Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Props to the Trib  (Read 1145 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Props to the Trib
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »
I know McGrath is an MU grad, but I'm always impressed by the amount of coverage they give MU here in Chicago. Here's a nice game preview story.

Tall task for Marquette
Undersized squad needs strong game by forward Hayward

By Shannon Ryan
Tribune staff reporter

December 6, 2007, 8:37 PM CST

MILWAUKEE -- When Marquette coach Tom Crean ticked off the to-do list for Lazar Hayward heading into Saturday's game against Wisconsin, Hayward probably understood how Beyoncé's personal assistant must feel.

There is no short order on tasks for Hayward, a 6-foot-6-inch forward on a guard-heavy team who will need to have a strong presence against Wisconsin's large lineup.

"I think it's important that he plays inside out and can read different things," Crean said.

Anything else?

"That he can move the ball and he can space the floor," Crean said.

And?

"It's very important that he can get to the rim ... and he's got to be able to get his own rebounds."

Whew! Luckily for the Golden Eagles, Hayward enjoys multitasking.

The sophomore from Buffalo has played small forward, power forward and center — and has been asked to defend all three positions. Assistant coach Buzz Williams turned to Hayward at a recent practice and semi-jokingly asked, "What position are you really?"

"I just laughed," Hayward said. "I don't think I have a set position, and I think that's good."

It will definitely be valuable in the non-conference game against the Badgers (6-1) at the Kohl Center, where Marquette (5-1) has lost four straight.

The Golden Eagles will try to take advantage of their speed with guards Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews, but Hayward could help limit the damage taller Wisconsin can wreak on the inside.

The Badgers start two 6-11 players and another two who are 6-7, with a 6-10 forward coming off the bench. No Golden Eagle other than Ousmane Barro at 6-10 comes close to matching that towering lineup.

"They've got an extremely big lineup, probably one of the biggest in college basketball," Crean said. "I know they're going to try to high-low us to death."

Hayward's rebounding, a team-high 5.8 per game, could make a difference in keeping the Golden Eagles moving the ball up the court.

"When he gets a rebound, it skips a step for us on the outlet," Crean said. "You've got four guys on the floor who can start your break without throwing an outlet pass. That's a big thing. He's making those strides."

Hayward did not start the first two games of the season while Crean made certain he got the message of what the Golden Eagles needed from him.

Hayward has become more athletic and aggressive, and as a result his scoring average jumped from 6.6 points per game as a freshman to 12.8 points per game this season. Hayward leads the Golden Eagles with a 58.8 field goal percentage and has performed well defensively.

"He's going to get a great matchup every night, whether he matches up with a 3 or sometimes a 4 or sometimes a 5 man," Crean said. "He's got to have that mind-set that he can really match up and hold his own, that he can score, rebound and defend at a high level in those games. I think he's doing that. He's playing with a ton of confidence."

The Badgers offer a host of challenging players. Guard Trevon Hughes averages 16.7 points a game, while 6-11 forward-center Brian Butch averages 13.1 points and nine rebounds.

Wisconsin outrebounds opponents by an astounding 42.9 to 29.6, which makes Hayward's ability to rebound vitally important.

"He knows the places where he can get his rebounds, and he knows his role," said McNeal, a junior guard from Hillcrest who leads the Golden Eagles with 16 points per game. "He's been so consistent for us. That's something that we really needed the last couple of years, and he's filled that spot."

Hayward is coming off a 19-point, 11-rebound performance in a 100-65 win against Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the first double-double of his career.

"I can't come out and get a double-double and be all right with it," Hayward said. "I'm probably not to the point where I can average that, but I definitely have to look to get that [more consistently]."

•Marquette forward Dan Fitzgerald is listed as day to day with a sprained left wrist. He did not play against Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Crean said more would be known on Fitzgerald's status by game time. In early-week practices he was limited to conditioning workouts rather than shooting.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-071206marquette,1,4710778.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Props to the Trib
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »
Aside from Rosiak's blog which can only be seen online, the Chicago Tribune gives a thousand time better game preview than the Journal Sentinal.

How sad is that?

Even the Fitz information in the article didn't make it into Rosiak's blog yet.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Re: Props to the Trib
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »
The Journal Sentinel reflects the 'great' state of Wisconsin's priorities for sports which are 1. Packers 2. Packers 3. Packers 4. Brett Favre fishing and hunting 5. UW-Madison 6. UW-Madison 7. UW-Madison 8. Marquette. 

The Chicago Tribune has done a much better job covering Marquette for years.  The Tribune is a national newspaper that actually looks outside of Chicago and Illinois for news to report.  The Journal Sentinel is a low budget rag that reflects the provincial attitude prevalent in Wisconsin that nothing matters outside of the borders of the state.

feedback