'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Notre Dame Really Embarassed Themselves Yesterday  (Read 4558 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Notre Dame Really Embarassed Themselves Yesterday
« on: February 25, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
I just got back from Notre Dame and I haven't read any posts but the one I did see was Marquette Really Embarassed Themselves Today.

Well Notre Dame really embarassed themselves yesterday.
- Fans throwing bottles at our players
- Cheerleaders shooting the Marquette banner with a cannon
- Brey running across the court to get in the middle of the shoving
- Crater walking over Wes as he tied his shoe.
- To a lesser extend the mascot calling out Marquette fans

Quite frankly if I'm Marquette and I see these things happening I'm playing with a chip on my shoulder too.

Don't crap on Crean sticking up for his player when Brey is running into every arguement from across the court.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Notre Dame Really Embarassed Themselves Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »
And quite frankly I don't want to hear they should be the better man and let it go.  Sometimes you have to stick up for yourselves and this was one of those times.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
Wow! and to think digger phelps was the whinniest coach ever to come to the milw arena..., complaining to Fr. Rainer et al about a student throwing a cup of beer at the players after a game, etc. resulting in a ban on beer sales for several years!

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »
Yeah, I saw that thread too and was also at the game and didn't understand.

I saw a team frustrated that they couldn't buy a call (not bad officiating perse -- except that big guy was allowed to just lower his shoulder and pushed his way through all game. He'll be a non-factor when not at home) and an audience that wasnt going to let any call slide.

On the other side, I saw more plain pushing in this game than I've seen all year in any game. I'm sure it wasn't the case, but it felt like ND was getting away with everything -- Brey pass over the half court line (which I'm pretty sure is about the clearest technical you can call -- you are either over the line or not) sort of proved it and the game wasn't the same after.

This was a big game for ND, and the fans were suitably excited. It was a physical game, though, so expect the coaches to be riled up. I kind of liked that Crean almost got a T.

This ND rivalry is going to be bloody from now on. They didn't deserve this game and they lost a lot of respect in the MU community.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:32:44 AM by nathanziarek »
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »
Brey came running across the court because there was a crazed hyena screaming at his players. And imagine the nerve of home court cheerleaders shooting t-shirts at a Marquette banner. Outrageous!

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
I don't care why he came across. He did and that isn't allowed. Very easy T.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »
Crean did exactly what he needed to do, Crater thugged McNeal right in front of him, it is clear that Crean loves his players like his own children, and either A.) You're a douchebag pansy that would let that happen directly in front of you. B.) You get in there and stick up for your boys.

Do you think Al would have let that happened? Do you think KO wouldn't have reacted no?

To comment on other things:
1.) I would never EVER want our cheerleaders shooting any bannners with anything, even on accident. That is flat out classless. I guess they should be happy they can reach those banners in that high-school multipurpose room they call an arena.

2.) Throwing things happens everywhere, there are always idiots. And the students ganged up on that kid, it was a good sign. The ND student section was classy. I can't say the same for some of the older fans.

3.) Crossing half-court, simply should have been T'ed. But TC deserved one too.  It was simply offsetting.

4.) Crater once again displayed this Huggins-type side while Wes was tying his shoe. Walked right over him, completely unnecessary, arms in the air, just in case the refs wanted to call something.

5.) The mascot was fine calling us MU fans out, it was in good spirit. That kid also really works the crowd. Very good mascot, but it has to be much easier not draped in 30 pounds of carpet.

6.) How about that goaltend/trap against the backboard? It was an old Todd Townsend move that should have resulted in a counted basket as it is an illegal move.

In the end, I walked out of the Joyce Center happy. MU played a better basketball game before the refs wanted to get themselves involved. If the ticky-tack fouls weren't called after our huge run, we're driving home from ND with a win and a good margin of defeat.

-- edited by spiral97 to remove offensive content.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:26:14 PM by spiral97 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »
I knew I shouldn't have had my buddy throw the beer at Digger and his team. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 03:08:52 PM »
@marqptm - I agree with all but #3. While they are all somewhat judgement calls, the T owed Crean was purely subjective. Brey crossed a physical line. The truth is, the Refs, even that early in the game, had lost control and the rest of the game represented that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
To Nate:Crean slammed the ball. It's grounds for something. I hoping for a Nick Molte-esque kick into the bleachers. The refs lost the game there, and then punished MU for it.

- edited by spiral97 to remove offensive content.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:36:43 PM by spiral97 »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »
1.  What's the big deal with hitting the banner with the t-shirt cannon?  The old ND fans behind me laughed, making me think it was pretty dumb, really no harm either way.

2. The mascot called out the Marquette fans by saying, "I guess all of those Marquette fans left at halftime."  That was followed by "We Are Marquette," by the MU people, by far the loudest they were all day.  I think he was kind of flustered a little bit and struggled through the lamest timeout contest I had ever seen.

3.  The best was when Wes fouled out, they did the old "Left, Right."  Wes waited until Harangody was about to let go on his free throw and sat down.  That was followed by the ND student section yelling "Sit Down" as Harangody was right in the middle of his shot.  Real smart their ND, although he made the shot, which took away my enjoyment.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
MUDPT: Wes was amazing, he even faked them out during the first FT.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »
It really shows the caliber of ND basketball fans, don't care as much abt the game as doing all the chants. Other than their defensive chants and stuff during timeouts, they really didn't have much to contribute to the game. Very interesting how they told us to go screw ourselves too. That ND team has no class. Harangody is the ultimate in goons. I liked how when Fitz responded to whatever he said, he dove about 6 feet out of bounds...like Fitzy could shove that fat p.o.s. that far. Also, that last free throw that ended the game showed just how classless ND is. Intentionally misses then goes up for a follow followed by going to the bench and high five celebrating like a cocky little prick. This ND team is nothing away from the Joyce. Losses to USF, St. John's AND Depaul on the road prove that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 06:49:38 PM »
I also enjoyed that the 'best band in the nation' were tapping their sticks together during a couple FTs. An easy T that should have been called

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »
Didn't Notre Dame complain long and hard when Michigan State staked their field?  I'd say shooting the banner is along that same line. 

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »
@marqptm - I don't disagree that he was probably out of line. I don't know if a T should have been called. It was completely subjective as to whether the Refs thought he was being abusive to them or another player. Maybe he should have, I just don't know.

While maybe silly, there is no argument that Brey stepped onto an area that he is not allowed where the punishment is a technical foul.

One is subjective and open to interpretation. The other is not.

Anyway, I agree with your other points, so we can probably just let this one slide...you can have the last word if you'd like :)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 09:38:10 PM »
That is a valid point, there was no harm to a player. It was contained to himself. I'm starting to agree with you.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 09:38:36 PM »
I'm sure we can both agree Brey needs to start wearing a tie.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »
...and a top hat.

...pretty classy!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 10:05:30 PM »
Can you believe Colin Falls plays in the NBA. Actually gets minutes. What the hell.