[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"  (Read 174925 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"
« Reply #525 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »
Yo Kemosabe,
Money talks and bullchit walks.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #526 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
Your right he will leave us one day. I'm not delusional he did entertain offers form other schools in the past. Those here in the know, understand it's going to be a blue blood top 5 job that makes him consider leaving.....not Marquette
Keep telling yourself that, big boy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #527 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
Yo Kemosabe,
Money talks and bullchit walks.

Not always.  Plenty of coaches have taken less money to remain or even less money to move....some guy named Brent recently.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #528 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »
Here is one thing I can say with absolute clarity and confidence: Shaka Smart indicated to high-level people at Marquette that he was going to take the job. That information trickled down to Marquette employees and spread from there. The information was specific enough that there was a rough timetable as to when things were (maybe still are) to unfold.

If it doesn't happen, that doesn't mean that many, many people at Marquette were not lead to believe otherwise. The person I talked to is super smart, super decent, and very modest. If they said the timetable was what they knew, then that's what it was.

THAT is one thing I will never back down on, and all the VCU fans in the world can never convince me otherwise. If they want to believe that this was all a bunch of Cheeseheads in Milwaukeee making things up, then they certainly don't understand Marquette University and its alumni. This is the double edged sword that is the Internet.

PS: I've said all that I know/heard. Out of respect for everything (and myself, I suppose) I'm refraining from saying anything further.

PPS: No matter what happens, I want to reiterate what I posted before about the very classy and decent and funny VCU fans. Good luck to you.
Thanks...really fascinating stuff. At a certain point it just became a battle of "my source vs. your source" which isn't very productive. I would never say I have 100% confidence in anything involving coaching changes so I'll just play the waiting game from this point forward.

Or, at least try to ;)

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #529 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
Here is one thing I can say with absolute clarity and confidence: Shaka Smart indicated to high-level people at Marquette that he was going to take the job. That information trickled down to Marquette employees and spread from there. The information was specific enough that there was a rough timetable as to when things were (maybe still are) to unfold.

If that is true and this falls through, then a lot of that has to fall on Shaka. He would start getting a reputation of a guy you cant trust and a guy who burns bridges. We will have to see how it plays out.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #530 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:40 AM »
Mods, can we lock this thread?

We haven't even gotten to the fly fishing part yet.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #531 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »

LOL - just awesome! Let's keep this coaching search going on a few weeks longer until the weather improves!

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #532 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
If that is true and this falls through, then a lot of that has to fall on Shaka. He would start getting a reputation of a guy you cant trust and a guy who burns bridges. We will have to see how it plays out.
I'm not so sure it's fair to automatically blame Smart. There is absolutely no way of knowing how all of this unfolded behind the scenes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #533 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »
We haven't even gotten to the fly fishing part yet.

Already passed up Howland, at least it seems.

RamScam

• Walk-On
« Reply #534 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
Keep telling yourself that, big boy.

I'm going to save this and show it to u when he leaves for a premier job.  Why so salty, we tried to tell you this.  Smart is very open with our community here. He is very visible. If you thought he was the kind of guy to leave in a jet overnight and spurn VCU I feel sorry for you. Smart is a different kind of guy. He will leave us one day and it will be done in a very class and tasteful way. You may not want to believe it, but it will happen. He is unique and different from these sleazy coaches. Save this post for down the road and you will see for yourself.  Why do you think we are all so confident in his word.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #535 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
I'm not so sure it's fair to automatically blame Smart. There is absolutely no way of knowing how all of this unfolded behind the scenes.

That's why I bolded the statement IF IT IS TRUE. Not blaming anyone at this point, let it play out.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #536 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
Not always.  Plenty of coaches have taken less money to remain or even less money to move....some guy named Brent recently.

Actually, MU's entire package of well paid assistants, charter aircraft, The Al, amount spent on the program/athlete, etc. make this a highly coveted job.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StCroix64

• Walk-On
« Reply #537 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
If that is true and this falls through

Falls through?  We have NO idea if there was even a conversation.  NOTHING has been verified by anyone that knows and VCU adminstration claims they have never been contacted.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #538 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
I'm going to save this and show it to u when he leaves for a premier job.  Why so salty, we tried to tell you this.  Smart is very open with our community here. He is very visible. If you thought he was the kind of guy to leave in a jet overnight and spurn VCU I feel sorry for you. Smart is a different kind of guy. He will leave us one day and it will be done in a very class and tasteful way. You may not want to believe it, but it will happen. He is unique and different from these sleazy coaches. Save this post for down the road and you will see for yourself.  Why do you think we are all so confident in his word.

Where have I heard this before...

The Process

• All American
« Reply #539 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »

Substitute Williams for Smart in the above and you get exactly what the MU community on the whole thought. Not saying it will play out the same with Smart, but we know how much it smarts when it happens out of nowhere.
Relax. Respect the Process.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #540 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
Actually, MU's entire package of well paid assistants, charter aircraft, The Al, amount spent on the program/athlete, etc. make this a highly coveted job.

I agree with that statement.....for somebody it will be, but not everybody

RyanConroy

« Reply #541 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »

If it doesn't happen, that doesn't mean that many, many people at Marquette were not lead to believe otherwise. The person I talked to is super smart, super decent, and very modest. If they said the timetable was what they knew, then that's what it was.

THAT is one thing I will never back down on, and all the VCU fans in the world can never convince me otherwise. If they want to believe that this was all a bunch of Cheeseheads in Milwaukeee making things up, then they certainly don't understand Marquette University and its alumni. This is the double edged sword that is the Internet.

PS: I've said all that I know/heard. Out of respect for everything (and myself, I suppose) I'm refraining from saying anything further.

PPS: No matter what happens, I want to reiterate what I posted before about the very classy and decent and funny VCU fans. Good luck to you.

Thank you for posting this. Too many people keep writing "lol trolled so hard!!" or "we took the bait!". Well, what bait? Who's the troll? These are things that needed to be thought through. There's no troll here.

We know that a a trustworthy source within MU let this leak to Jim Ganzer. This is fact, otherwise he wouldn't have reported the deal was done. The MU Athletic Department isn't trolling the fanbase through Jim Ganzer.

We know that many other less credible (but often semi-credible) outlets reported on the story, including Jerry Meyer. It seems that the higher-ups may have let word slip to colleagues, perhaps out of exuberance.

We know that MU and Shaka Smart have had talks. Jeff Goodman said so this morning.

We know that some credible/semi-credible VCU sources deny that the deal is done. Most, perhaps all, claim that Shaka has not even had talks with MU, and that instead he was hard at work on campus yesterday. Jeff Goodman says otherwise.

No national media outlet has given a substantive update on the situation, despite some serious momentum behind rumors.

---

So what's going on here? Perhaps some bad reporting by a couple of otherwise trustworthy people. Perhaps some excessive confidence from high-level Marquette people and a deal was close, but not done. Perhaps a deal is signed and both sides have agreed to keep things officially quiet temporarily. Perhaps Shaka had agreed to a deal and backed off after the leak put his trust in MU's administration into question. Perhaps Shaka verbally agreed to gain leverage over VCU.

Could be any of those things. But it isn't some elaborate trolling event. That just doesn't make any sense, and it shouldn't suggested.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #542 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

oh, honey.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »
Substitute Williams for Smart in the above and you get exactly what the MU community on the whole thought. Not saying it will play out the same with Smart, but we know how much it smarts when it happens out of nowhere.

Exactly!  We thought the same thing. Buzz is a different kind of guy too.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
oh, honey.

Excellent HIMYM reference. Well played!

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
Excellent HIMYM reference. Well played!

HIMYM? I was thinking The Shawshank Redemption... which makes it a lot darker
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

The Process

• All American
« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
HIMYM? I was thinking The Shawshank Redemption... which makes it a lot darker

But picturing that line being said to Katy Perry is a much needed happy place...

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #547 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
time to move on, hire Chew

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »

I don't believe that. (Re: Williams)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
I don't believe that. (Re: Williams)

What are the numbers?

feedback