Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8604450 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/1/16
« Reply #2425 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »
Hmmm. Marquette has been posting weekly Wojo videos, this week's just came out and its focus is on assistant coaches. Except, no mention of Stan Johnson.

He mentioned Nelson and Carawell.  Didn't mention Johnson, Diener, Gainey, or Presutti.  Cleaning house, ai'na?

Also, if you didn't notice yet, Wojo is always wearing the same outfit in each of these videos.  I doubt they ask Wojo to sit down for 1 minute and discuss a single topic each week.  My best guess is all of these 1 minute videos were filmed at the same time, being asked about each topic, and then they edit it to 1-2 minutes and send them out each week.  So if this is revealing about Stan, he would've been Tweeting nasty things before the first one, not just now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:02:58 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #2426 on: July 19, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
He mentioned Nelson and Carawell.  Didn't mention Johnson, Diener, Gainey, or Presutti.  Cleaning house, ai'na?

No, Nelson and Carawell are both assistant coaches, as is Stan Johnson. Those are the only three. The others you listed are not assistant coaches.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2427 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
No, Nelson and Carawell are both assistant coaches, as is Stan Johnson. Those are the only three. The others you listed are not assistant coaches.

He opens up talking about his staff.  Consistency from the staff.  Diener, Gainey, Presutti, and even Todd Smith, the team doctors, etc. are all the staff of MUBB.

Again, these were clearly all filmed at once.  This wasn't filmed yesterday or this past weekend.  Johnson wasn't named directly in the video like Carawell and Nelson so he's getting upset now or...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #2428 on: July 19, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
He opens up talking about his staff.  Consistency from the staff.  Diener, Gainey, Presutti, and even Todd Smith, the team doctors, etc. are all the staff of MUBB.

Again, these were clearly all filmed at once.  This wasn't filmed yesterday or this past weekend.  Johnson wasn't named directly in the video like Carawell and Nelson so he's getting upset now or...?

I have no idea and not claiming any inside knowledge. It just seems weird to talk at length about two of your assistants and not the third. This was shot awhile ago, but they could have easily just cut out Johnson's part.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2429 on: July 19, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »

The one caveat about this list is that there are certain players that UW or MU didn't have any interest in, or had interest in but it was clear they weren't interested in the other program.

So who were the players that had both MU and UW in their final five and selected MU?  Blue, Matthews and Novak?  UW looked at Diener, but went with Devin Harris instead who surprisingly wasn't top 100.  UW had no real interest in a number of these guys.  (Burton, Duane, Cohen, etc.)

I think Butch is the only one of the UW players where MU was a "finalist."  Many of the others committed early, or at least eliminated Marquette early.

Pretty sure UW was one of Diener's  finalists, with MU and Utah and maybe St. Louis. UW signed Harris in the spring after losing out on Diener. (MU also recruited Harris).
I believe MU was one of Keaton Nankivil's final three, but he apparently wasn't top 100.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: July 19, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
I have no idea and not claiming any inside knowledge. It just seems weird to talk at length about two of your assistants and not the third. This was shot awhile ago, but they could have easily just cut out Johnson's part.

"At length?"  The entire video is 1 minute long.  And exactly.  I'm sure Wojo did talk about Stan, and the other guys.  But they are sending out 1 minute long videos each week on certain subjects.  There's only so much you can fit into 1 minute.  Wojo opens up talking about consistency within the coaching staff.  He then talks about the 2 guys who have been with him since he took over the program...Chris Carawell and Brett Nelson.  Stan Johnson was not one of those 2 guys.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:23:58 AM by wadesworld »

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: July 19, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
"At length?"  The entire video is 1 minute long.  And exactly.  I'm sure Wojo did talk about Stan, and the other guys.  But they are sending out 1 minute long videos each week on certain subjects.  There's only so much you can fit into 1 minute.  Wojo opens up talking about consistency within the coaching staff.  He then talks about the 2 guys who have been with him since he took over the program...Chris Carawell and Brad Nelson.  Stan Johnson was not one of those 2 guys.

Who? Is he taking over for Stan????

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2432 on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
Stan retweeted something that Wojo said about Jimmy Butler coming to campus literally 5 minutes before these two tweets. Highly doubt there is an issue there.

But it wouldn't be Scoop if we didn't freak out over everything, so carry on.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2433 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
Who? Is he taking over for Stan????

Haha good catch.  He's actually taking both Stan's and Brett's place.  He's that good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: July 19, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
Pretty sure UW was one of Diener's  finalists, with MU and Utah and maybe St. Louis. UW signed Harris in the spring after losing out on Diener. (MU also recruited Harris).
I believe MU was one of Keaton Nankivil's final three, but he apparently wasn't top 100.

Thanks Pakuni.  Details start to fade away after awhile.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2435 on: July 19, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »

Maybe there will be an upcoming episode focusing on Stan, given how important he's become for the program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2436 on: July 19, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »

He talked specifically about the two assistants that have been at MU with him since the beginning. 

If you look at Stan's tweets, he occasionally makes very coachy like statements.  For instance...

Stan Johnson ‏@MUCoachJohnson  Jul 16 Grand Rapids, MI
Cowards never start. The weak never finish. Winners never quit.

Stan Johnson ‏@MUCoachJohnson  Jul 15 Grapevine, TX
Inorder to stand out you don't have to be different. You have to be outstanding!

Stan Johnson ‏@MUCoachJohnson  Jul 15 Grapevine, TX
If you have a desire to feel rich, just count all the things you have in your life that money can't buy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2437 on: July 19, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »

Stan Johnson ‏@MUCoachJohnson  Jul 16 Grand Rapids, MI
Cowards never start. The weak never finish. Winners never quit.

Wow. Pretty strong condemnation of the 3 B's: Bo, Buzz and Brown!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2438 on: July 19, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
This was all Fing fantastic. Scoop panic at its finest
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2439 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
Also, if you didn't notice yet, Wojo is always wearing the same outfit in each of these videos. 

WojoClones.  It's the out of the box outfit he comes with from the factory/lab. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2440 on: July 19, 2016, 12:42:58 PM »
First, FIFY: It is 26 years, not 35.

Second, we got 3 of the last 4.

Third, look at Sultan's top-100 list. Crushed Bucky. (Having said that, I wish we would have parlayed this into Bucky's consistent success, especially the recent Final Fours. Gotta give credit where credit is due.)

Call me crazy, but I like to accentuate the positive -- especially when the positive is accurate.

I was going since the beginning of Mr Wisconsin basketball. We were only talking about that, Im in agreement that we've crushed it with in state recruiting. Just don't think that getting whomever is the Mr Wisconsin that year should be the main priority.  TJ Bray or vander blue who do you want on MU?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: July 19, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
I was going since the beginning of Mr Wisconsin basketball. We were only talking about that, Im in agreement that we've crushed it with in state recruiting. Just don't think that getting whomever is the Mr Wisconsin that year should be the main priority.  TJ Bray or vander blue who do you want on MU?

Point taken.

Doubly so on Vander vs. Bray!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2442 on: July 19, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »
Theo John's final 6:

Marquette
Minnesota
Cal
Oklahoma
Illinois
Purdue

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2443 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »

I'd take Bray's senior season over Vander's.

I'd also venture to guess that Bray's made more money on basketball than Vander has.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2444 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »
At times, this place reads like a unnatural carnal knowledgeing clown convention.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2445 on: July 19, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
I'd take Bray's senior season over Vander's.

I'd also venture to guess that Bray's made more money on basketball than Vander has.

Yeah but Marquette doesn't get to the E8 with Bray instead of Blue.  Blue in a heartbeat.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2446 on: July 19, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
Has a vague twitter message posted on scoop ever amounted to anything substantial? Honest question
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2447 on: July 19, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2448 on: July 19, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
Theo John's final 6:

Marquette
Minnesota
Cal
Oklahoma
Illinois
Purdue
We can compete against this group.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2449 on: July 19, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
Goal is National Championship

feedback