[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oops / SJU  (Read 39132 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Oops / SJU
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:05 PM »
The only reason Joey doesn’t come down with that rebound is that he got hit from the side.  After the Ponds ‘and one’ play, I’m not surprised.  I was sitting with a Badger fan at the game (don’t ask) who turned to me after the Ponds play and said, “I thought this was Marquette’s arena.”  That says it all.  Plenty of blame to go around, but this was about as badly one-sided as we’ve seen a game this year.

Nah. I didn't like that they gave Ponds continuation when they didn't give similar to Markus earlier in the game, and I was surprised (to the point of shouting at the TV) that they didn't call traveling on Ponds when he slid with the ball on the floor ... but refs didn't lose this one.

We had plenty of chances. There were some bad calls, but several Johnnies were in foul trouble, we got into the bonus before they did in the second half, etc. And I agree with TAMU that few if any refs would have called that foul on a rebound scramble.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2019, 11:42:50 PM »
Right...nowhere in my post did I say the refs lost this one, but there were two egregiously bad calls prior to that last possession, and the missed foul call at the end changed  possession, so it should be called. Some nights players overcome those calls - tonight they did not.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2019, 11:45:37 PM »
Jamie Luckie gave the continuation (and I'm still not sure where the foul was) and is generally an awful referee

That said, MU's execution cost them tonight. Not the whistles.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2019, 11:52:08 PM »
If cain gets no pt in that kind of game he might as well try and transfer out next year and i wouldnt blame him.   Unless hes got some academic / punishment issue going on i think he needs to get out there or its a waste of a scholarship.   Give the kid a couple poss. to make an impact

Norm

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »
8 - Wojo has certainly proven himself to any doubters, myself included, this year. There were some things down the stretch that I didn't really understand, but after he found a way to claw us back into the game after a 15 point deficit, it's hard to be too critical. I do think more BB or JC late in the game instead of one of Theo or Sacar could have helped, given their FT issues. And for the life of me, I just don't understand all the Jamal DNPs lately. But those are nitpicky things in a season full of great moments. I think he'll find the right way to use this as a motivator for Nova.

Yeah, have to give credit to Wojo this year, but I do not get Cain's 4 DNPs already in Big East play, nor Heldt's 4 DNPs too. Cain has played 7 minutes in the last 6 games combined. He has two fewer rebounds in BE play than Bailey who has played 60 more minutes than he has. Couldn't Cain's length have helped for at least a couple minutes tonight on the D end?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2019, 03:30:04 AM »
Not going to lose the plot over this one, but it is too bad that we came out flat against a team we've already seen. From what I read, no real adjustments to the scheme to counter what they did to Markus in NY, so SJU did the same thing again with the same success.

Let's hope we don't run into Indiana in the tourney.

That said, if we take care of business against 'Nova this will still be a good 4 game stretch and we can still stay on our 3 line with a shot at a 2.

Lose against Nova and we're probably talking the 4 or 5 line, which was pretty on par with most people's preseason expectations. Frankly I'm pretty agnostic between a 3 and a 6 seed - all give about the same shot at the second weekend and each is as likely to draw easy/tough match ups.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Oops
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2019, 05:25:13 AM »
Maybe they didnt. That said, a ton of wide open 3s missed tonight. The looks were there. If sam makes 1 more of his first 8 (all pretty wide) it is a win. Sometimes the shots dont fall. Still were there at the end.

Sacars wide open uncontested layup?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:56 AM »
19-4.   Life will go on.  Clearly, there were things MU didn't do.  Clearly there are things SJU does that frustrate Marquette.   Learn, move on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2019, 06:00:34 AM »
19-4.   Life will go on.  Clearly, there were things MU didn't do.  Clearly there are things SJU does that frustrate Marquette.   Learn, move on.

Easier said then done, this one is going to leave me salty for quite awhile...Saturday doesn't have the juice it would have now for one thing. For another MSU keeps losing and had MU kept winning they may have had a very realistic shot at a #2 seed in the NCAA's..who knows now. Dammit this one stings...did not see this one coming...at all.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »
All losses leave you salty.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2019, 06:34:57 AM »
Biggest issue for this game all singular plays aside is Mu did not cone out with the toughness or intensity needed to win a game agaunst a big time opponent.
15 minutes in we gained it but the deficit proved too much.

Show up ready to go to war on Saturday n i like our chances
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2019, 07:06:54 AM »
All losses leave you salty.

You're right...and they should leave EVERYONE salty...Unfortunately, most of you wake up today and just carry on with that "oh well" attitude.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »
19-4.  Life to live today.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2019, 07:21:55 AM »
Was at the game. Losses happen but boy oh boy did we have our chances. There were quite a few missed lay ups, missed free throws and markus’s last shot... why didn’t he jump into his defender. Oye.

But hey, 8-2. Let’s beat nova hopefully.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2019, 07:41:56 AM »
You're right...and they should leave EVERYONE salty...Unfortunately, most of you wake up today and just carry on with that "oh well" attitude.
Because if all the fans are pissed off all day then MU has a better chance of winning on Saturday.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2019, 07:44:43 AM »
Was at the game. Losses happen but boy oh boy did we have our chances. There were quite a few missed lay ups, missed free throws and markus’s last shot... why didn’t he jump into his defender. Oye.

But hey, 8-2. Let’s beat nova hopefully.
I may be in the minority, but I don't think Markus would have drawn the foul if he would have jumped into him. Just the way the night was going. All is well if we beat Nova on Saturday. If we do, the conference championship is still within reach.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »
68% from the freethrow line.. not good

fjm

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »
1 other thing, our D was great. O was terrible. We were down 15 at one point in the second half. Got as close as you can get without winning. Can’t complain about the effort in the comeback. But woof, that free throw shooting.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
That was our best bad game of the year. Morrow played solid...maybe JC...nobody else really did. To have a chance to win, to me, was remarkable.

Markus’ bad games are getting WAY better and I think that’s Wojo.

Looking forward to Saturday 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2019, 07:55:30 AM »
That was our best bad game of the year. Morrow played solid...maybe JC...nobody else really did. To have a chance to win, to me, was remarkable.

Agreed. We had no business even being close enough to win.

JC was great I thought!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:19 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
68% from the freethrow line.. not good

Eh. If we shot our average it would have only meant 2 more points. If we shot our average from 3 it would have meant 6 more points. If we held them to their average 2P FG% it would have meant 4 less points for them. Turnovers weren't bad but I think they scored 19 points off of them, so they scored 2 points per turnover. 1 less turnover and we win the game. FTs were a factor but they were very low on the list of reasons why we lost the game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »

Gotta love how this team never says die. Most here were ready to throw in the towel when we were down 15 with about 13 minutes left. Team scratched and clawed all the way back to a lead. Just sad they couldn't hold it. I thought Wojo did great devising the comeback until that last defensive play on Ponds. Running two guys at him had success earlier. Needed to not leave Sacar on an island there. Maybe if we were up two and the worst that could happen on a drive was a tie, but not when a Ponds layup gives them the lead.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »
Gotta love how this team never says die. Most here were ready to throw in the towel when we were down 15 with about 13 minutes left. Team scratched and clawed all the way back to a lead. Just sad they couldn't hold it. I thought Wojo did great devising the comeback until that last defensive play on Ponds. Running two guys at him had success earlier. Needed to not leave Sacar on an island there. Maybe if we were up two and the worst that could happen on a drive was a tie, but not when a Ponds layup gives them the lead.

Any thought that the double was going to come, but Sacar falling down opened such a huge lane that the help didn't have time?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2019, 08:16:23 AM »

Any thought that the double was going to come, but Sacar falling down opened such a huge lane that the help didn't have time?

I think this may be it.  I was quite surprised that Ponds started as soon as he did, they left us a lot of time to get a decent look.  StJ strikes me as the kind of team that would wait too long and take a tough contested buzzer beater, credit to Mullin (or whichever assistant is really the HC).

feedback