[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't count us out of the Diamond Stone sweepstakes  (Read 41653 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Don't count us out of the Diamond Stone sweepstakes
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
Christ, I am so tired of debating UW's academic standards. Congratulations, UW is above average. Now stop pretending they're on the same level as Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, or other truly elite institutions.

+1.  UW is #47 in US News' rankings and MU is #76; a pretty narrow gap in the grand scheme of things.  If I have to listen to one more Madison schmuck talk about how academic standards at UW are materially higher at UW, I may ring their neck.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »
Larger student body/alumni = more buttheads to crow about UW standards

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »
+1.  UW is #47 in US News' rankings and MU is #76; a pretty narrow gap in the grand scheme of things.  If I have to listen to one more Madison schmuck talk about how academic standards at UW are materially higher at UW, I may ring their neck.
At the undergrad level, there is very little difference.  As a research school with huge $$$ backing, yeah post grad goes to the state school.  In the meantime, Gov. Walker is suggesting that some of these high paid folks on that side might actually try teaching.    ;)

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »
Apparently the ACT has changed its scoring since I took it.  Does anyone have any idea what those numbers relate to on the old test with the high score of 36?

Pretty sure it's the combined score of the 4 test areas. Meaning, if you have a 3.55 GPA you can get a 9 on the ACT. You have a 2.0 you need t

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2015, 07:44:18 AM »

All I did was cite two recent sources about UW's approach to admissions of athletes.  Those articles would seem to be relevant to the discussion of what might happen should Stone not be accepted at Wisconsin.

I made no comment on the general quality of the universities or their general admissions policies.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:27 AM »
All I did was cite two recent sources about UW's approach to admissions of athletes.  Those articles would seem to be relevant to the discussion of what might happen should Stone not be accepted at Wisconsin.

I made no comment on the general quality of the universities or their general admissions policies.

Ron Dayne literally can't read.  He had no problem getting into school, and had no problem remaining eligible at UW.

John Clay was academically ineligible his senior year at Racine Horlick High School (not exactly the toughest academic institution in the world).  He had no trouble getting into UW, and he was an Honor Student at the almighty UW.

If a top athlete wants to be at UW, they will find a way to make it happen, despite pretending that they don't bend their incredibly difficult academic requirements.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
Ron Dayne literally can't read.  He had no problem getting into school, and had no problem remaining eligible at UW.

John Clay was academically ineligible his senior year at Racine Horlick High School (not exactly the toughest academic institution in the world).  He had no trouble getting into UW, and he was an Honor Student at the almighty UW.

If a top athlete wants to be at UW, they will find a way to make it happen, despite pretending that they don't bend their incredibly difficult academic requirements.

This

There have been some intellectual gems over the years.  Certainly UW-madison is a very good school, many of their athletes are proficient on and off the court, but the revisionism over there is rather funny. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:20 AM »

Not to be offensive, but those articles don't say anything other than people think Madison's standards for athletes are higher.  Madison's standards are no different than Marquette's.  Why students get accepted to one school versus another has to do with the ambiguity of NCAA rules and compliance and what risks the university wants to take with the individual students.

If Stone doesn't get into Wisconsin because of academics it's because he either didn't achieve the NCAA minimums required or because admissions and Bo Ryan decided he wasn't worth the risk.  Full stop.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »
Brent Moss on line one...

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »

John Clay was academically ineligible his senior year at Racine Horlick High School (not exactly the toughest academic institution in the world).  He had no trouble getting into UW, and he was an Honor Student at the almighty UW.

John Clay played his senior season lol & didn't even go to Horlick. That would be Jamil Wilson.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:42:31 AM by WarriorPride68 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »

John Clay played his senior season lol & didn't even go to Horlick. That would be Jamil Wilson.

IIRC, he was ineligible to play his freshman year at UW and was forced to reshirt.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »
Brent Moss on line one...

Rashard Griffith on line two.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
IIRC, he was ineligible to play his freshman year at UW and was forced to reshirt.

+1

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
Not to be offensive, but those articles don't say anything other than people think Madison's standards for athletes are higher.  Madison's standards are no different than Marquette's.  Why students get accepted to one school versus another has to do with the ambiguity of NCAA rules and compliance and what risks the university wants to take with the individual students.

If Stone doesn't get into Wisconsin because of academics it's because he either didn't achieve the NCAA minimums required or because admissions and Bo Ryan decided he wasn't worth the risk.  Full stop.

Correct. The NCAA minimums are standardized, but every school interprets the risk a little differently.

I don't think UW or MU are some bastions of higher learning. But, neither is the biggest risk taker, either.

For a guy like Stone, it's likely that passing the minimums will be good enough for UW or MU... he seems to be worth the risk. He's talented, and doesn't seem to be a knucklehead/troublemaker (I could be wrong, I don't know him personally).

If Diamond were the 150th ranked recruit, and had a history of run-ins with law enforcement, then he'd likely be considered "too risky".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
What about a year in a Prep School to pull up his grades? Oversea pro-play?
Then he is a year further away from the NBA.

Remember he is projected to be a 2016 lottery pick.  So he just looking for a landing spot for next season to mark his time before he gets paid.

Would he still be a year from the NBA? I thought you just had to be the age your graduating class would be 1 year after graduating.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »
I think he would have to go to Juco (or overseas) to be eligible after one year.  Prep school just pushes his HS graduation out a year.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »

Second hand, but FWIW, is that UW leadership is not budging and Bo is doing everything he can to get Diamond in, but for now Chancellor is saying:

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
You also have to take into consideration what he will do to your APR. If he is truly going to be one and done, he probably won't stay around after basketball season to get ready for the draft.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »
Second hand, but FWIW, is that UW leadership is not budging and Bo is doing everything he can to get Diamond in, but for now Chancellor is saying:

This is exactly what I am hearing BTW.  You guys can bring up all the past players you want, but I have been told that he wants UW but that UW won't admit him.  If he ends up at a place like UConn, he will have met NCAA standards but not UW's.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »

Have heard something similar, but they will find a way.  They always do.  Maybe his cousin who is going to ND next year has to take the ACT for him, but they'll make it work.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
Yea, Breadtree pretty much nails it.  UW seems to have a stricter admissions line then they have in the past.   Anderson left because of it.  

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
If Wisconsin won't offer Diamond due to academics, my guess is that MU won't either.

Who knows?  He's played high school basketball, and that's apparently the extent of one alumnus' qualifications.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:46:12 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
Yea, Breadtree pretty much nails it.  UW seems to have a stricter admissions line then they have in the past.   Anderson left because of it.  

Don't fear, Badger fan.  They'll find a way to get your guy into school.  Just a matter of time.  Respect the process and let it play out, they always find a way.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
Badger troll agreeing with another Badger troll? I never would have guessed it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
All I did was cite two recent sources about UW's approach to admissions of athletes.  Those articles would seem to be relevant to the discussion of what might happen should Stone not be accepted at Wisconsin.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, you paid the toll for trolls from the past who made academic standards comparisons for the two schools a hot button here.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:50:15 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.