'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Apparently any jerk can write a column  (Read 2886 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Apparently any jerk can write a column
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10021803

I started to read this article thinking it would support my opinion that the OSU-UW game was just bad and that I couldn't believe these were the best 2 teams in the country.

First, I thought the cation on the Butch photo was a little tasteless.  That was nothing compared to the article.  That was the most angry I have ever been reading an article slamming the Badgers.  I couldn't even finish it.

"Wisconsin? The Badgers weren't good enough to win the national title -- period -- and that was before cryin' Brian Butch left Sunday's game with an elbow injury that might end his third consecutive disappointment of a season. The Badgers can make do without Butch's soft play and yucky body."

Low class writing.  I can't believe this guy has a job as a columnist.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Re: Apparently any jerk can write a column
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
this man is a joke, I hope he gets fired for this, he should.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
What an a@#hole! I hope UW fans, students, and alumni flood that guys inbox and his bosses inbox. Ripping a kid who just suffered a season and career ending injury is shameful. Rest of his article is way off too. I hope this guy gets canned.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:47:19 PM »
There was no need to bash Butch the way he did but he is right on with all his major points.

Ohio St. is not the #1 team in the country.
The Badgers are not either.
When looking at Tucker's stats about a week and a half ago, I was shocked that Tucker is not a better rebounder.  Definitely a step down as player of the year when you compare him to Durant adn a few others.

Still, he never should have bashed butch as bad as he did.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »
When the polls come out today, OSU will be the number one team in the country in all polls, so yes, they are #1. Who else should be?

Wisconsin doesn't rely on Tucker to rebound. They have a couple of 7 footers down low for that, plus a 6-8 swing man. Tucker has tailed off as of late, but he is still near or at the top of the list for POY in my mind.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10021803
First, I thought the cation on the Butch photo was a little tasteless.  That was nothing compared to the article. 

Did they change the caption? 

Here's what they have now:  "An elbow injury wasn't the only painful thing Brian Butch had to deal with Sunday."

I don't see anything tasteless about it--it was a painful game to watch, bringing back memories of Bennett or Soderberg, and Butch was in some pain regarding his his elbow.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:53:22 PM »
I wished I would have noted what the caption was yesterday.  When I revisited the article at lunch today, I was fairly confident they had changed it.

I believe it said something about Butch having more than one thing to cry about.  Don't quote me on that, but I believe it was something along those lines.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 08:35:23 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=2/26/2007&id=19722

UW's Butch out 4-6 weeks

Wisconsin announced that Brian Butch sustained a dislocation with an associated fracture of the right elbow in Sunday's game at Ohio State.

The injury carries with it an anticipated 4-6 week recovery time, likely ending Butch's season.

Butch started 29 game for the Badgers this season, ranking third on the team in scoring (8.8 points per game) and leading the squad in rebounding (5.9 rebounds per game).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:50:51 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »
The quote before was

"Watching Wisconsin and OSU play was enough to make a grown man cry" or something to that effect

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 07:52:01 AM »
What's the problem? Really...looking over the Top 25 yesterday I was thinking about what a sad collection of teams the NCAA has to offer this year. As for the Butch comments...could he have chosen his words a bit more carefully? Sure he could have. His point is a correct one though, he did just complete a third season that has fallen well short of expectations. Wisconsin won't really miss him.

Watching that game renewed the feeling I've had much of the season that UW may not be playing past the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament.

feedback