Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"  (Read 174969 times)

RamScam

• Walk-On
Re: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:15 AM »
Shaka was mentioned by you guys as a candidate. He may have never even considered it. I love how he is flirting with you. Lol, he is happy and where his heart is....in Richmond VA with a top 15 class and a 25 mil practice facility and arena upgrades on the way.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
This is right from the script if any number of our games.  We are winning, then give up a lead, we comeback, but end up in a nail-biter.  We need to give the ball to "Vander".  There are only seconds left.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »
Shaka was mentioned by you guys as a candidate. He may have never even considered it. I love how he is flirting with you. Lol, he is happy and where his heart is....in Richmond VA with a top 15 class and a 25 mil practice facility and arena upgrades on the way.

Ok this falls under the "never argue with an idiot" category but here we go.

If you do not think Smart was and has been entertaining other jobs the last 2 or 3 years including MU and others, then you are delusional. Good luck with that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »
This is right from the script if any number of our games.  We are winning, then give up a lead, we comeback, but end up in a nail-biter.  We need to give the ball to "Vander".  There are only seconds left.

We metaphorically just gave the ball to Jamil, but he metaphorically just passed up the shot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »

Yup. We get it. You're smarter than us. Feel free to take your sense of superiority back to the VCU boards.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 25, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
We metaphorically just gave the ball to Jamil, but he metaphorically just passed up the shot.   
He would've missed anyway.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #506 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »

This sounds very familiar.  Buzz said pretty much the same and then left.

You put way too much faith in coaches words.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #507 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
Not sure why we Marquette should be embarrassed or become a laughingstock. You search for a coach; you make your inquiries; select a target; make a pitch; get a decision and go from there. The fans are the ones who created the frenzy and it was fun to participate in. Move on to the next one and repeat.

OTOH, IWB...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #508 on: March 25, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »

Just as a free piece of advice....don't make the same mistake we've made in the past especially with Buzz.  We laughed at rumors of Buzz going to places such as SMU, Auburn, and Virginia Tech....turns out he absolutely was flirting with those teams but for whatever reason didn't pull the trigger until VaTech.

There is something to this story, doesn't mean Smart is leaving VCU this time, but there is enough smoke here to indicate Smart is talking to MU.  At some point there will be a rumor you casually dismiss that will turn out to be true.  Some little Philly's going to break your heart.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #509 on: March 25, 2014, 09:01:34 AM »
Serious question: could iwb be correct? And marquette and Shaka wanted to do it the right way behind the scenes with all players(schools, players, lawyers, etc) involved and set a certain timetable for those things along with an announcement without him actually playing more than one side?

I have no idea. This is what I'm hoping for and that various media outlets are just jumping the fun before marquette and Shaka wanted them to.

If he was serious about coming here and this gets botched by marquette, that would be disturbing. Either way, I'm not getting my hopes up for him. I do hope he is our next head coach. Howland would be fine as well but after all of this, I sure as hell hope he is our coach.

Well, by doing it the right way, why would you put it out on Twitter it is a done deal?  What benefit do you get out of it?  Isn't the RIGHT WAY to do it behind the scenes, keep your powder dry, etc?  I'd say this is anything but the "right way".  

Here's another way to look at it, these are emotional decisions.  Do you remember when Crean was interviewed in 2008 that he didn't want to have to deal with the MU administration once it started because he knew it would be so much harder to leave.  Second thoughts creep in, etc.  You just go, get it done and rip the bandaid off.  So I'm struggling with the idea this is done the "right way" if MU is leaking this stuff to certain people and\or certain outlets are saying done deals, etc.  

If MU is trying to do it the "right way", they have to be furious that some of this stuff is out there.  The leaks do not help them.  Unless it truly is a done deal, then it is what it is, but I just don't see how putting the information out there helps either party. I see no upside at all.

I hope it is, what a great hire it would be.  I'm just not sure what the point was of getting it out there in advance....what benefit does it serve?  If anything, you tip off your hand, you get everyone ginned up on both sides, etc.  

I'll hope for the best, but done deal and "write it in sharpie ink" and things like that have meanings.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:05:18 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #510 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »
Just curious as to why everyone thinks that this Finkelstein tweet changes anything?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
Here is one thing I can say with absolute clarity and confidence: Shaka Smart indicated to high-level people at Marquette that he was going to take the job. That information trickled down to Marquette employees and spread from there. The information was specific enough that there was a rough timetable as to when things were (maybe still are) to unfold.

If it doesn't happen, that doesn't mean that many, many people at Marquette were not lead to believe otherwise. The person I talked to is super smart, super decent, and very modest. If they said the timetable was what they knew, then that's what it was.

THAT is one thing I will never back down on, and all the VCU fans in the world can never convince me otherwise. If they want to believe that this was all a bunch of Cheeseheads in Milwaukeee making things up, then they certainly don't understand Marquette University and its alumni. This is the double edged sword that is the Internet.

PS: I've said all that I know/heard. Out of respect for everything (and myself, I suppose) I'm refraining from saying anything further.

PPS: No matter what happens, I want to reiterate what I posted before about the very classy and decent and funny VCU fans. Good luck to you.
We Are Marquette

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #512 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08:25 AM »
Well, by doing it the right way, why would you put it out on Twitter it is a done deal?  What benefit do you get out of it?  Isn't the RIGHT WAY to do it behind the scenes, keep your powder dry, etc?  I'd say this is anything but the "right way".  

Here's another way to look at it, these are emotional decisions.  Do you remember when Crean was interviewed in 2008 that he didn't want to have to deal with the MU administration once it started because he knew it would be so much harder to leave.  Second thoughts creep in, etc.  You just go, get it done and rip the bandaid off.  So I'm struggling with the idea this is done the "right way" if MU is leaking this stuff to certain people and\or certain outlets are saying done deals, etc.  

If MU is trying to do it the "right way", they have to be furious that some of this stuff is out there.  The leaks do not help them.  Unless it truly is a done deal, then it is what it is, but I just don't see how putting the information out there helps either party. I see no upside at all.

I hope it is, what a great hire it would be.  I'm just not sure what the point was of getting it out there in advance....what benefit does it serve?  If anything, you tip off your hand, you get everyone ginned up on both sides, etc.  

I'll hope for the best, but done deal and "write it in sharpie ink" and things like that have meanings.  

There are a couple of leaks that can be easily explained via human nature, I don't see a vast MU AD leak conspiracy.  I think all and all this is more a reflection of the media culture we live in than of anything MU did or did not do.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
It aint over til it's over
No Finish Line

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #514 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:02 AM »
Well, by doing it the right way, why would you put it out on Twitter it is a done deal?  What benefit do you get out of it?  Isn't the RIGHT WAY to do it behind the scenes, keep your powder dry, etc?  I'd say this is anything but the "right way". 

Here's another way to look at it, these are emotional decisions.  Do you remember when Crean was interviewed in 2008 that he didn't want to have to deal with the MU administration once it started because he knew it would be so much harder to leave.  Second thoughts creep in, etc.  You just go, get it done and rip the bandaid off.  So I'm struggling with the idea this is done the "right way" if MU is leaking this stuff to certain people and\or certain outlets are saying done deals, etc. 

I hope it is, what a great hire it would be.  I'm just not sure what the point was of getting it out there in advance....what benefit does it serve?  If anything, you tip off your hand, you get everyone ginned up on both sides, etc.   

Agreed.  I'm guilty for believing the hype.  The real problem is the guy who leaked the story from the inside.  He needs to be let go immediately.  Created too much bad hype for Marquette and we need all the wins we can get at this point.  I stuck up for IWB in the past but this is the second time he burnt me with a big story.  See you loser.  Try finding a career you can do well at and have some pride in.  Running around acting like a know it all and spreading false rumors doesn't benefit anybody.  I'm done.  

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #515 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
Here is one thing I can say with absolute clarity and confidence: Shaka Smart indicated to high-level people at Marquette that he was going to take the job. That information trickled down to Marquette employees and spread from there. The information was specific enough that there was a rough timetable as to when things were (maybe still are) to unfold.

If it doesn't happen, that doesn't mean that many, many people at Marquette were not lead to believe otherwise. The person I talked to is super smart, super decent, and very modest. If they said the timetable was what they knew, then that's what it was.

THAT is one thing I will never back down on, and all the VCU fans in the world can never convince me otherwise. If they want to believe that this was all a bunch of Cheeseheads in Milwaukeee making things up, then they certainly don't understand Marquette University and its alumni. This is the double edged sword that is the Internet.

PS: I've said all that I know/heard. Out of respect for everything (and myself, I suppose) I'm refraining from saying anything further.

PPS: No matter what happens, I want to reiterate what I posted before about the very classy and decent and funny VCU fans. Good luck to you.

AC, thanks for posting this.  It will be interesting to see what happens the next 24 hours.  Seems like there are possibilities in both directions

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #516 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »

Sounds like a Bob Knight to UW moment....let's see if these guys can contain themselves or does it hit the media, social, etc. 

I hope it happens, but I honestly don't get what the benefit was to put any of this stuff out there in absolute terms like DONE DEAL....trying to scoop someone?  Even if it is a DONE DEAL, why put it out there that far in advance?  I'm in meetings all day, hoping something pops up on my phone that is good news. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »
Frankenstein's tweet means........................absolutely nothin'
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #518 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »

I don't think there is anything beneficial whatsoever by anyone with any knowledge especially a Milwaukee media outlet tweeting that it is a done deal.

I was just asking the questions because I have no idea what is going on. The "right way" would to do it quietly without making a big fuss about it beforehand which is the opposite of what has been happening. I hope he still come here. Of he does not, we will get bother great coach to lead our team.

I never said tweeting or leaking any info was beneficial to anyone.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #519 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
I also don't think marquette gave iwb the green light to leak anything either. That's his own doings.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #520 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #521 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:48 AM »
Frankenstein's tweet means........................absolutely nothin'

What about the mummy's?

RamScam

• Walk-On
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
Your right he will leave us one day. I'm not delusional he did entertain offers form other schools in the past. Those here in the know, understand it's going to be a blue blood top 5 job that makes him consider leaving.....not Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
There are a couple of leaks that can be easily explained via human nature, I don't see a vast MU AD leak conspiracy.  I think all and all this is more a reflection of the media culture we live in than of anything MU did or did not do.

Leaks are going to happen, part of the world we live in.  Where it goes to the next level is saying it with such conviction from several sources that are linked directly to the program but are not part of the program.  I hope like hell they are right.  It would be a great hire.  If it isn't right, I can't help but think any leaking and definitive done deal statements were for the benefit of whom? 

Interesting next 24 to 48 hours I suppose.  Keeping fingers crossed that they are right.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »
Mods, can we lock this thread?

feedback