collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mexico?  (Read 30891 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Mexico?
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »
Mike, why the political crap in your signature???

It's not political, and it certainly is not crap.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
Travel warning issued to Americans.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/03/31/mexico-tourist-fears-violence-cancun-los-cabos/471115002/

I would say WTF, but this does not surprise me.  What’s surprising is how I look smarter everyday without learning a damn thing. 

Listen, I know how difficult - not to mention how ridiculous it must feel - to cancel pre-existing arrangements, but if you have children under 18, booking a new trip to Quintana Roo before this Shiite settles down (and I’m really talking some metaphorical Shiite Sunni crap, too), whether you take them or not, geez.... go to PR instead and at least help out the economy or do some good for people who will actually stop shooting at each other to let you pass.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2018, 12:07:53 AM »
A quote from a hero of the right?  How is this a problem?

he didn't say problem ts.   once again, some are more equal than others

btw, london overtook ny city in murders and it wasn't due to those scary metal things that emit projectiles at a high rate of speed
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2018, 01:52:49 AM »

btw, london overtook ny city in murders and it wasn't due to those scary metal things that emit projectiles at a high rate of speed

Picking and choosing facts. Thats just a one month sample. New York still has more murders since January than London, and had more murders in 2017. Let's at least wait for a year of data before making such sweeping judgments.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the murder rate in New York has dropped drastically in recent years, especially in such a large city. Which by the way, take a look at all of the gun control legislation passed by New York after 1990.

Anyways, getting off topic. Mexico seems to really be struggling as of late, but if Colombia can turn it around then so can Mexico.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2018, 06:09:04 AM »
A quote from a hero of the right?  How is this a problem?

More politics. That's all.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2018, 06:41:30 AM »
Picking and choosing facts. Thats just a one month sample. New York still has more murders since January than London, and had more murders in 2017. Let's at least wait for a year of data before making such sweeping judgments.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the murder rate in New York has dropped drastically in recent years, especially in such a large city. Which by the way, take a look at all of the gun control legislation passed by New York after 1990.

Anyways, getting off topic. Mexico seems to really be struggling as of late, but if Colombia can turn it around then so can Mexico.

True dat.  20 years ago one would never consider visiting Colombia.  Now it's on my bucket list.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
Day 2 in Cabo so far.

Fiancee and I have neither been drugged nor murdered. Smooth sailing. Lots of sun, pool and booze.

Of course, we haven't left the resort either.

That’s sounds suspiciously like what a prisoner would say. Blink three times if you’re being held against your will.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »
I know the discussion appears to have been about coastal Mexico, but I would highly recommend visiting Mexico City to anyone.

I spent 8 months there for work a couple of years ago and never felt unsafe.  Its just like any other large city in that you identify the areas that you shouldn't go to, and don't go to them.  The other issue it did have was with taking taxis in which they could end up extorting money out of you, but with uber now, that isn't as prevalent, and most nice hotels have legitimate taxi services.

But again, there is a ton to do in Mexico City.  Lots of culture, great food, museums, one of my favorite cities.  There are also lots of great close trips to do (Cholula, Puebla, Cuernavaca, Tepotzotlan).

I went back last year for close to a week and had a wedding to go to in Queretaro which was also a wonderful city to visit.

Most of the news you read about this stuff happens around the coastal cities.  I wouldn't let that deter you from visiting other parts of Mexico however.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »

How are people dying in London then if not by gun?  Beaten to death? Stabbed?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »

chicos was big on the "knives are as dangerous as guns" thing.

I'm so confused. Warrior Dad or Billy Hoyle?

rocketman - aka Boo Boo, aka "chicos whisperer" - please help us!

Coleman

• All American

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
chicos was big on the "knives are as dangerous as guns" thing.

rocketman - aka Boo Boo, aka "chicos whisperer" - please help us!

Times like these, I find it's best to consult Occam's razor.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2018, 12:27:59 PM »
Times like these, I find it's best to consult Occam's razor.

Which is just as dangerous, but much simpler, than Occam's gun.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »

Unless I got completely conned, Billy Hoyle isn't Chicos.  On a thread a couple years ago when Chicos was being his Chicos-est, Billy jumped in and took the opposite (and correct) position and repeatedly called Chicos out for being wrong.  I know Chicos in real life, and have PM'd Billy on a number of occasions.  If they're the same dude, I got totally played.

Edited to add:  Chicos even accused him of creating a bogus new account since he had the temerity to tell Chicos he was wrong.  If they're the same person, that's some next level psychosis going on there. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:02:59 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »
Which is just as dangerous, but much simpler, than Occam's gun.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »
Unless I got completely conned, Billy Hoyle isn't Chicos.  On a thread a couple years ago when Chicos was being his Chicos-est, Billy jumped in and took the opposite (and correct) position and repeatedly called Chicos out for being wrong.  I know Chicos in real life, and have PM'd Billy on a number of occasions.  If they're the same dude, I got totally played.

Edited to add:  Chicos even accused him of creating a bogus new account since he had the temerity to tell Chicos he was wrong.  If they're the same person, that's some next level psychosis going on there.

Thanks, SAW.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
More politics. That's all.

Congrats, real. Just got my wrist slapped for using a ruling by a SCOTUS justice as my signature.

So I went with another highly intelligent observer of the human condition, John Lennon.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
True dat.  20 years ago one would never consider visiting Colombia.  Now it's on my bucket list.

Last went in 2014, will be going back this summer.

Cheap as all hell and made even cheaper by the fact that I have quite a bit of family out there.

Stayed in Bogota and visited Armenia (coffee growing area) last time, hoping to get out to Tolu and other coastal areas this summer.

Also the best food I've ever had.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:03:23 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »
I know the discussion appears to have been about coastal Mexico, but I would highly recommend visiting Mexico City to anyone.

I spent 8 months there for work a couple of years ago and never felt unsafe.  Its just like any other large city in that you identify the areas that you shouldn't go to, and don't go to them.  The other issue it did have was with taking taxis in which they could end up extorting money out of you, but with uber now, that isn't as prevalent, and most nice hotels have legitimate taxi services.

But again, there is a ton to do in Mexico City.  Lots of culture, great food, museums, one of my favorite cities.  There are also lots of great close trips to do (Cholula, Puebla, Cuernavaca, Tepotzotlan).

I went back last year for close to a week and had a wedding to go to in Queretaro which was also a wonderful city to visit.

Most of the news you read about this stuff happens around the coastal cities.  I wouldn't let that deter you from visiting other parts of Mexico however.

I did not spend as much time as you in Mexico City but I was surprised by how much I loved it also after visiting multiple times.  I always stayed in the Polanco or on Avienda Reforma and went for morning runs outside.  For such an incredibly large city there is no one on the street at 6:00am other than cops and taxi drivers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »

good input/perspective-

one thing stood out however-uber-cuidado por favor

just a warning as we need to be careful about many things-good friend of my nephew was on spring break in fort lauderdale last month.  a good time was being had by all.  they called uber to pick them up.  yes, they were probably drinking, but uber comes, they get in, as they were moving about, the uber driver pulls out a knife-yes, a knife and tries to rob them.  one of the guys, who played football for his school tried to bail out while moving...he's in a medically induced coma fighting for his life

just saying-know your surroundings and be careful anywhere you may be

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »

guns were banned in 1997-knives, wait...people with knives kill people just as dead

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »
That’s sounds suspiciously like what a prisoner would say. Blink three times if you’re being held against your will.

Day 3 and we're still smooth sailing. Add sunburn to the list.

We depart resort #1 and head to resort #2 for our potential wedding inspection

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
guns were banned in 1997-knives, wait...people with knives kill people just as dead

Are you being serious or joking?  Do you have a link?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »

Cartagena and Santa Marta are all you need to see.  Both are great, especially the old city in Cartagena.

Bogota is counter-intuitively cold (high altitude), plus there's always overcast.  Barranquilla is Colombia's Detroit.  Cali is still very dangerous. 

Medellin is pretty cool, but it's landlocked.  About 1/3 of it is still dangerous.  Regarding the other two-thirds, I wouldn't recommend Medellin for a family simply because there's not much there family-wise.  However, I will say that it does have a fantastic night life.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Cartagena and Santa Marta are all you need to see.  Both are great, especially the old city in Cartagena.

Bogota is counter-intuitively cold (high altitude), plus there's always overcast.  Barranquilla is Colombia's Detroit.  Cali is still very dangerous. 

Medellin is pretty cool, but it's landlocked.  About 1/3 of it is still dangerous.  Regarding the other two-thirds, I wouldn't recommend Medellin for a family simply because there's not much there family-wise.  However, I will say that it does have a fantastic night life.

I recommend Armenia if you ever go back, or anywhere in coffee country. Spot on about the Bogota weather, if you drive two hours straight west from Bogota to Melgar, it goes from the mid-60s to the 90s, altitude plays havoc with the weather.

feedback