[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fraternities  (Read 10124 times)

tower912

• All American
Fraternities
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
Who is the guy who used to defend fraternities?   And will you try to do so now?     Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma......  I must say they are currently living down to every negative cliché imaginable.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Fraternities
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »
Still here and yes. How many times have you heard about philanthropy in the news? Just last week we raised 1500 dollars but I didnt see a new story about that. Yes these instances are unacceptable but you honestly think racism is only in fraternities? Please, one of the reasons Marquette pisses me off so much is because of the racist views from the general population. Racism is no okay, but pinning it only on fraternities is bad as well and frankly just ignorant.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
Only one incident is race based.   All are entitled attitude based.   And you are not the first nor the last to be frustrated by attitudes of fellow students perceived to be racist. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
Only one incident is race based.   All are entitled attitude based.   And you are not the first nor the last to be frustrated by attitudes of fellow students perceived to be racist.  

The most entitled people at MU are not in fraternities. I can tell you that for sure. I present to you, the lacrosse team, Crew, ski club, etc. I have no money, my parents are public school teachers. So please tell  me how everybody in fraternities have entitled attitudes.

Look, I already know how pointless this is going to be. There is nothing I can say that is going to change your view and coming into Marquette I was the same way. But throughout my MU experience, the biggest dicks I know arent greek affiliated.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:36:20 PM by ChitownJuan »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »
The most entitled people at MU are not in fraternities. I can tell you that for sure. I present to you, the lacrosse team, Crew, ski club, etc. I have no money, my parents are public school teachers. So please tell  me how everybody in fraternities have entitled attitudes.

Look, I already know how pointless this is going to be. There is nothing I can say that is going to change your view and coming into Marquette I was the same way. But throughout my MU experience, the biggest dicks I know arent greek affiliated.

Well that's just mean... it's true they're usually the club teams (I admit to being a dick when I played club lax) but it's still mean. And we get into less sexual assault issues and don't make lists for our parties despite being dicks.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »

Fair enough.   When I was at MU, there wasn't enough of a greek system to even think about, which to me was one of the appeals.   And you are correct.   I have unfairly painted with a broad brush.  On a personal note, when I was at MU as the son of a firefighter and a nurse, I, too had less money and pedigree than many of my friends.   However, it can't be denied that recent actions of some fraternities are in lockstep with the most negative clichés.  

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
Well that's just mean... it's true they're usually the club teams (I admit to being a dick when I played club lax) but it's still mean. And we get into less sexual assault issues and don't make lists for our parties despite being dicks.

By law were required to make lists so that point is completely inaccurate. Sexual assult, again, not just limited to fraternities

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:47:35 PM »
By law were required to make lists so that point is completely inaccurate. Sexual assult, again, not just limited to fraternities

I mean I don't really care I usuallh was on them, but it just makes yall seem very elitist and then the distribution of tickets for beer is a joke.

I agree they're not limited to fraternities but put 20+ guys in a house that's designed for parties and such it'll be much more prevalent than say an apartment with a few people.  Personally I couldn't care less as long as there's still independent parties that welcome everyone and actually serve beer in a non exclusive manner. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
They were noble

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 06:14:13 PM »
My general feelings about fraternities, working in higher education for 25 years, is that they aren't as bad as their detractors think...but they aren't as good as their supporters think.

Basically just a bunch of guys hanging out, partying and raising some money for charity.  You know...like many other student orgs.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
They were noble

They set up cameras at the Pi house and their co-founder donned a mask and raped the lovely Miss Betty Childs.  Let's not forget when they took advantage of the poor girls of Omega Mu after feeding them all "wonder joints". How U.N. Jefferson put up with their shenanigans I'll never know.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
My general feelings about fraternities, working in higher education for 25 years, is that they aren't as bad as their detractors think...but they aren't as good as their supporters think.

Basically just a bunch of guys hanging out, partying and raising some money for charity.  You know...like many other student orgs.

I agree 100%.  I wasn't greek but didn't have much against them, jealous at times for some of their social benefits, perfectly fine with my path.

I was in a business organization, co-ed with about 80-100 active members.  We shared some qualities of a frat such as bigs and littles, recruitment and rushing classes, etc...  We earned $70K in revenue from our business projects in my senior year and donated close to $5000 with various philanthropies...but yet we had new member parties that ended up in freshmen/sophomores in the hospital, had a theme party or two that were borderline offensive in retrospect, and generally acted like college students.  Not that I'm proud of the latter, but it happened.

My point is, I think the group think of college students leads to issues, not fraternities themselves.  3-4 fools get away with alot.  Put them with a bunch of others and suddenly the spotlight is brighter on immature activity.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »

They set up cameras at the Pi house and their co-founder donned a mask and raped the lovely Miss Betty Childs.  Let's not forget when they took advantage of the poor girls of Omega Mu after feeding them all "wonder joints". How U.N. Jefferson put up with their shenanigans I'll never know.

You forgot that they also sold nude photo of Miss Childs to other college students. And they used tall, athletic African American men from their national council to intimidate members of another fraternity.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »

Not exactly. Laws had nothing to do with it... it was your insurance underwriter who required you to keep lists at the door.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
Not exactly. Laws had nothing to do with it... it was your insurance underwriter who required you to keep lists at the door.

it's a marquette rule.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 01:44:13 AM »
The most entitled people at MU are the ski club

You gotta be f ucking sh1tting me!!

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 05:57:13 AM »
I did not belong to fraternity, but a few of my friends did. One fraternity my friend belonged to had files of past mid-term and final exams from many of the professors at MU. You would be surprised how many, but not all, of the same questions appeared on those tests. So I guess it's not all party and beer. I guess my question is, is that cheating?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »
I did not belong to fraternity, but a few of my friends did. One fraternity my friend belonged to had files of past mid-term and final exams from many of the professors at MU. You would be surprised how many, but not all, of the same questions appeared on those tests. So I guess it's not all party and beer. I guess my question is, is that cheating?

Yes.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »

My dad was president of his frat (not at Marquette) back in the '50's, and he talked about the files of tests they kept even back then.

It's a well-known practice.  Shame on the professors who know this, but still don't put in the effort to come up with new tests, or at least have a multiple-year rotation.
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:27 AM »
My perspective on fraternities is this: What do they offer that can't be achieved through a non-fraternity at a university like MU?

1. Philanthropy: There are more charitable efforts, causes, fund raisers, service trips, etc. than any one student could possibly do available either through the university or roughly in connection with the university. Just because a fraternity raises money for charity doesn't set it above any of the programs that also do so.

2. Community: Arranging one's peer group around the shared experience of identifying in a fraternity chapter is hard to replicate. However, it is not difficult to make plenty of friends and have plenty of social community at MU without being in a fraternity. What I guess you can't get without a frat is a network of potentially connected alumni (I hear this is bigger at big state schools, especially SEC schools) who will be useful in a professional setting.

I wasn't in a frat and am leaving out plenty of selling points, but my general take is this: The good things you can get out of a fraternity you can get in other ways on campus. The bad things you might get at a fraternity come up often enough I'm getting a little where there's smoke there's fire vibe.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
I mean I don't really care I usuallh was on them, but it just makes yall seem very elitist and then the distribution of tickets for beer is a joke.

Again required by Marquette.  You had to mark the hand of anyone under 21 as well.  Anything else...all those rules are made by Marquette, why would anyone in there right mind want to hand out beer vouchers...its a party.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
My dad was president of his frat (not at Marquette) back in the '50's, and he talked about the files of tests they kept even back then.

It's a well-known practice.  Shame on the professors who know this, but still don't put in the effort to come up with new tests, or at least have a multiple-year rotation.

I agree with this.  Keeping your tests backlogged at your Fraternity in and of itself isn't cheating.  Doing it knowing that the profs don't change their tests make it shady, but who's fault is it that the profs are too lazy to change their tests?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »
I agree with this.  Keeping your tests backlogged at your Fraternity in and of itself isn't cheating.  Doing it knowing that the profs don't change their tests make it shady, but who's fault is it that the profs are too lazy to change their tests?

Read your student handbook, it is actually cheating.

Whenever you get 20-30 dudes living in a house together, there's going to be weird crap that happens.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
Still here and yes. How many times have you heard about philanthropy in the news? Just last week we raised 1500 dollars but I didnt see a new story about that. Yes these instances are unacceptable but you honestly think racism is only in fraternities? Please, one of the reasons Marquette pisses me off so much is because of the racist views from the general population. Racism is no okay, but pinning it only on fraternities is bad as well and frankly just ignorant.
$1,500... why not just donate to the internet's fraternity, www.thechive.com
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback