collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 NFL Draft Coming To Chicago?  (Read 1847 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
2015 NFL Draft Coming To Chicago?
« on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
NFL eyes Chicago Theatre for draft

July 7, 2014

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140707/BLOGS04/140709911/nfl-eyes-chicago-theatre-for-draft?r=7666I3085245D7R

The Loop is slated to be the center of the pro football world if Chicago wins its bid to host the NFL draft next year.

League officials were in town late last month and met with city and Chicago Theatre officials about staging the 2015 NFL Draft at the historic State Street venue, which would be the likely location for the annual event if it is held in Chicago, according to a source close to the search process.

The roughly 3,500-seat venue offers the best choice, because there are convention events going on around a similar venue -- the roughly 4,500-seat Arie Crown Theater -- during the late April and early May weekends under consideration.

Aside from the Chicago Theatre, other places in the Loop, such as Daley Plaza, likely would be a site to stage a fan festival, according to the source. Ancillary events could be held at Soldier Field or possibly in Millennium Park or Grant Park.

Chicago Theatre representatives didn't respond to a request for comment.

The NFL draft is on the move next year due to scheduling conflicts after being held at Radio City Music Hall in New York since 2006 and in the Big Apple every year since 1965.

New York, Chicago and Los Angeles have been reported as the league's primary targets to host the draft next year.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement that the league is evaluating "multiple sites in a number of cities" and that officials hope to determine the location this summer.

CROWDED AT MCCORMICK PLACE

The two extended weekends in play for the 2015 event are April 22-25 and April 29-May 2. The NFL is considering extending the draft to four days from three.

McCormick Place would offer the league the most space, rivaling the roughly 6,000 seats at Radio City Music Hall, but the Chicago convention center will be hosting the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo and the Automechanika automotive trade show during the earlier dates in the venue's north and west buildings, respectively.

During the latter dates, the city is under contract to host a manufacturing conference at the McCormick Place Hyatt Regency, which suggests that the convention center could be crowded then, too.

That leaves the Chicago Theatre, which is owned by Radio City parent company Madison Square Garden, and the Loop as the best locations, especially since the city could point to its work with the 2013 Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament, which included ample downtown signage and a fan event at Daley Plaza.

Chicago Sports Commission Interim Executive Director Kara Bachman declined to comment on potential host sites.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel has recently pushed for the NFL to bring the draft to Chicago in hopes of boosting tourism and putting Chicago on a big stage with the increasingly popular NFL showcase.

This year's draft saw a record 45.7 million TV viewers over the three draft days on ESPN, ESPN2 and the NFL Network, according to Nielsen, topping the previous record of 45.4 million viewers in 2010.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: 2015 NFL Draft Coming To Chicago?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
The NFL is a hungry greedy beast.

Can't blame the NFL I guess, but America's appetite for football isn't unlimited, is it?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
The NFL is a hungry greedy beast.

Can't blame the NFL I guess, but America's appetite for football isn't unlimited, is it?

Not yet, that's why that tv bill keeps going up.  Did you hear the rates CBS is charging for a 30 second spot for Thursday night football?  $600K per 30 seconds. They are getting it, too.  Up up up.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Chicago Theatre would be a terrible venue for the draft if you are going in person.

It's fine in NYC, keep it there.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
Not yet, that's why that tv bill keeps going up.  Did you hear the rates CBS is charging for a 30 second spot for Thursday night football?  $600K per 30 seconds. They are getting it, too.  Up up up.

I don't want to use the cliche of "bubble", but at some point football is going to be overvalued, and there will be a market correction. I don't know that it will be a dramatic crash, but this isn't sustainable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:12:27 AM »
I don't want to use the cliche of "bubble", but at some point football is going to be overvalued, and there will be a market correction. I don't know that it will be a dramatic crash, but this isn't sustainable.

Nothing is sustainable forever...look at Rome or look at this country, in particular.  That said, it's a long way off.  Just wait until the next NFL TV deal is announced.  Lots and lots of zeroes.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »
Nothing is sustainable forever...look at Rome or look at this country, in particular.  That said, it's a long way off.  Just wait until the next NFL TV deal is announced.  Lots and lots of zeroes.

I dunno man, maybe I'm just a hipster or something, but I just don't need anymore NFL in my life.

I'll always watch my preferred team, but I'm not going to watch 4 games per week. I just can't do it.

I have to think that the saturation point is coming soon.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
Nothing is sustainable forever...look at Rome or look at this country, in particular. 

I remember reading about Rome but what year did the USA fall and what were the salient factors in her collapse? I must have been on vacation.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »
I remember reading about Rome but what year did the USA fall and what were the salient factors in her collapse? I must have been on vacation.

Same here. 

The empire may have official "died" in 476 after 1,200 years of existence and if you count Eastern Empire add another 1,015 years beyond that.  And if you think like me Rome never ended, since they left us language of multiple countries, an alphabet, political structure, engineering & construction techniques (ever wonder where the D in reference to nails came from? Concrete.) as well as the RC Church structure among other things still in use and in fashion today.   

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »
It's simple supply/demand more than anything.

Football benefits from limited supply of inventory. That doesn't fuel 100% of its demand, but certainly helps.

It's a nearly perfect sport to wager on and play fantasy sports to. As long as those markets exist, so will a large portion of demand.

Issue with the NFL is, for lack of a better term, over exposing product that leads to poorer quality. Thursday Night Football sucks, the quality of those games is terrible. Follow the $, and that's why it's here to stay.

Eventually, Sunday kick times are going to be spread out, that's going to happen. The Charger/Raider game last year late at night, and the 8:30 am kick for Lions/Falcons this year will help the NFL's cause.