[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129301 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4825 on: May 04, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
George W. Bush released a nearly three-minute video on Saturday paying tribute to the medical workers who have led the response to the pandemic, and pointedly challenging Americans of all political persuasions to ditch partisan sniping in favor of solidarity.

“In the final analysis, we are not partisan combatants; we are human beings, equally vulnerable and equally wonderful in the sight of God,” he said. “We rise or fall together, and we are determined to rise.”

That seemingly tender message apparently rubbed Trump the wrong way: He complained on Twitter that Bush had been “nowhere to be found” during the president’s recent impeachment trial.

Because as usual, for President Pandemic it's always about me-me-me. Sad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4826 on: May 04, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
Every day I hope and pray the people in this country can’t get any dumber. And every day I’m wrong.

On behalf of your inferiors everywhere, thanks for your prayers that we be delivered from our stupidity. So thoughtful, so kind - just what we hope for from our superiors.

Apologies that despite your efforts we continue to disappoint you. It must make your life very difficult.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4827 on: May 04, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »

George W. Bush released a nearly three-minute video on Saturday paying tribute to the medical workers who have led the response to the pandemic, and pointedly challenging Americans of all political persuasions to ditch partisan sniping in favor of solidarity.

“In the final analysis, we are not partisan combatants; we are human beings, equally vulnerable and equally wonderful in the sight of God,” he said. “We rise or fall together, and we are determined to rise.”

That seemingly tender message apparently rubbed Trump the wrong way: He complained on Twitter that Bush had been “nowhere to be found” during the president’s recent impeachment trial.

Because as usual, for President Pandemic it's always about me-me-me. Sad.

Bush throws Trump a softball - all Trump had to do was retweet and agree - but he is so blinded by his narcissism that he whiffs again. Why would any stable person openly criticize Bush's message?

Bush was far from a perfect president, but he knew how to unify in a crisis and I would trade Trump for him in a New York minute.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:43:24 AM by GooooMarquette »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4828 on: May 04, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »

Bush throws Trump a softball - all Trump had to do was retweet and agree - but he is so blinded by his narcissism that he whiffs again. Why would any stable person openly criticize Bush's message?

Bush was far from a perfect president, but he knew how to unify in a crisis and I would trade him for Trump in a New York minute.

W's eulogy of his father was a very moving, human moment. He certainly can turn on the charm.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4829 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:54 AM »
Bush was far from a perfect president, but he knew how to unify in a crisis and I would trade Trump for him in a New York minute.
And unlike rocket sturgeon who thinks Jared is better prepared than an ex-VP to lead the government's response, as much as I loath him I would trade Jared for Cheney in a heartbeat.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4830 on: May 04, 2020, 10:50:42 AM »
Well this isn't good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6926-mayhhsbriefing/af7319f4a55fd0ce5dc9/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

"As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

“There remains a large number of counties whose burden continues to grow,” the C.D.C. warned.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways with cases rising so rapidly that the health care system is overloaded.

“While mitigation didn’t fail, I think it’s fair to say that it didn’t work as well as we expected” Scott Gottlieb, Mr. Trump’s former commissioner of food and drugs, said Sunday on the CBS program Face the Nation. “We expected that we would start seeing more significant declines in new cases and deaths around the nation at this point. And we’re just not seeing that.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4831 on: May 04, 2020, 11:02:21 AM »
Well this isn't good.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6926-mayhhsbriefing/af7319f4a55fd0ce5dc9/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

"As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

“There remains a large number of counties whose burden continues to grow,” the C.D.C. warned.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways with cases rising so rapidly that the health care system is overloaded.

“While mitigation didn’t fail, I think it’s fair to say that it didn’t work as well as we expected” Scott Gottlieb, Mr. Trump’s former commissioner of food and drugs, said Sunday on the CBS program Face the Nation. “We expected that we would start seeing more significant declines in new cases and deaths around the nation at this point. And we’re just not seeing that.”

Yeah, I just saw this. Scary times.

We obviously have to re-open the economy eventually. This is brutal.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4832 on: May 04, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
Well this isn't good.

Yikes. We did a good job of buying time, but we didn’t do enough with that time. I have a hard time seeing people going into “Safer at home” arrangements again. I think people are close to or at their end of staying at home mentally.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4833 on: May 04, 2020, 11:05:20 AM »
W's eulogy of his father was a very moving, human moment. He certainly can turn on the charm.

He doesn't have to turn it on, hes always been charming.  Politics and presidency aside, hes always been an enjoyable and charismatic person to be around.  Michelle Obama loves him, that speaks volumes.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4834 on: May 04, 2020, 11:09:39 AM »
Yikes. We did a good job of buying time, but we didn’t do enough with that time. I have a hard time seeing people going into “Safer at home” arrangements again. I think people are close to or at their end of staying at home mentally.

Agree on both points, but the first one angers me so much.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4835 on: May 04, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »
He doesn't have to turn it on, hes always been charming.  Politics and presidency aside, hes always been an enjoyable and charismatic person to be around.  Michelle Obama loves him, that speaks volumes.

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #4836 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:07 AM »

Yeah there are no good alternatives for the next couple of months.  Even if the economy "opens up," how many people are going to feel comfortable with that?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4837 on: May 04, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »

Yeah there are no good alternatives for the next couple of months.  Even if the economy "opens up," how many people are going to feel comfortable with that?

It is gonna be interesting to see what transpires, that's for sure.

It's really difficult for me to imagine another major lockdown -- even if we end up actually having deadlier months than we just experienced in April, when a death toll the equivalent of 9/11 was happening every day or two.

I hope that, at the very least, the stay-at-home orders so far have made it more likely that hospitals will be able to treat everybody going forward. I also like to think that we as a nation have learned a lot about being ready for the supplies and other things needed to deal with a pandemic.

Trying to find some positives out of all of this, as difficult as it may be.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4838 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:05 AM »

It’s all Bud Selig’s fault.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4839 on: May 04, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »
Well this isn't good.

LIBERATE!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4840 on: May 04, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
On behalf of your inferiors everywhere, thanks for your prayers that we be delivered from our stupidity. So thoughtful, so kind - just what we hope for from our superiors.

Apologies that despite your efforts we continue to disappoint you. It must make your life very difficult.

You’ve gotten super-sensitive lately.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4841 on: May 04, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »
It is gonna be interesting to see what transpires, that's for sure.

It's really difficult for me to imagine another major lockdown -- even if we end up actually having deadlier months than we just experienced in April, when a death toll the equivalent of 9/11 was happening every day or two.

I hope that, at the very least, the stay-at-home orders so far have made it more likely that hospitals will be able to treat everybody going forward. I also like to think that we as a nation have learned a lot about being ready for the supplies and other things needed to deal with a pandemic.

Trying to find some positives out of all of this, as difficult as it may be.

The one thing i keep thinking is we have increased testing which has had a big impact on the overall numbers.  The % of those infected has not really changed.  If we were still testing what we did a month ago we would be seeing a decline in the number of cases.

That said we are still not in great shape and not close to ready to open up. The best hope is we can open up with limitations and people act in a smart way

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4842 on: May 04, 2020, 11:55:39 AM »
You’ve gotten super-sensitive lately.

Thanks, Jockey!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4843 on: May 04, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »

Agreed, whether you like his politics or not, is one thing. But he is a genuinely enjoyable and kind individual.

If these estimates turn out to be accurate, I can't help but think we handled this the worst way possible. Shut down and hurt the economy, but don't do enough to prepare for the next wave, and don't stay closed, or enforce religiously enough, to end the spread. Then just open back up and accept the dire consequences.

You have to pick one option or the other and commit to it, waffling back and forth is likely the worst situation.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4844 on: May 04, 2020, 12:38:56 PM »

It really is.  I think a lot of people don't understand that, "we think we can safely begin 'reopening' the economy" actually means, "we've got unused capacity in our ICUs".  The coming increase in cases is, sadly, "a feature, not a bug."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #4845 on: May 04, 2020, 12:46:43 PM »
If these estimates turn out to be accurate, I can't help but think we handled this the worst way possible. Shut down and hurt the economy, but don't do enough to prepare for the next wave, and don't stay closed, or enforce religiously enough, to end the spread. Then just open back up and accept the dire consequences.

Exactly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4846 on: May 04, 2020, 01:02:28 PM »

You have to pick one option or the other and commit to it, waffling back and forth is likely the worst situation.

Agreed. IMHO, the initial "lockdown" had way too many exceptions (liquor stores?!?), too many states that didn't participate or jumped on board too late, and too many that opened too soon. It should have been prompt, more complete, nationwide, and with opening after states or regions met the criteria for reopening set forth in the three phase plan.

No half measures....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:04:16 PM by GooooMarquette »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4847 on: May 04, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »
Yes, agree. I've said it multiple times, the half-assed hodge-podge inconsistent response leads me to believe there is only going to be a long rolling peak which will now be added to by a second wave. Absolutely incompetent leadership at the top.

The only hope is we find effective treatments and soon.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4848 on: May 04, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
Agreed. IMHO, the initial "lockdown" had way too many exceptions (liquor stores?!?), too many states that didn't participate or jumped on board too late, and too many that opened too soon. It should have been prompt, more complete, nationwide, and with opening after states or regions met the criteria for reopening set forth in the three phase plan.

No half measures....

What's wrong with liquor stores? In some areas that liquor store is the primary grocery store. I feel like there's a lot of better things to get frustrated about than those
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4849 on: May 04, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
Exactly.

Yes and no.  We'll have to wait and see.  When things closed down, the idea -- or at least the idea that was widely explained -- was that we wanted to slow the rate of infection so that the hospitals would not get overwhelmed.  In most areas, that happened.  While people obviously hoped for a vaccine or cure, I don't think anybody reasonably believed that would happen in the near future.  But cases slowed down so much that in many areas, hospitals were well below capacity.

But, I think that the dramatic actions were necessary at the time.  They slowed things down and provided a lot of information.  We learned that if we slow things down to the extent that we did, we can slow the spread pretty significantly.  Some would argue that we slowed it "too much."  Now, what I think we're about to find out is how this thing spreads with more limited restrictions, but still generally speaking, limitations on mass gatherings.  People back to work and shopping with the majority of people using far better distancing and hygiene than before all of this started.  We'll find out whether that is the appropriate level of activity that will keep the spread at a level that our healthcare system can handle.

I do think that a lot of things have happened in the past six weeks that put us in a much better position than we were then.  Unfortunately, like everyone else, I wish we had a better handle on testing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.