collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT...Moving to Atlanta  (Read 3306 times)

GOMU1104

• All American
OT...Moving to Atlanta
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
I recently took a job in Atlanta, and have to move fairly quickly (3-4 weeks).  Is there anyone out there that can give me any moving/living advice.

I really have no clue what the city is about, especially in regards to where to live. I will be working near downtown, on the south side of the City.

Reply or shoot me a PM if you have any advice.

Thanks!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: OT...Moving to Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »
I recently took a job in Atlanta, and have to move fairly quickly (3-4 weeks).  Is there anyone out there that can give me any moving/living advice.

I really have no clue what the city is about, especially in regards to where to live. I will be working near downtown, on the south side of the City.

Reply or shoot me a PM if you have any advice.

Thanks!

Great city.  I travel their twice a year on business.  Tons of open real estate and rentals so you should be in a major buyers market.  Are you single or married, because that may influence where you live.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
I have lived in ATL for 6 years and Chicos is right.  Your life stage will be VERY important in choosing where to live.  Do you have kids that are in school or will be soon?  Do you mind traffic? 

In very general terms, look on the north side of the city (North Fulton County or East Cobb) if schools are important in your particular circumstance.  Unfotunately, that will make your commute a living hell. 

I would be happy to help you with whatever insight I can.  Just PM me.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
Single...will be working alot, but would like to be near entertainment and nightlife.  Keeping costs down is important, and I realize I may have to sacrifice some things to get that.

I have been directed to look NW of the city, in the Vinings area. Seems to be farther out, but my future co-workers insist the drive isnt that bad. My hours wont always be conventional, so I'm not sure if traffic is that much of an issue.

(ATL...are you the same as the person on the Scout site? Dont need to send to messages if I dont have to...)

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
Been in ATL for 9plus years.  you want to live in Midtown, virginia-highlands.  Vinnings is way to far out if you have to work South.  don't plan on public transportation.  Suggest you rent for a year to get the lay of the land( so to speak) to give you a better ideas where you want to be.

Lots of decent places to rent in Midtown, virgina-highlands etc.  Easy drive for there to your job in the Southy part of ATL.  In both of those areas you can walk to bars, eat, etc.

Please PM if you have any questions.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
My best friend moved to the Old 4th Ward area, off of Highland Ave.  Loves it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
Single...will be working alot, but would like to be near entertainment and nightlife.  Keeping costs down is important, and I realize I may have to sacrifice some things to get that.

I have been directed to look NW of the city, in the Vinings area. Seems to be farther out, but my future co-workers insist the drive isnt that bad. My hours wont always be conventional, so I'm not sure if traffic is that much of an issue.

(ATL...are you the same as the person on the Scout site? Dont need to send to messages if I dont have to...)
I am not on the Scout site.

I actually live about 5 minutes from Vinings, it is a very nice area with quite a bit of nightlife, but would be a little more of a hike to work, depending on where exactly you need to go.  Any interest in renting a townhome?   ;D

Midtown and Virginia Highlands are popular areas with lots to do...but definitely have more of a "city" feel and also would skew far younger than Vinings. 

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »
How is traffic coming from the north? I have found some locations north of the city (some near Virginia Highland, some near Emory University, and a couple of others) where google maps claims it is a 15 minute drive to work.

ATL...Although it may be out of my price range, PM me about the townhome. I am open to anything right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »
Good luck with the move and enjoy the "talent" down there, it's definitely nice.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »
traffic, depends on time of day, and route.  Interstate can be great or a roll over or wreck which can close it down.  Emory to downtown drive 10-15 min same w/ Virginia-Highlands

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »
Good luck with the move and enjoy the "talent" down there, it's definitely nice.

Thanks.

So far I have lived in Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Washington D.C. I am looking forward to some time in the South.  ;)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:47 AM »
Unfortunately, I was only joking about the townhome.  My family's timeframe for vacating said townhome and your timeframe for needing a place to live do not match.   :D

However, offer stands for any advice you need on getting to know the city. 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »
Lived in Atlanta for 5 years lats of good places commuting can be hell.

Rent in Buckhead or midtown to start
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Thanks.

So far I have lived in Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Washington D.C. I am looking forward to some time in the South.  ;)

I just moved from Atlanta this year...lived in Marietta, GA for the past 3 years.  Based on where you're coming from, one thing you'll definitely like is the cheaper property/housing.  The only good thing about "sprawl".

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »
I don't know much about Hotlanta, but my boy ZFB raves about some place called the Coronet Club

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
Lived in Atlanta for 5 years lats of good places commuting can be hell.

Rent in Buckhead or midtown to start
Buckhead is also a very nice area, but the nightlife aspect has been greatly diminished.  After the Ray Lewis shooting incident when the Super Bowl was in Atlanta (which ocurred in Buckhead), all the rich folks who live in Buckhead (and they are plentiful) closed down all the bars and clubs.  Still a very nice area, lots of good restaurants (actually the city has good restaurants pretty much everywhere) along with quite a bit of congestion.