my "disclaimer"??  btw, you can find this study in multiple sources.  i just happened to find this one.  i have no idea what the hindustan times is or what it's affiliations or bias' are

just saying, if people want to continue to claim how good EV's are for the environment, need to do a little bit of critical thinking. 

see you found a place to use your new word-"confirmation bias"  sorry it fell flat however, but try again

lol

Translation (of most of your responses to mild criticism): "and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad."