'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"  (Read 175021 times)

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"
« Reply #425 on: March 24, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
UCLA =! UNC and Duke

He turned down UCLA. Turned it down. What more is there to say? I don't understand your comment.

I've been reading this board for 6 years. Much longer than I've been looking at VCU websites. Some of the crap I've seen on here is incredible. No different than the fanbase of any other team.

It's how routine you make it seem that these bottom feeder programs like Illinois, Minnesota, UCLA, and Marquette come in every year and tray to swoon your coach away, but pssssht there's no chance in hell he'd go to one of those piss ant schools. Hey we should write up a FAQ for all of these retards coming in thinking that Shaka would ever leave VCU for anything but the one or two best jobs in the country.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #426 on: March 24, 2014, 11:01:09 PM »
Ok bear with me here... I'm on a college football message board and since it is the off season there are quite a few off topic threads. A Georgia fan just posted a "Shaka Smart to Marquette" thread. I asked him what his source was, as I had been following the story all day and couldn't get anything concrete. He said that he has a friend in the know that was told that the assistant coaches at VCU were told tonight that their services are no longer needed. This is pretty much the equivalent of a picture of Shaka signing his contract so we can all sleep easy now.

So VCU and MU now have zero assistant coaches.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #427 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
VCU's coach in waiting Mike Rhodes, is an assistant coach on staff. When Shaka leaves, VCU has raised Rhodes salary repeatedly to keep him around for eventually taking over the reigns.

So VCU telling their assistant coaches to clear out, would be pretty idiotic, and alienate many players and recruits in the VCU pipeline. Safe to say you reading a football board, to learn about this situation, is akin to me watching the E! Network for reliable updates on the situation in Crimea.

Yes the whole thing is very tongue in cheek. Out of all the crap that's been posted today, you think I'm really excited about random Georgia football fan posts? I wasn't even looking for Shaka info there, it just fell in my lap.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #428 on: March 24, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
Glad you at least agree with the recession part

Well, after President Gore said the response to Sept 11 attacks was to "put the terrorists, in a lock box" Al Qaeda began to close up shop... until they realized it was a metaphor.  Upon which the nuclear fury of Durkadurkastan was unleashed upon the East coast, melting the polar ice caps, and putting Milwaukee on the Atlantic coast.

Gee this is fun.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #429 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »
A Florida fan has chimed in and said that he talked to his friend who is very well connected with Marquette... he's hearing the same thing. Shaka is about to get PAID, too much money to turn down. 7 years, $21 mil. Who knew SEC football fans would be so informative?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #430 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
It's how routine you make it seem that these bottom feeder programs like Illinois, Minnesota, UCLA, and Marquette come in every year and tray to swoon your coach away, but pssssht there's no chance in hell he'd go to one of those piss ant schools. Hey we should write up a FAQ for all of these retards coming in thinking that Shaka would ever leave VCU for anything but the one or two best jobs in the country.
Basically, yes.  It is that routine for them.  They deal with "Shaka to ____" probably on average twice an offseason.  If Buzz had turned down UCLA and nothing else changed since then I'd be confident that he would have stayed at MU too.

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #431 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
Yes the whole thing is very tongue in cheek. Out of all the crap that's been posted today, you think I'm really excited about random Georgia football fan posts? I wasn't even looking for Shaka info there, it just fell in my lap.

Roger, check. Getting late, and after everything that's being posted on here, hard to disseminate the sarcasm from serious posts.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #432 on: March 24, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »
The FAQ was clearly satire. I don't understand how it could have been interpreted as anything else.

Anyway, your argument is a fallacious one. Using terms such as "bottom feeder" and "piss ant" that no one in particular have ever stated. And yes, there is no chance he would go to any of those schools because he turned all of them down. I still fail to see your point in that regard. When the right opportunity comes along, Shaka will leave. No one is denying it. They will probably be upset and act accordingly though, just like fans on this forum or any other sports board. Marquette has been pumped up by posters on Scoop too, you know.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #433 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
A Florida fan has chimed in and said that he talked to his friend who is very well connected with Marquette... he's hearing the same thing. Shaka is about to get PAID, too much money to turn down. 7 years, $21 mil. Who knew SEC football fans would be so informative?

Like I'm supposed to trust an SEC grad with anything regarding math...

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #434 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »
Like I'm supposed to trust an SEC grad with anything regarding math...

Yes he's now back tracking and saying 21 years for $7 mil.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »
Yes he's now back tracking and saying 21 years for $7 mil.

That makes a whole lot more sense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2014, 11:32:19 PM »
Off to bed. Hopefully I will wake up to some good news. Not holding my breath
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #437 on: March 24, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »
I have this dreadful feeling the University thought it could do despite no prez and AD and overextended itself out of note legitimate options.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #438 on: March 24, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »
Man IWB has an awful lot on the line right now, huh?  Same with Jerry Meyer and Roy Schmidt.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #439 on: March 24, 2014, 11:47:59 PM »
I think Roy is relying a lot on Jim for this story.  He defended IWB on twitter earlier tonight.  I know he is wired into Illinois hoops but probably not so much within either the VCU camp or MU's athletic department at the highest levels.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #440 on: March 24, 2014, 11:50:48 PM »
Looks like we are getting ????......check Marquette's current staff

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marq-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Then check out Brent's current staff

http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/players/
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #441 on: March 24, 2014, 11:53:33 PM »

I hadn't notice Wainwright's name was the only one listed...
SS Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #442 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »

The immortal Ace Custis has his number retired at VA Tech. I'll never forget him hitting the free throws to best Marquette in the 1995 NIT Championship.
We Are Marquette

NivTastic

• Walk-On
« Reply #443 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
Derrick doesn't look very confident in his picture

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #444 on: March 25, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »
Sorry if this tweet has been posted already. Not sure who this guy is, but in another tweet he says he has family connections to MU hoops.

sean miller ‏@MillerTime1419  1h
@AnonymousEagle @PaintTouches Shaka is a done deal, will be announced tomorrow. Marotta called incoming class, confirmed through 8 sources.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #445 on: March 25, 2014, 12:11:08 AM »
Sorry if this tweet has been posted already. Not sure who this guy is, but in another tweet he says he has family connections to MU hoops.

@AnonymousEagle @PaintTouches Shaka is a done deal, will be announced tomorrow. Marotta called incoming class, confirmed through 8 sources.

Pretty sure he said that Mark Miller is his uncle.  Believable with the last names however common.  Gives me some hope.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #446 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:13 AM »

I would like an announcement before 10 am tomorrow morning.  I don't think I can take another full day of this again.  Please let there be closure either way.  Any chance you can list the 8 sources?   Other than Doc I hope their names aren't Grumpy, Sleepy, Dopey, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy and VCU Insider

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #447 on: March 25, 2014, 12:17:25 AM »
I'm inclined to believe that AnonyousEagle is regurgitating in this Twitter circle jerk.

However, this seems like much too late of a tweet.  Isn't that BrewtownAndy on here?  I'm sure he keeps up with it.  Thus I'm inclined to believe what he says is legit.

Thus, I am confused.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #448 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »
Pretty sure he said that Mark Miller is his uncle.  Believable with the last names however common.  Gives me some hope.

This guy is a fraud. He was talking to @ShakaSmartMU and the phony Shaka account was telling him how excited he was coming back to Wisconsin to win a title. Completely bs

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #449 on: March 25, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
This guy is a fraud. He was talking to @ShakaSmartMU and the phony Shaka account was telling him how excited he was coming back to Wisconsin to win a title. Completely bs

It just looked like he was asking if that would work.  I read it as him asking some idiot if it was worth making a fake account to fool people. 
Maigh Eo for Sam