[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129159 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8150 on: September 09, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
So, if you are in grammar school or high school and live with someone with 2 or co-morbidities, stay home and school virtually. If you are a teacher with 2 or more (or you’re living with someone who fits that description) stay home and teach virtually. Everybody else (vast majority), back in the pool?

Something like that yes.  I think we have learned a lot from Florida, Texas, Arizona.  If you mitigate the spread, through distancing, masking, etc., it looks as though you can keep down hospitalizations and deaths.  If you can simulate that environment in a public school, they should be there in person unless they have family issues like the ones you mention above.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8151 on: September 09, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »

Something like that yes.  I think we have learned a lot from Florida, Texas, Arizona.  If you mitigate the spread, through distancing, masking, etc., it looks as though you can keep down hospitalizations and deaths.  If you can simulate that environment in a public school, they should be there in person unless they have family issues like the ones you mention above.

👏👏 Cheers Fluffy

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8152 on: September 09, 2020, 11:09:24 AM »
Welp ...

President Donald Trump admitted he knew weeks before the first confirmed US coronavirus death that the virus was dangerous, airborne, highly contagious and "more deadly than even your strenuous flus," and that he repeatedly played it down publicly, according to legendary journalist Bob Woodward in his new book "Rage."

"This is deadly stuff," Trump told Woodward on February 7.

In a series of interviews with Woodward, Trump revealed that he had a surprising level of detail about the threat of the virus earlier than previously known. "Pretty amazing," Trump told Woodward, adding that the coronavirus was maybe five times "more deadly" than the flu.

Trump's admissions are in stark contrast to his frequent public comments at the time insisting that the virus was "going to disappear" and "all work out fine."

The book, using Trump's own words, depicts a President who has betrayed the public trust and the most fundamental responsibilities of his office. In "Rage," Trump says the job of a president is "to keep our country safe." But in early February, Trump told Woodward he knew how deadly the virus was, and in March, admitted he kept that knowledge hidden from the public.

"I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8153 on: September 09, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
Welp ...

President Donald Trump admitted he knew weeks before the first confirmed US coronavirus death that the virus was dangerous, airborne, highly contagious and "more deadly than even your strenuous flus," and that he repeatedly played it down publicly, according to legendary journalist Bob Woodward in his new book "Rage."

"This is deadly stuff," Trump told Woodward on February 7.

In a series of interviews with Woodward, Trump revealed that he had a surprising level of detail about the threat of the virus earlier than previously known. "Pretty amazing," Trump told Woodward, adding that the coronavirus was maybe five times "more deadly" than the flu.

Trump's admissions are in stark contrast to his frequent public comments at the time insisting that the virus was "going to disappear" and "all work out fine."

The book, using Trump's own words, depicts a President who has betrayed the public trust and the most fundamental responsibilities of his office. In "Rage," Trump says the job of a president is "to keep our country safe." But in early February, Trump told Woodward he knew how deadly the virus was, and in March, admitted he kept that knowledge hidden from the public.

"I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html

Trump admits President Xi personally told him how dangerous COVID was, and that there is airborne spread. Also, admits he deliberately lied to Americans and downplayed the seriousness to avoid any panics. Knew it was dangerous to young people.

Anyone want to even try to defend him? Trump lied, people died.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #8154 on: September 09, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
It would be ironic if tapes plus Woodward help bring him down. Deja vu.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8155 on: September 09, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
Trump admits President Xi personally told him how dangerous COVID was, and that there is airborne spread. Also, admits he deliberately lied to Americans and downplayed the seriousness to avoid any panics. Knew it was dangerous to young people.

I have been screaming this since March. And I was roundly criticized here for it.

You are correct, but stating it the way you do ("Trump lied, people died") sounds way to glib and jingoistic. People didn't just "die". Trump killed them by his lies and his inaction.

We still do not have a leader in this country. We have a mad king and his cult following who still don't care about people dying.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8156 on: September 09, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
I have been screaming this since March. And I was roundly criticized here for it.

You are correct, but stating it the way you do ("Trump lied, people died") sounds way to glib and jingoistic. People didn't just "die". Trump killed them by his lies and his inaction.

We still do not have a leader in this country. We have a mad king and his cult following who still don't care about people dying.

Boy you guys are really trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here.  A week before the Feb 7th comment to Woodward Trump shut down travel to China, you don’t crap down international travel for something that isn’t serious.

Trump has been widely criticized (rightfully so) for his public messaging early on regarding Covid but when you look at the policies they put into play before this comment and shortly after the administration was obviously taken the virus seriously.

Not sure how this changes that.  Just like the Access Hollywood tape was going to bring the Don down, this wont either. 

Buckle up, should be a fun sprint to the finish here.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8157 on: September 09, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »
In fact in a task force press conference he already said what was leaked in this audio.

I can try and track down the clip later but reporter asked why such optimistic messaging in the face of deadly pandemic.

Replied that’s how he’s always been and didn’t want to create panic.  This will be out of the news cycle by Friday.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8158 on: September 09, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
Boy you guys are really trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here.  A week before the Feb 7th comment to Woodward Trump shut down travel to China, you don’t crap down international travel for something that isn’t serious.

This is false, but when lies and distortions are all you got ... then you lie and distort.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8159 on: September 09, 2020, 12:12:25 PM »
Trump has been widely criticized (rightfully so) for his public messaging early on regarding Covid but when you look at the policies they put into play before this comment and shortly after the administration was obviously taken the virus seriously.

You live in lala land full of revisionist history and scientific illiteracy. It's bizzare reading your posts about the pandemic and current events and trying to come to the same conclusions that you do.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8160 on: September 09, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »

I’m sure plenty will want to defend him, despite more evidence that he has done the indefensible. It is happened before, and it will happen again this time.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #8161 on: September 09, 2020, 12:16:05 PM »
He did not shut down travel to China. He shut down the ability for citizens of certain countries to enter the US. Thousands of people were still able to travel between the two countries.

• All American
« Reply #8162 on: September 09, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
I love the fact that "but he shut down travel to China" is STILL being used as a trump card for how poorly he has handled this from the beginning.  Like, the one thing he may have done right somehow balances out the dozens of things he has done wrong.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:20:06 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8163 on: September 09, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
I think the biggest misstep was his Liberate message to fan the flames of people protesting lockdowns. I think that was the point we were most united in this and then the protests happened which has led to the haphazard approach since.

I don’t disagree with trying to avoid panic, but it was downplayed so much that people thought it was more of a conspiracy.

We were making good progress, but that threw a wrench into it.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8164 on: September 09, 2020, 12:18:44 PM »
This is false, but when lies and distortions are all you got ... then you lie and distort.

What part was false?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8165 on: September 09, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
Obviously shutting down travel from China solved everything.  Duh!   :o

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8166 on: September 09, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
You live in lala land full of revisionist history and scientific illiteracy. It's bizzare reading your posts about the pandemic and current events and trying to come to the same conclusions that you do.

That’s what happens when you live in a one sided echo chamber.  Once another opinion is presented it sounds like a foreign language, I get it.  Not your fault.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8167 on: September 09, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
I think the biggest misstep was his Liberate message to fan the flames of people protesting lockdowns. I think that was the point we were most united in this and then the protests happened which has led to the haphazard approach since.

I don’t disagree with trying to avoid panic, but it was downplayed so much that people thought it was more of a conspiracy.

What panic?
Were there panics in South Korea? Germany? New Zealand? Australia? Canada?
Are we Americans so skittish and dumb that a little honesty about the seriousness of the problem would have led to mass chaos?

• All American
« Reply #8168 on: September 09, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »

Agree completely.  I said this before, but if he would have told people to hold tight for just a few more weeks, and open up more carefully, his re-election would have been guaranteed. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8169 on: September 09, 2020, 12:24:06 PM »
With audio tapes, this calls for his immediate resignation would be so loud and from every direction that he’d have no choice but to step down.

In this unnatural carnal knowledgeed up world, 50 million people are still going to vote for more of this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8170 on: September 09, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »
What part was false?

The part about travel being shut down to China (or from China, which likely is what you meant).
Travel was restricted, not shut down.

And has already been pointed out, this one step does not mitigate the many, many failures.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8171 on: September 09, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »
What panic?
Were there panics in South Korea? Germany? New Zealand? Australia? Canada?
Are we Americans so skittish and dumb that a little honesty about the seriousness of the problem would have led to mass chaos?

No toilet paper for a month might have been a sign of panic.  The panic was real in March very real

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8172 on: September 09, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »
Obviously shutting down travel from China solved everything.  Duh!   :o

Why the constant putting of words in my mouth.  Never said it was the end all be all, just something that was an extreme step in response to a virus that had yet to take an American life if I’m remember the timeline correctly.

It shows they knew behind the scenes they might be up against a really bad situation before the end of January when the travel ban was put in place.  So Trump acknowledging to Woodward on Feb 7th they knew Covid was incredibly serious makes total sense when you look at the timeline of his policies.

I criticized Trumps messaging months ago and agree he should have projected more alarm.  The task force policies didn’t mirror the tone he was projecting on Twitter and in their daily press conferences.

And we had a pretty good debate about that in real time here on scoop on how the policy was sound but the messaging was off coming from the top.  Trump has and will continue to have to own that.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8173 on: September 09, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »
If this was such an earth shattering secret and if we would have only known this is how the president felt back in early February it would have saved 10s of thousands of lives then isn’t Woodward just as at fault by holding onto these tapes for 7 months to only release them right before his book went on sale.

Did Woodward put American lives behind his own greed?  Another example of our broken media.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8174 on: September 09, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »
The part about travel being shut down to China (or from China, which likely is what you meant).
Travel was restricted, not shut down.

And has already been pointed out, this one step does not mitigate the many, many failures.

Never said it made up for any of the mistakes that were made.  It’s evidence that they knew Covid was serious weeks before the Woodward interview.

feedback