[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"  (Read 174923 times)

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: IWB Just Tweeted "Done Deal"
« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
I have seen this comment multiple times now. No one is "hyping" VCU into a top-tier program. The fans, for the most part, understand what they are.

For the life of me, I have never seen a single person deny the fact that Shaka will leave for a blue blood program at some point in the future.

Except you all collectively scoff at the notion he was ever going to UCLA.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
All the national media channels called Florida for Gore in 2000...

Imagine that fiasco in the age of social media!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »

They called what they wanted to believe....maybe that's happening here too.   ;)

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »
Except you all collectively scoff at the notion he was ever going to UCLA.

UCLA =! UNC and Duke

He turned down UCLA. Turned it down. What more is there to say? I don't understand your comment.

I've been reading this board for 6 years. Much longer than I've been looking at VCU websites. Some of the crap I've seen on here is incredible. No different than the fanbase of any other team.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:37:13 PM by Warriors+Rams »

TJ

• All American
« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
VCU fans are hyping themselves up as a top tier program. Shaka will leave. It may or may not be to MU but Shaka will leave in the near future.
Just like Mark Few, right?

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »

And gore actually won it so they were right

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
Frankly, we've been through this before with Buzz too. After he turned down SMU and Oklahoma we were lulled into believing he wasn't going anywhere and many of us, including me, laughed at the notion that he would suddenly bolt for a program like Virginia Tech, just like the posters at the VCU board are doing now. Then, boom - Buzz was gone.  You just can't rely on past behavior to predict what any coach is going to do. Every new offer is different. And every coach will move on at some point. Let's just hope Shaka's ties to Wisconsin are the deciding factor that makes this situation different from his previous offers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »
UCLA =! UNC and Duke

He turned down UCLA. Turned it down. What more is there to say? I don't understand your comment.

Not surprising, either.  Lots of people turn down UCLA.  Jim Harrick was 5th choice.  Steve Aford was 4th choice, so on and so forth.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »

Not according to CBS, Miami Herald, PBS in their follow-up canvassing months later, but some people still hang on to false logic.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »
They called what they wanted to believe....maybe that's happening here too.   ;)
Someone posted something like: "If Fox Milwaukee local news says it, it must be true.  They wouldn't report something that wasn't fact."  To which I say: Yes, they would.  To think media outlets are infallible is a grave mistake.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
It's only been 3 days since Buzz left. When Crean left, it took 7 days to make the hire and make a formal announcement. We will hear soon.

Yes, and this board lost their crap after 48 -60 hours.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #411 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:45 PM »
Someone posted something like: "If Fox Milwaukee local news says it, it must be true.  They wouldn't report something that wasn't fact."  To which I say: Yes, they would.  To think media outlets are infallible is a grave mistake.

Oh, believe me....I agree entirely.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #412 on: March 24, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Ah yes, I remember President Gore's time fondly.  They were not right.

NivTastic

• Walk-On
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »
WGN news reported Marquette is heavily involved with Shaka.  Why is Chicago news following a team that is a 6 and half hour drive from Marquette, MI?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
UCLA =! UNC and Duke

Duke is going to Dawkins or Amaker

UNC is not opening up for 10 to 15 years.

How about this, you are not a top-tier.  That means he does not think he can win an NC at VCU.  Maybe he thinks he can at MU.  Have you seen the talent in Milw. and Chicago?  The number 1 junior in the national lives three mile from MU.  He was a solid MU lean with Buzz.  Have you seen the HS talent 90 miles away in Chicago?

Maybe he thinks with MU's money resources and a two hour drive from tons of talent, MU offers him what VCU cannot.  Are their better places?  Sure but they are not looking for a coach, and may not for years.  We are now.

He is ready to move and we are looking.  So much of life is timing and our timing and his are working out.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
Ah yes, I remember President Gore's time fondly.  They were not right.

Well that was an argument for 14 years ago hanging chads and all.  We probably would have dodged a recession. But I'm here for basketball and Shaka

RamScam

• Walk-On
« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »

This makes the most senses out of 17 pages of posts

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
Well that was an argument for 14 years ago hanging chads and all.  We probably would have dodged a recession. But I'm here for basketball and Shaka

LOL. 

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »

Not according to the NY Times, which is not exactly a far right-wing institution. 
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #419 on: March 24, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
Duke is going to Dawkins or Amaker

UNC is not opening up for 10 to 15 years.

How about this, you are not a top-tier.  That means he does not think he can win an NC at VCU.  Maybe he thinks he can at MU.  Have you seen the talent in Milw. and Chicago?  The number 1 junior in the national lives three mile from MU.  He was a solid MU lean with Buzz.  Have you seen the HS talent 90 miles away in Chicago?

Maybe he thinks with MU's money resources and a two hour drive from tons of talent, MU offers him what VCU cannot.  Are their better places?  Sure but they are not looking for a coach, and may not for years.  We are now.

He is ready to move and we are looking.  So much of life is timing and our timing and his are working out.
You don't have to tell me the benefits of the Marquette job. I'm a life-long fan. I've slurped the gold & blue kool-aid for many years. I'll go to bat for the program any day of the week, as I have done over on the VCU forum many times.

Duke and UNC aren't the only options though. Who knows what his ultimate goal is. In an ideal world, he'd jump to Marquette. There are so many other factors at play here though. I don't think his preferred career progression has to necessarily include a stop in Milwaukee.

In regards to the Chicago recruiting, this bit came out after he turned down the Illinois job:
Even though he and his wife enjoy big-city life, a source said, he wasn’t interested in the tricky recruiting of Chicago.

And I disagree - I don't think he is "ready to move" until a select few schools come calling.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:56:05 PM by Warriors+Rams »

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #420 on: March 24, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »
Ok bear with me here... I'm on a college football message board and since it is the off season there are quite a few off topic threads. A Georgia fan just posted a "Shaka Smart to Marquette" thread. I asked him what his source was, as I had been following the story all day and couldn't get anything concrete. He said that he has a friend in the know that was told that the assistant coaches at VCU were told tonight that their services are no longer needed. This is pretty much the equivalent of a picture of Shaka signing his contract so we can all sleep easy now.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #421 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »
LOL. 

Glad you at least agree with the recession part

Shark

• All American
« Reply #422 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
Ok bear with me here... I'm on a college football message board and since it is the off season there are quite a few off topic threads. A Georgia fan just posted a "Shaka Smart to Marquette" thread. I asked him what his source was, as I had been following the story all day and couldn't get anything concrete. He said that he has a friend in the know that was told that the assistant coaches at VCU were told tonight that their services are no longer needed. This is pretty much the equivalent of a picture of Shaka signing his contract so we can all sleep easy now.

I want to believe

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #423 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »
Don't even bother with the contract, even. I also trust him to stay forever.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #424 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »

VCU's coach in waiting Mike Rhodes, is an assistant coach on staff. When Shaka leaves, VCU has raised Rhodes salary repeatedly to keep him around for eventually taking over the reigns.

So VCU telling their assistant coaches to clear out, would be pretty idiotic, and alienate many players and recruits in the VCU pipeline. Safe to say you reading a football board, to learn about this situation, is akin to me watching the E! Network for reliable updates on the situation in Crimea.

feedback