[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129161 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6650 on: June 18, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »
Numerous public health leaders have called for more leadership — if not funding and staff — from the federal government to support state and local health departments' contact tracing efforts.

"We have needed a federal response on this from Day 1 and we haven't had one," says El-Sayed. "We need federal funding for contact tracers and we need it now."

Yup. CDC, you there?

I doubt that the CDC has the means (cash) to do this. I think the money would have to come from the Federal gov't.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6651 on: June 18, 2020, 11:39:33 PM »

I doubt that the CDC has the means (cash) to do this. I think the money would have to come from the Federal gov't.

True. They have the expertise, but they would need the green light from POTUS. Still, Redfield ought to be screaming for the resources. And maybe that would get him fired, but at least he’d go down doing the right thing.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6652 on: June 18, 2020, 11:42:13 PM »

True. They have the expertise, but they would need the green light from POTUS. Still, Redfield ought to be screaming for the resources. And maybe that would get him fired, but at least he’d go down doing the right thing.

Well, POTUS has neutered the CDC so I don’t see any hope there. No need for the CDC anyway since Covid barely exists anymore.

shoothoops

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6654 on: June 19, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »
AMC movies:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1273763757592735746?s=19

(Cinemark and Regal also not requiring masks)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:15:30 AM by shoothoops »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6655 on: June 19, 2020, 07:17:42 AM »
Somethings going to happen this summer.  Either I’m wrong and caution is stupid or the medical community is generally right.   

In either case I’m glad I am an observer from New England. 

PS: and by caution I don't mean something extreme like shut-downs or other.  I just mean limited contact, masks, outdoor activities, etc...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:27:42 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6657 on: June 19, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
Somethings going to happen this summer.  Either I’m wrong and caution is stupid or the medical community is generally right.   

In either case I’m glad I am an observer from New England. 

PS: and by caution I don't mean something extreme like shut-downs or other.  I just mean limited contact, masks, outdoor activities, etc...

IMHO, we are already starting to see it happen. Unfortunately, it's a tale to two nations. In one, there will be enforcement of masks, limited contact, perhaps closing of certain 'close-contact' venues like movie theaters and such. In the other, there will be continued talk of a media-inspired overreaction, the 'right' to go without a mask, and rapidly escalating death rates.

Given the split, I think the only way we will see any organized sports will be without fans and in 'bubble' scenarios like the NBA. And even that may prove impossible.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6658 on: June 19, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #6659 on: June 19, 2020, 08:56:25 AM »
Reading those tweets about the Tennessee legislature -just wow! And if you google Tennessee news this morning, it’s all about the abortion bill or the seven companies making the masks that everyone refuses to wear,  so I did not find out if they ever made the Bible the official state book of Tennessee, or officially designate CNN and the Washington Post as fake news.....
Honestly I don’t want to hear a word anymore about the Illinois legislature after reading those threads.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6660 on: June 19, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
Beijing airline departures down 70% over the past three days.

forgetful

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6662 on: June 19, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »

IMHO, we are already starting to see it happen. Unfortunately, it's a tale to two nations. In one, there will be enforcement of masks, limited contact, perhaps closing of certain 'close-contact' venues like movie theaters and such. In the other, there will be continued talk of a media-inspired overreaction, the 'right' to go without a mask, and rapidly escalating death rates.

Given the split, I think the only way we will see any organized sports will be without fans and in 'bubble' scenarios like the NBA. And even that may prove impossible.

The only way it proves impossible is if players refuse to agree to it for some reason. Most major European soccer leagues have restarted just fine and without issue.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6663 on: June 19, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
The only way it proves impossible is if players refuse to agree to it for some reason. Most major European soccer leagues have restarted just fine and without issue.

To be fair, the situation in Europe is far better than it is in the US. We are still in the midst of our first wave. They have largely returned to baseline.

Jockey

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6665 on: June 19, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
To be fair, the situation in Europe is far better than it is in the US. We are still in the midst of our first wave. They have largely returned to baseline.

Affirmative. The UK and France have been steadily declining, and even Spain and Italy have leveled off.

Here in the US, the northeast and parts of the midwest are seeing a nice downward trend, but most everywhere west of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon Line are increasing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6666 on: June 19, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
Stay safe, citizens of Florida.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6667 on: June 19, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »
Disgusting.

But not unexpected.

The Art of the Deal on display.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6668 on: June 19, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »
Is the Coronavirus Death Tally Inflated? Here’s Why Experts Say No

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/19/us/us-coronavirus-covid-death-toll.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

On Sunday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo became the latest in a string of elected officials, including President Trump, to question the death toll from the coronavirus, calling the process of assigning cause of death “fairly random.”

In May, the governor also questioned the use of “probable” deaths in public tallies, noting that New York would continue to keep these deaths from its total counts, even though many states and New York City post them publicly.

But public health experts say the method used to count deaths from a disease like Covid-19 is decades-old and some amount of uncertainty is simply part of the process.

“Everything is so politically charged, people are looking for excuses to question the data,” said Robert Anderson, who runs the mortality statistics branch of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics.

The president and conservative news media have accused states of inflating their counts, even as public health experts have said that undercounting is more likely. Limited awareness and testing during the initial months of the pandemic mean an unknown number of early Covid-19 deaths will never be counted.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6669 on: June 19, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »
“Everything is so politically charged, people are looking for excuses to question the data,” said Robert Anderson, who runs the mortality statistics branch of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics.

Politics 101:  Throw as much uncertainly as possible against facts uncovered by people do who a thing for a living,  knowing full well the truth will be found out at a later date.  However, those truths do not get fully uncovered until said politicians are out of that particular office or they can just shrug it off as the public is focused on the next thing.

In 2-3 years the full truth of this will be well documented.  I fear that the truth will not look good on the politicians.  Good for them they will be onto obfuscating the next set of facts. Sad.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6670 on: June 19, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »

That’s fine, but I was largely speaking to the sequestered nature of soccer restarting. It’s not like they are just playing without fans but otherwise life is normal.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6671 on: June 19, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
"Florida governor blames Covid-19 spike on overwhelmingly Hispanic laborers..."  . ..........(By the way average age of COVID-19 patients in Florida is now 37)

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/desantis-blames-covid-spike-on-overwhelmingly-hispanic-laborers/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons&__twitter_impression=true
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:50:44 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6672 on: June 19, 2020, 05:54:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1274066668390502400?s=19

UCLA football players demanding third party health official at all football related activities to make sure all COVID-19 protocols are followed because they do not trust their coach. They also demand anonymous whistleblower protections.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6673 on: June 19, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »
@NumbersMuncher: Over 20% of Arizona's tests for COVID-19 came back positive today.

In Florida, the number was 10% - they were under 3% a few weeks ago.

New York is down to about 1% and Illinois is down to 3%.

Distancing helps. Masks help. Medical experts know better than politicians.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6674 on: June 19, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »
"Florida governor blames Covid-19 spike on overwhelmingly Hispanic laborers..."  . ..........(By the way average age of COVID-19 patients in Florida is now 37)

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/desantis-blames-covid-spike-on-overwhelmingly-hispanic-laborers/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons&__twitter_impression=true

At least he's not blaming the fully Hispanic laborers.