[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: After loss, MU at 28 in RPI. Regardless of Pitt game, should  (Read 1941 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
After loss, MU at 28 in RPI. Regardless of Pitt game, should
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:40:50 PM »
finish in top 30 in RPI and DEFINITELY will finish in the top 30 for SOS regardless of the outcome.

In the history of the NCAA tournament since they have used the RPI, the highest rated team from one of the Big Six conferences ever to be left out was last year's Cincinnati team at #40.

Last year did see #21 Missouri State and #30 Hofstra left out, both from small conferences and both had poor SOS (MSU at 46, Hofstra at 129).

MU's SOS after the loss is 23.  We play #4 Pitt this Saturday so the SOS will only get better.

Some of you need to come off the ledge (note I said "SOME")

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
Re: After loss, MU at 28 in RPI. Regardless of Pitt game, should
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:09:33 AM »
Yeah we are a lock. I don't understand why people are worrying so much. We have quality wins over Pitt, West Virginia, Louisville, Duke, Texas Tech, and Villanova. Heck, did I miss any? Our resume is well worth a NCAA tourney bid.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:38:58 AM »
were in, no doubt, the only question is how far will our seed drop with our recent production (or lack there of). I just hope we can make it past the first round  ;)

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:03:58 AM »
I agree MU will get in the tournament, but to what end?  In my view, this over emphasis on entry into the big dance, often times masks a meaningful discussion on the performance of the team.  It almost becomes "oh, well, we lost, but we're still going to the NCAA?"  Or, "why discuss a hideous loss, since we'll get into the NCAA anyway."  Is going to the NCAA tournament that big a deal when we go one and done?  Does anyone really think MU will go far in the tournament with this team?  Will DJ's shot selection, get better by the first game of the tournament?  Or maybe a discussion on why we lost to ND when, in my humble opinion, we are a better team. 

michiganmufan

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:19:03 AM »
A loss against a tough team that is especially tough at home (look at the two ND - DePaul games to give you some idea what being in South Bend may mean to this team) is definitely no reason to panic.  It seems that our conference schedule definitely got tougher at the end (4 of our last 5 against the other top 4  teams in the conference).  The fact that we haven't beat one of them yet in this stretch might be a little more  reason to.  But MU is a young talented team, and at some point these guys are going to learn to start closing out these games instead of letting them get away, and, who knows, it may start happening next week.  I think that's why we don't want an NCAA bid to get away, because there is a lot of potential waiting to explode out of this team. 

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »
It's important that we make the dance and that will happen . If we can win 2 games then the season will be a hugh success and we still will have DJ  one more year and should be top 10 next year .

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »
I agree MU will get in the tournament, but to what end?  In my view, this over emphasis on entry into the big dance, often times masks a meaningful discussion on the performance of the team.  It almost becomes "oh, well, we lost, but we're still going to the NCAA?"  Or, "why discuss a hideous loss, since we'll get into the NCAA anyway."  Is going to the NCAA tournament that big a deal when we go one and done?  Does anyone really think MU will go far in the tournament with this team?  Will DJ's shot selection, get better by the first game of the tournament?  Or maybe a discussion on why we lost to ND when, in my humble opinion, we are a better team. 

Considering we have only been in the tournament 9 times in the last 25 years, that is the first goal.  No one knows what will happen once we are in the tournament, but a lot of people here appear to claim psychic powers to discern that we will go out quickly. Maybe we will, but the first goal has to be to get there.  Then you worry about the follow-up goals.

feedback