'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Foul situation  (Read 1448 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Foul situation
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:07:46 AM »
Why the hell were Hayward, McNeal and Matthews -- three starters -- all allowed to stay in the game long enough to pick up their third fouls in the first half!?!?

I understand we have a somewhat limited bench, but all three of them?? Fitz wasn't in foul trouble. Cubillan didn't have a foul the entire game. Couldn't they have filled in until halftime? I got the feeling that Crean was coaching to keep a halftime lead, which means nothing!

Of course, they all picked up their 4th early in the 2nd half, dooming us for the rest of the game. It's easy to blame the officiating, but keeping three starters in long enough to pick up their third fouls in the first half was questionable to say the least.

MUCam

• All American
Re: Foul situation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:16:49 AM »
I don't blame Crean as much for keeping them in, as I do for being caught short on the bench. We essentially have 5 players who play the majority of minutes at three positions. That being McNeal, Matthews, James, Fitz and Cubillan at the 1, 2, and 3 positions. Hayward can fill in at the 3, if needed as well. So, with Matthews, McNeal and Hayward in foul trouble, we had exactly three players for exactly 3 positions. Cubillan is really a pg, as is James. That leaves Fitz to cover the 2 and 3. I can't blame Crean for realizing either Matthews or McNeal or both had to play. Fact is, we don't have depth at the guard position.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:25:59 AM »
I don't blame Crean as much for keeping them in, as I do for being caught short on the bench. We essentially have 5 players who play the majority of minutes at three positions. That being McNeal, Matthews, James, Fitz and Cubillan at the 1, 2, and 3 positions. Hayward can fill in at the 3, if needed as well. So, with Matthews, McNeal and Hayward in foul trouble, we had exactly three players for exactly 3 positions. Cubillan is really a pg, as is James. That leaves Fitz to cover the 2 and 3. I can't blame Crean for realizing either Matthews or McNeal or both had to play. Fact is, we don't have depth at the guard position.

I agree about the depth, but once one of the two picked up their third (I can't remember who got their third first), you cannot let the other one get his third. Put Brice in if you have to -- or pack into a zone. But with that kind of foul trouble we had no chance in the 2nd half.

I know I'm labeled a Crean basher -- and I admit I'm not a fan -- but I acknowledge he's done a great job with the program and last year's team was just a phenomenal coaching job. But yesterday was not one of his finest moments. Just the opposite.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »
Jeez, if we're not deep at guard, where are we deep?  We have four fine college guards and two more solid wing players in Fitz and Hayward.  The problem is that we have to play those wing players out of position at the four most of the time.

DJ was not in foul trouble in the first half.  We could easily have gotten by with DJ and Cubillan and Fitz at the 3 for some time if we went to a zone, along with spotting the two fouls guys (Matthews, McNeal and Hayward) one at a time and allow ONE of them to pick up a third foul.  The problem is Barro was also in foul trouble and there we don't have depth.  So if you don't play Barro, you're stuck with two of Lott, Burke and Kinsella on the floor.  That is the disaster.  So you have to play Hayward or Matthews.

It all comes back to lack of inside players.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
At the end of the first half, we had Kinsella, Burke, Fitzgerald, Cubilan and DJ on the floor for about the last two minutes.   This is the time that DJ started trying to do too much.   What options did he have?  Personally, I think Lott should have gotten some PT, specifically to pound on the big freshman.   But our lack of depth was revealed, having only 4 guards and 10 schollie players available.  Personally, I think we should try some sets with Fitz, Lazar, and a big up front.   Provides a little extra size, Fitz and Lazar both have some 3 skills, it makes sense with certain matchups and gives our guards an extra breather.   Let us all hope that Hazel, Saunders, and Mbakwe are as athletic, as good defensively, and as good at rebounding as advertised.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
Tower, I agree completely.  It's something I've wondered about for quite a while..., as well as, giving Kinsella some time with Barro and Fitz.