[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 253316 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #725 on: July 08, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »
Exactly.  Walker's got a reasonable shot to be the next President.  That's power both from the carrot and stick perspective.  Look, even Chris Abele might like to go to Washington.

That's why I'm actually confident.  Walker wants the bump.  The timing of this is perfect.  Arena deal, Presidential announcement, first debate all within 3 weeks.  Like I said, Ed Goeas is a pro's pro.  And we'll never really hear what the gov had to give to get this done.  But that's what the conversations are all about this week.
And as likely, we'll never really hear what the gov Buck's Billionares had to give to get this done.

I suspect that the Buck's put their money behind the republicans thinking they'd get it done.  Now they have to make up ground with some Democrats in the Legislature.  Bottom line... if a local Dem votes against this, it may well cost them a lot in the future in party support, donations, and primaries, etc.  This gets done after the posturing.  I assumed that we hear that a vote is scheduled for this week.  If not, then I'll start to get nervous.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:29:18 AM by GOO »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #726 on: July 08, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
I'm confused as to how a new Bucks stadium is spun to be a helpful issue for a Walker presidency.   Aren't Republicans against public borrowing and spending? 

If he's on the campaign stump in Iowa and says "hey, look at me, I was able to pull together a deal to spend $250m of taxpayer money for a basketball arena in our big city" .. that's something Iowa R's are swayed by? 

I would think the opposite.  Parties may be owned by big business and desirous of corporate welfare .. but conservative voters?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #727 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
I'm confused as to how a new Bucks stadium is spun to be a helpful issue for a Walker presidency.   Aren't Republicans against public borrowing and spending? 

If he's on the campaign stump in Iowa and says "hey, look at me, I was able to pull together a deal to spend $250m of taxpayer money for a basketball arena in our big city" .. that's something Iowa R's are swayed by? 

I would think the opposite.  Parties may be owned by big business and desirous of corporate welfare .. but conservative voters?
The State was able to keep the Bucks by spending 80M plus some interest, and keep 250 Million or more in revenue over the next 20 or so years.  He looks like a business man making a good deal for the state, keeping the Bucks and making money for the State.  Plus other revenue that will be generated by surrounding development, sales taxes, etc.

He keeps a business and sports franchise in State at no cost to the State.  The State actually comes out ahead.  That is how it looks and how he wants it to look. Instead of we just lost a professional sports franchise and 10M a year plus in income taxes (6 Mill now and more in a few years).

brandx

« Reply #728 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »

Cut education spending and direct the money back to millionaires - that is the ideal republican play.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #729 on: July 08, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
Cut education spending and direct the money back to millionaires - that is the ideal republican play.

If those Democratic billionaire Bucks owners cared about the children they wouldn't take the money and if Herb Kohl cared more about children, he would kick in $150 million instead of $100 million.

The above statement is as pointless as yours.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #730 on: July 08, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »
I've lost track of all this but is the jock tax still a big part of how they plan on financing this thing? If so, the whole concept seems to be taking a number of licks lately and might not be around for very long.

http://www.atlredline.com/the-end-of-jock-taxes-is-near-1716476501

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #731 on: July 08, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
I've lost track of all this but is the jock tax still a big part of how they plan on financing this thing? If so, the whole concept seems to be taking a number of licks lately and might not be around for very long.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the courts to strike down income taxes assessed against professional athletes. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GOO

• All American
« Reply #732 on: July 08, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the courts to strike down income taxes assessed against professional athletes. 
Even so, then the players on the Bucks will end up paying full taxes to WI.  So, I don't think it would have a big effect on revenues.

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #733 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »
Bo Ryan and Barry Alvarez like the new arena...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/312286571.html

brandx

« Reply #734 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »
If those Democratic billionaire Bucks owners cared about the children they wouldn't take the money and if Herb Kohl cared more about children, he would kick in $150 million instead of $100 million.

I was answering a specific question as to how getting an arena deal would help Walker. What does an ex-Bucks owner have to do with that?

Try to keep up with the conversation.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #735 on: July 08, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
Lets call a stadium a 25 year useful life?  My guess is now its more like 30 years.  Lets figure over 25 years the Bucks team as a whole has a 150 mil payroll on Avg all of which have to pay state tax's.   If you just factor that you get the 250 back in 25 years.  plus Hotels restaurant's, parking all create revenue 50 + times a year.  You will get concerts, and other shows probably 50 more times a year with a new stadium compared to the Bradley.   Plus who is going to pay to keep up the bradley center?   The worst the stadium does for the city and state over 25 years is break even, But its very possible it could create double or Triple the Rev for the city, st, County.   If the owners were not covering 250 mil and all overruns I would understand why people would not want it, but keeping and bringing in Big business, a Iconic business is going to cost some money from the Government.  MKE, the county, and ST could be like Chicago, Cook county and IL and Drive Business out.  Business are your tax base so you need to keep them.  The deal that is being offered is better then 80 % of the arena deals out there.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #736 on: July 08, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
I was answering a specific question as to how getting an arena deal would help Walker. What does an ex-Bucks owner have to do with that?

I am not sure how much it will help. However, on the flip side not getting a new arena and losing the Bucks will be a big negative in his campaign.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #737 on: July 08, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »

Your partisan education funding talking point derailed it.

You turned funding for a pet issue unrelated to the arena and turned it into a pointless political slam so I turned it right back.  Money is fungible.  Money spent on Badgercare isn't spending on education.  Money for the DMV isn't spending on education, etc.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:17:04 PM by Badgerhater »

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #738 on: July 08, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »

The way I understand it is that there is no specific jock tax proposed.  Instead, it is a rationale that the state would lose $X million in player income tax if the Bucks left and then extrapolated that number to the expected growth in the salary cap.  As defined that way, it is in the state's interest to provide $$ for an arena in order to ensure that it keeps getting that growing pot of income tax revenue.  There is no special income tax applied to athletes, but an allocation of existing general fund revenue collected via income taxes that could otherwise be lost.  If I am mistaken on this, then I fully expect someone here to tell me the correct information.

That is what makes Brandy's political slam on education pointless.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:27:06 PM by Badgerhater »

brandx

« Reply #739 on: July 08, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
Your partisan education funding talking point derailed it.

You turned funding for a pet issue unrelated to the arena and turned it into a pointless political slam so I turned it right back.  Money is fungible.  Money spent on Badgercare isn't spending on education.  Money for the DMV isn't spending on education, etc.   

That wasn't the point.

The question was asked how it would help Walker when it seemed to be a contradiction to smaller gov't to lead a giveaway to a sports team. On the campaign trail, the two items will be used together as cutting education funding enabled money to be available for a giveaway to big business owners.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #740 on: July 08, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »
Even so, then the players on the Bucks will end up paying full taxes to WI.  So, I don't think it would have a big effect on revenues.

Only way it would be worse is if the Bucks were in the bottom tier of salaries. Then again, there is a cap floor so it will never be too low.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #741 on: July 08, 2015, 09:31:47 PM »
I'm confused as to how a new Bucks stadium is spun to be a helpful issue for a Walker presidency.   Aren't Republicans against public borrowing and spending?  

I would think the opposite.  Parties may be owned by big business and desirous of corporate welfare .. but conservative voters?

I think they are against public borrowing and spending that doesn't have a positive ROI.  That's a big difference.   Spending money for the sake of spending money with pipe dreams at the end is one thing.  They are not against spending money that makes sense.   Now, whether this project fits the bill is another story.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:35:17 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #742 on: July 08, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »

Well done!!!  Besides, cutting that education funding hasn't hurt education in the state.  So if it hasn't hurt education, why waste the money when it can be used elsewhere.  If I can spend X instead of X+Y and still get Z results, then why would one spend more? 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #743 on: July 09, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
This thread is in urgent need of some aggressive "Move to Politics Board" action.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #744 on: July 10, 2015, 02:22:17 PM »
Lena Taylor, Democrat from Milwaukee, just blasted the arena plan. If she is speaking for the four Democrats whose votes are needed, then say hello to the Seattle Bucks. I couldn't believe some of her suggestions, or lack there of.

If you want the deal, call your senator, no matter where you live in Wisconsin. The calls matter because if you are willing to call then they know you could be willing to vote.

If you don't want the deal, then congratulations because it really is looking like it won't happen.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #745 on: July 10, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
Chill, the vote is supposedly goin' down on Wednesday. The fact that its scheduled smacks of enough yeas to pass, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #746 on: July 10, 2015, 03:53:13 PM »

My friend, I mostly stay off the politics board for a reason.  Please don't bring your daily diatribe over here, okay?  Thanks.

brandx

« Reply #747 on: July 10, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
My friend, I mostly stay off the politics board for a reason.  Please don't bring your daily diatribe over here, okay?  Thanks.

Sorry - was just answering a question.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #748 on: July 10, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »
Sorry - was just answering a question.

No worries.  We don't see eye to eye on politics but agree on basketball.  Good enough for me.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #749 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
No worries.  We don't see eye to eye on politics but agree on basketball.  Good enough for me.

The political threads are ruining this board. It prejudices peoples opinions based on the political lean of the poster.