Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?  (Read 31101 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Chances NCAA Tournament Gets Cancelled?
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2020, 09:28:34 PM »
Dan Wetzel
@DanWetzel
·
14m
From the NCAA on if the NCAA Tourney is cancelled: “The NCAA has a business-interruption insurance policy and reserves that would partially cover losses.” Can assure no one in college athletics wants this cancelled.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »
Since everyone thinks I'm being over the top with this...Now THIS I 100% agree with. Why?? because someone(a player) tested positive for it. This makes all the sense . the world to do under those circumstances. That's why I'm a little perplexed by the decision to possibly cancel the tournament. If a player or Coach or someone associated with it has or does test positive, then 100% agree with the decision. But right now we are "well but what if". NO ONE that has already tested positive for Corona would be in any of the arenas, I can guarantee you that. It's being cautious, but it's also a lot of running scared right now, NO ONE can deny that.

This will happen like, tomorrow. No need to wait.  No reason to put kids in harm's way for this thing.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2020, 09:35:52 PM »
Hoiberg to the hospital.

Seriously. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »
How far does this go??? Nba mlb any concert delayed? Schools shut down. Full fledged quarintine in 72 hours?? Place your bets. Jesus the speed of this is just whacko

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2020, 09:38:38 PM »
Dan Wetzel
@DanWetzel
·
14m
From the NCAA on if the NCAA Tourney is cancelled: “The NCAA has a business-interruption insurance policy and reserves that would partially cover losses.” Can assure no one in college athletics wants this cancelled.

What about the student-athletes?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2020, 09:40:05 PM »
Hoiberg to the hospital.

Seriously.

Yeah. It's gonna be called off. Hope I'm wrong.

Cfollow

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2020, 09:40:54 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Feel free to educate yourself. This virus is no joke pay particular attention to the fact that breathing air of infected individuals is the primary source of transmission along with the anecdotal evidence from Italy that this is NOT primarily an old persons disease. I’ll suffer fools when it comes to basketball knowledge but not when it comes to public health. Ant-vaccers log off now!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2020, 09:57:25 PM »
Hoiberg to the hospital.

Seriously.

I have a very simple solution for this IF he has corona virus...don't allow any B10 teams in the NCAA tournament since they would be the one's that could be exposed having played nebraska. problem solved.  8-)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
The comparison to the seasonal flu using absolute numbers is way too simplistic. It really comes down to two variables: mortality rate times number of people infected. In light of the lack of effective treatments at this point (unlike the seasonal flu), they cannot control the mortality rate. As of last week, the mortality rate (deaths divided by known infection) was 3.4%. Many people rightly argue that this morbidity rate is inflated, as the death figure is accurate while the infection rate is underreported. However, there is a counterargument that is often ignored. This mortality rate is effective when discussing a seasoned illness, but it is less effective when evaluating a relatively new virus. Why? Because the number of infected cases includes a significant number of people that are still a "work in process." A more accurate assessment compares the number of deaths to the number of individuals who have "exited" the virus, either via death or a healthy diagnosis. This rate is well above 5%. This compares to a seasonal flu death rate of 0.1% last year.

If you can't control the mortality rate at this point (and it is considerably higher than the seasonal flu), there is only one variable that you can influence: the infection rate. Are we going to stop the spread of the disease? No. It will be in every major city by the time we all return from Easter break. But we are able to slow the spread of the disease. The simplest way to slow the spread of the disease is by taking the normal steps that everyone talks about: wash your hands, don't touch your face and stay home from work if you are sick. But there clearly are other ways to slow the progression. One of those ways is to limit situations where people are traveling throughout the country to congregate in one common place, potentially returning to their communities with the virus. Is the cancellation of a basketball tournament (or simply fans at a basketball tournament) overkill? Possibly. But this example shows how quickly things can turn.

I had the decision to attend one of two conferences last week. I was very lucky in my choice. If I had attended the other conference, I know exactly which management teams I would have met with. For one of those management teams, one of the three individuals in attendance now has a confirmed case of COVID-19. Last week, people still weren't taking the virus seriously. At the conference I did attend, there were a couple people not shaking hands, but most of us were shrugging it off. I would have shaken hands with the infected individual in my small group meeting. Fast forward to the weekend. I was back home, coaching my son's basketball team, standing in the high five line after the game. Since the Archdiocese of Milwaukee (unlike Green Bay) has not removed the Sign of Peace, I was shaking hands with everyone around me, include my son with mild asthma and the elderly couple in front of me. To the point someone made about those impacted - yes, I would have probably been fine, though I did fall into the obese category (another risk factor less frequently discussed because the virus is new to the United States) in my wellness check. But I can't necessarily say the same thing about my son or the elderly couple in front of me. I can't imagine how guilty I would have felt if I was the one who brought it to my community, particularly the basketball team, my son or that elderly couple...or the kid at my son's school who is battling cancer. It's not about me or you, it's about the people around us and our parents. My dad is in his upper 70s with metastatic cancer - this virus is not his friend.

The idea here is to hit the pause button while we scramble to get enough testing kits (we are grossly undersupplied), work on a vaccine (which is further away than we think) and find a somewhat effective treatment. I really don't want to see the games cancelled (or fans not allowed), but let's not be so dismissive of the legitimate rationale for doing so.

Thank you for the long and well-thought out post.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »
Hoiberg to the hospital.

Seriously.

Rob Dauster
@RobDauster
A source confirmed to
@NBCSports
 that Fred Hoiberg has been taken to the hospital. There's concern that the Nebraska team is going to have to be quarantined.

Knowing the severity of what's going on, allowing him to coach tonight was incredibly reckless by everyone at Nebraska.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2020, 10:14:06 PM »
All it's going to take is for one player, coach, trainer, etc. for a team to test positive. Then it will likely be cancelled or postponed. There's probably a good chance that won't happen until after the conference tournaments (well, maybe not the B10) so the BET should get done. Fingers crossed.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
Hoiberg to the hospital.

Seriously.
The jackass was confirmed to have been already sick prior to the start of the game. Then the tough decided to coach anyways. He could’ve just F’d it for everyone. Someone better be fired over this.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:55 PM »
There’s near zero chance the tournament ends up being played next week.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2020, 11:40:38 PM »
The jackass was confirmed to have been already sick prior to the start of the game. Then the tough decided to coach anyways. He could’ve just F’d it for everyone. Someone better be fired over this.

Apparently already released from hospital. Does that mean he is negative for coronavirus? Did they even test him?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »
Confirmed that Hoiberg does not have COVID-19. He has the flu.

We may get another day of games. I just want to see our guys play one more time, at this point.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2020, 12:06:19 AM »
This is exactly right. I'm not saying anyone should panic, but it is serious and it's wise to take precautions. Hand-washing, avoiding large public gatherings, and being especially careful regarding older populations.

I'm not overly worried because my wife and I are generally healthy and this hasn't had an outsized impact on children, who are often a high risk population, but Italy didn't essentially shut down the country for fun. This is real.

This is the classic tale of the guy jumping off a ten stories building and as he passes the 7th floor remarking nothing to see here.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2020, 12:30:29 AM »
The jackass was confirmed to have been already sick prior to the start of the game. Then the tough decided to coach anyways. He could%u2019ve just F%u2019d it for everyone. Someone better be fired over this.

Relax. He has the flu. Lots of people with any virus have extremely mild symptoms and don't rush to the doctor at the very first sign. Yes, everyone should be more cautious right now, but there's no need to call for any heads right now.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2020, 01:58:05 AM »
We may have seen the last major b ball event with a crowd folks. Who knows when it will happen again

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2020, 06:28:25 AM »
There’s near zero chance the tournament ends up being played next week.

I agree, which is why I’m shocked these conference tournaments haven’t just sent everyone home.  It seems they’re waiting for someone affiliated with a team or the media to test positive, and then they’re gong to swoop into action like the NBA. Why? People are going to test positive, only by then you’ll have games in progress, teams in the arena. Put the players’ health first and just pull the plug already so we don’t have more Hoiberg situations.  The next Hoiberg isn’t going to test negative.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2020, 07:36:09 AM »
One of the obvious challenges to all of this is that now, with the acute awareness of identifying and responding to any of the symptoms of Coronavirus infection (i.e., cough, fever, shortness of breath),it's hard to see how they will be able to move forward. Honestly, taking this current situation completely out of the picture, on any given March week in any prior year, what are the odds of having a team/staff of 25+ people where nobody is exhibiting any of those symptoms? Somebody is going to have something. If people are even remotely serious about self-isolating when showing any of those symptoms - which are quite common in mid-March even in "normal" years - I'd think most teams would have at least someone out. And if that's the case, wouldn't everyone have to think twice about the rest of the team soldiering on?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:38:49 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2020, 07:37:16 AM »
I agree, which is why I’m shocked these conference tournaments haven’t just sent everyone home.  It seems they’re waiting for someone affiliated with a team or the media to test positive, and then they’re gong to swoop into action like the NBA. Why? People are going to test positive, only by then you’ll have games in progress, teams in the arena. Put the players’ health first and just pull the plug already so we don’t have more Hoiberg situations.  The next Hoiberg isn’t going to test negative.

Exactly. There are very likely players already with this virus. The Ivy League was right from the start.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2020, 07:51:09 AM »
I could see them trying to complete the weekend, but definitely don't see games next week. If I were the NCAA, I would move to suspend the tournament with the hopes of holding it in later April or May. You can always cancel later if necessary.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2020, 07:53:52 AM »
I could see them trying to complete the weekend, but definitely don't see games next week. If I were the NCAA, I would move to suspend the tournament with the hopes of holding it in later April or May. You can always cancel later if necessary.

I really think if it is suspended, it is cancelled. You have to worry about locations, hotel rooms, television.

The NBA playoffs will be in full swing and the MLB season would have started.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2020, 08:08:07 AM »
is there a chance the NCAA will call in at the last minute and spare MU from the gallows with seton hall?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2020, 08:19:56 AM »
The NBA playoffs will be in full swing and the MLB season would have started.

Not quite sure about either of those things, but point taken.

feedback