'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big Wins  (Read 2489 times)

Judd

• Walk-On
Big Wins
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »
Hey guys my first post after reading this site since the beginning.

TC has done so many good things for this program but the one thing that concerns me is not being able to win those real big games. Last year having UW at home with everything to gain with a victory we came up short. Then of coarse there's the NCAA'S tourney games, and not doing so well in Conference tourney games that make me a little nervous if we can ever get over the hill.

I think we are so close to being a real power house but we need to start winning more of these games.

If we do I believe the sky is the limit as the real big time recruits will come as well as even more overall coverage. So to me this game at UW is a must win to get over the hump.

Next year the game will be at the BC, we will be a very good team, so we should win. With a two game winning streak, plus hopefully a couple tourney wins, instate kids will start looking at us first.

Here's hoping for a great outcome on Saturday that will set the stage for the rest of the season. GO MU
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:57:17 AM by mu_hilltopper »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Big Wins
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:01:17 AM »
Thanks for contributing, Judd.  Welcome.

No doubt, this game is a big one .. but we'll be underdogs.  Just like when we're @UL, @ND, @Nova .. we'll have more chances to win big games on the road this year, so I don't think this is a must-win, (other than, of course good triumphing over evil is a must-win.)

But we're somewhat snakebit against UW, home or away.  -- I'll bet 80% of fans here expect a loss.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:29:07 AM »
I actually think Crean has done a good job in big games when he's had a chance to prepare -- UCONN, some PITT games, Great Alaska Shootout -- and I expect we'll play well tomorrow. I thought last year's Wisco game was a bit of an aberration in that regard. 

It's when he doesn't quite know who his opponent is going to be that we've looked a little lost -- Holy Cross, Western Michigan, Tulsa, Alabama, Michigan State.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
Woah!  A Tom Crean compliment from PRN?  The hell is going on here?

But I fully agree with PRN.  Don't forget the Texas Tech and Duke games last year as well.  If I'm not mistaken Crean was going over Tech and Duke tapes over the summer to prepare for these games.  (Maybe overlooked Idaho St. a bit much!)

We will get a big win this year.  Just wait for it.  Granted we will have a let down game too, but hey what team doesn't?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:31:40 AM »
Yeah, not sure what is going on here, a compliment from PRN; is this a dream?   ;)

I guess I've never noticed that, but now that you mention it, I would have to agree.  Does anybody have a theory on this?  Does Crean taylor his game plans to opponents more than other coaches?  Or is it just a matter of circumstances?  I think MU had ample time to prepare for the last two tourney foes and we all know what those results were.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
We couldn't buy an outside shot in that Wisconsin game last year and we had a ton of wide open looks.  Hopefully this year we hit some of those as I don't see any easy baskets in the lane.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:46:31 AM »
Alando Tucker isn't walking through that door.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »
Alando Tucker isn't walking through that door.

Easy there Slick Rick!    :D

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:46:01 AM »
In Crean's tenure we've beaten a #1 ranked team (Kentucky) and a #2 ranked team (UConn), so we do have big wins.

This game is crucial, because it's our only chance for a quality OOC win.  If we go 14-4 in conference, this game won't be a big deal in terms of the post-season, but if we go 10-8 and don't have the UW win, it'll be a very nervous selection Sunday.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
no tucker,taylor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »
Okay Oden and Durant were remarkable...but tucker was right there. He was a MU killer everytime he played us.

I know it's in madison...but without taylor and tucker, how can MU fans expect a loss?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Re: no tucker,taylor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »
Okay Oden and Durant were remarkable...but tucker was right there. He was a MU killer everytime he played us.

I know it's in madison...but without taylor and tucker, how can MU fans expect a loss?

Are you sure Tucker's gone?  I thought he had six, if not seven, years of eligibility.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: no tucker,taylor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 11:30:13 AM »

Just to answer the question
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »
Hey guys my first post after reading this site since the beginning.

TC has done so many good things for this program but the one thing that concerns me is not being able to win those real big games. Last year having UW at home with everything to gain with a victory we came up short. Then of coarse there's the NCAA'S tourney games, and not doing so well in Conference tourney games that make me a little nervous if we can ever get over the hill.

I think we are so close to being a real power house but we need to start winning more of these games.

If we do I believe the sky is the limit as the real big time recruits will come as well as even more overall coverage. So to me this game at UW is a must win to get over the hump.

Next year the game will be at the BC, we will be a very good team, so we should win. With a two game winning streak, plus hopefully a couple tourney wins, instate kids will start looking at us first.

Here's hoping for a great outcome on Saturday that will set the stage for the rest of the season. GO MU

Last I checked we were something close to .500 against ranked teams....anytime you play a ranked team, I'd say that's a big game.

Wisconsin has lost 5 games at the Kohl Center since 2001.  It will be a TALL TALL TALL order to beat them.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »

UW could beat the Celtics at the Herbie. After all, any Big Three is in foul trouble after 5 minutes.

feedback