[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129300 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4600 on: April 23, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
Doctors rethinking use of ventilators with COVID.  They are valuable tools, but may be causing problems, too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ventilators-specia-idUSKCN2251PE
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4601 on: April 23, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »
Doctors rethinking use of ventilators with COVID.  They are valuable tools, but may be causing problems, too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ventilators-specia-idUSKCN2251PE

Yep - this has been discussed for a week or two now. This illness is unique enough that it is challenging even the wisest and most experienced minds in medicine.

Just another reason why we don’t want to flood the hospitals all at once. The longer we can string this out, the more time it gives docs to figure out the best treatment strategies...and hopefully decrease the mortality rate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4602 on: April 23, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
And another reason to never stop sciencing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4603 on: April 23, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
My wife went to Trader Joe's and waited in the spaced line for 30 minutes.  Everyone else as  wearing masks as requested by our Governor except a 60 year old couple.  The manager went inside and gave them a mask each and they said they yelled and screamed at him.  Threatened to sue.  Their rights blah, blah.  Oh yeah, and supposedly had a medical condition.  Everyone in line just groaned so my wife started to fake cough just to freak the screamers out which they did.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4604 on: April 23, 2020, 08:52:54 PM »
My wife went to Trader Joe's and waited in the spaced line for 30 minutes.  Everyone else as  wearing masks as requested by our Governor except a 60 year old couple.  The manager went inside and gave them a mask each and they said they yelled and screamed at him.  Threatened to sue.  Their rights blah, blah.  Oh yeah, and supposedly had a medical condition.  Everyone in line just groaned so my wife started to fake cough just to freak the screamers out which they did.

Good for her. Nut jobs deserve what they get
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4605 on: April 23, 2020, 10:45:30 PM »

Yep - this has been discussed for a week or two now. This illness is unique enough that it is challenging even the wisest and most experienced minds in medicine.

Just another reason why we don’t want to flood the hospitals all at once. The longer we can string this out, the more time it gives docs to figure out the best treatment strategies...and hopefully decrease the mortality rate.

What is the range of estimates re mortality rates?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4606 on: April 23, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
I think he wants to be on the record both ways. If states open up and things go well, he can take credit. If states open up and things go poorly, he can throw the governors under the bus.

Yep

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4607 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:31 PM »
Here is a well-done article on the COVID-19 deaths that came out of the Indiana HS basketball tournament games played March 6.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/04/18/coronavirus-indiana-lawrence-central-basketball-sectional-10/5145870002/?fbclid=IwAR01APIY3yli0izdZyJ85Y0pLhgMUFfDVNxN7SmZFzKbYhThARNXQByH91U

It underscores how sporting events, concerts and the like are breeding grounds for this kind of thing -- and how just because things might "seem fine," it might not mean it's a great idea to stage these events any time soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4608 on: April 23, 2020, 11:52:16 PM »

All over the map. Initially I saw estimates of 2-3%, but with suspicion growing that there are more asymptomatic cases than previously believed, there is thinking that it might be around 1%.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4609 on: April 24, 2020, 12:14:14 AM »

I commented on this a page or so ago. Based on an antibody test in NY, looks like 0.8-1% Maybe a hair or so higher depending on how deaths are being determined.

These values are in line with those out of SK and cruise ships.

Also could tilt a little higher in countries with more elderly (see Italy), or lower in countries with young populations. The latter could be why Africa may have not been as hard as originally expected. Very young population.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4611 on: April 24, 2020, 12:44:22 AM »
Should I inject Lysol, Chlorox, or a combination thereof?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4612 on: April 24, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »
Sun-infused Clorox.  Or tanning booths.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:24:59 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4615 on: April 24, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »
Should I inject Lysol, Chlorox, or a combination thereof?

You can just drink it. Once it eats through your throat and stomach lining, it will mix with your blood and kill the virus.

Only downside I see is that you’ll be dead before the virus is killed, but we can live with that side effect.

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4617 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4618 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:03 AM »
Yes, it is good news, I hope this works (I also hope all the other treatments work, the more effective medicines we have treating different aspects of this virus the better).

It still has to go through Phase 3 trial, however. The first results were based on only 12 non-randomized patients.  Let's hope it can prove equally effective in a clinical trial.

The other question I have is, how scalable is this (bone marrow aspirate) technique?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4619 on: April 24, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »
In case you haven't seen this good news:

https://www.businessnewsaus.com.au/articles/mesoblast-treatment-achieves--remarkable--results-for-critical-covid-19-patients.html

Not sure it we have folks knowledgeable on this here, but they got the stem cells from bone marrow transplants. From my knowledge, that is an incredibly painful process. Is this something that can be replicated without donors? How many people could be treated from one donation?

But yes, it is encouraging.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #4620 on: April 24, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
I just read the English translation on Tripadvisor’s  Italy forum of an article about Patient#1 in Bologna. She entered the hospital February 28, has been healed since March 10, and is still testing positive for the virus ( at least as of April 16).

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4621 on: April 24, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »
I just read the English translation on Tripadvisor’s  Italy forum of an article about Patient#1 in Bologna. She entered the hospital February 28, has been healed since March 10, and is still testing positive for the virus ( at least as of April 16).

I think the post just covered this below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/researchers-found-coronavirus-patients-eyes-days-after-it-left-her-nose/

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #4622 on: April 24, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
MESO is up 130% on the NASDAQ as of this typing.  Yowza!

I bought 400 more shares pre-market at cost average of $13.75.  Rocketed to $20.  NASDAQ halted trading due to so much volume.  I put sell stop order in on those shares at 15.50.  Didn't expect it to get taken out, but, it did.  Still a nice win.  Held on to all the shares I bought 4 weeks ago at price of $6.15. 

My understanding is that MESO can scale up their treatment, AND if continues to be successful with a larger number of patients, it will absolutely allow for us to return to "normal" more quickly as we won't near the risk of death - and new data from New York suggests mortality rate is only .7% as is.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4623 on: April 24, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »
I bought 400 more shares pre-market at cost average of $13.75.  Rocketed to $20.  NASDAQ halted trading due to so much volume.  I put sell stop order in on those shares at 15.50.  Didn't expect it to get taken out, but, it did.  Still a nice win.  Held on to all the shares I bought 4 weeks ago at price of $6.15. 

My understanding is that MESO can scale up their treatment, AND if continues to be successful with a larger number of patients, it will absolutely allow for us to return to "normal" more quickly as we won't near the risk of death - and new data from New York suggests mortality rate is only .7% as is.

Not too shabby of an investment.  Don't know anything about this treatment but would be fantastic if it is scalable.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4624 on: April 24, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »

Congrats, close to a 3-bagger in a month is sweet.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.