[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Have to think the Packers loved that Philly comeback  (Read 6035 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Have to think the Packers loved that Philly comeback
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »
Wow.

reinko

• All American
Re: Have to think the Packers loved that Philly comeback
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »
I have been drinking for a most of the day now, can someone explain, if this was indeed a good thing?  I think it is.

Go pack Go!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »
Won't mean much if the Pack soils their trousers tonight.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »

Maybe.  I think the key was to get the Giants that loss and next week if the Packers beat the Giants wouldn't they both be 9-6 (assuming the Pack loses tonight), but would hold the head to head over the Giants?

I don't know all the scenarios, but I would think this win by Philly was a great thing for the Packers if the Packers can beat the Bears and Giants at home.  Having the Lions beat the Bucs was also a big help for Green Bay...I would think.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
Yeah even if the Packers lose tonight, and beat the Giants next week, they are in the driver's seat for the Wild Card.

They would win head to head over Giants, and would beat Tampa on the tie-breakers.  They would both have the same conference record and the Packers would have the better record v. common opponents.  GB is 2-2 v. Atlanta, SF and Detroit.  Tampa is 1-3.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »

Tonight's game is pretty meaningless.

They will control their own destiny whether or not they win or lose.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
Maybe.  I think the key was to get the Giants that loss and next week if the Packers beat the Giants wouldn't they both be 9-6 (assuming the Pack loses tonight), but would hold the head to head over the Giants?

I don't know all the scenarios, but I would think this win by Philly was a great thing for the Packers if the Packers can beat the Bears and Giants at home.  Having the Lions beat the Bucs was also a big help for Green Bay...I would think.

Yes, but pretty big ifs considering Flynn may be the QB next week as well.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
Rodgers flew with the team, which is a good sign, in terms of those who have been concussed.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
Yup, yup, the Giants and Bucs losses were huge.

Now we HAVE to beat the Giants next week. We will see what this team is made of. I'd almost consider resting starters tonight... but no NFL coach would do that.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 05:17:11 PM »
Assuming a loss to the Pats, the Pack still controls its own playoff destiny by beating both the Giants and Bears at home. Yet, without a healthy Rodgers, that's an improbable scenerio.
Delfino has been out for the Bucks with a concussion for probably the past 2+ weeks. Those injuries can be pesty and lingering.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
Assuming a loss to the Pats, the Pack still controls its own playoff destiny by beating both the Giants and Bears at home. Yet, without a healthy Rodgers, that's an improbable scenerio.
Delfino has been out for the Bucks with a concussion for probably the past 2+ weeks. Those injuries can be pesty and lingering.

Delfino actually said he started feeling symptoms during the Oct 29th game and hasn't played since Nov. 6 and the Bucks aren't sure when he will return but have said they he will most likely wear some sort of helmet when he does. Corey Koskie suffered one for the Brewers and was never able to play in a regular season game again.  It's scary stuff and what makes it worse for Rodgers is that it is his 2nd one this year.  Studies have shown that  a player who suffers a concussion is 4 to 6 times more likely to get another concussion. Look at Aikman, he was barely able to get hit towards the end of his career without suffering one. The team has already said Rodgers will wear a helmet with more padding when he comes back.  I'm curious as to why all players aren't wearing those if they would minimize the risk.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
I can't see any reason we could not win tonight.  Wierder things have happened in the NFL.  This NE team lost to the Browns, badly.

With that being said the better scenario would have been the Giants win today, and we win out.  No?

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »

With that being said the better scenario would have been the Giants win today, and we win out.  No?

No, with the Giants losing we don't have to win out anymore. It gives us more ways to get in.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »
mccarhty, you dumbazz.    You're really complaining about special teams when you refuse to fire nepotism Slocum each and every year.

you reap what you sow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »
Well, the problem wasn't the idea...it was the execution.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 08:56:57 PM »
squibbing to the 30, with 2:00 left, not the best idea I've heard.

second everything looks good on paper, otherwise you don't do it but coaching is about getting players to execute the fundamentals, punch, shed block, tackle.  contain.   GB special teams have underperformed year after year and McCarthy keeps Slocum and has the nuts to complain about ST.  It's been a known problem for a long time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »
They have dominated this team. Three plays are the difference. The woodson drop. The kickoff return and the int for a touchdown. It will be a shame that they will likely lose this. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »
They also got suckered into playing too fast on the Pats last TD drive.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chren21

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:39 PM »
They also got suckered into playing too fast on the Pats last TD drive.

Let's go after Cowher.  I cant handle his playcalling and special teams.  How do you have the running attack working the way it was and when we get the ball back with 9 min we throw three times?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:34:11 PM by chren21 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
Fat Mike really sucked up the play calling and time management on the last drive.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
Honestly, I like McCarthy I think he's a good offensive mind and qb developer.  

I like how he's fixed the penalties this year but his inability to fix special teams is worrisome.

Thompson may need to go, he lays a good foundation but I fear he restricts himself too much in personnel moves to ever take the pack to an elite level.

I just don't have a good impression of Mark Murphy, so I'm not sure I trust him to replace Thompson with a better option.  So I'm iffy on what needs to be done, if anything, this off season in the front office.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Wow.  I would take Ted Thompson 24/7 over our GM....unfortunately our GM is our owner and the owner won't fire our GM

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
I just don't understand the people who think TT needs to be fired. He has built a contending and deep team without overspending like crazy. Look at all the key injuries we have sustained... who else could remain this competitive. Without all of those injuries (and possibly with) this team is a legit superbowl contender. Would you rather be like the bills/panthers/lions/cardinals/etc right now? TT has done a very good job.
BEARS STILL SUCK

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
I've been very critical of TT and MM in the past.

That said, these guys have been really good this year. They're two home wins away from a playoff berth with a decimated team. Ted built a lot of depth without going nuts with spending, and McCarthy has been generally good coaching.

What bothers me is twofold- First, the inability (or unwillingness) to finally cut bait with Slocum. Their special teams are putrid, and have been for a few years. The second is the playcalling in goal line/short yardage situations. The playbook shrinks to about 3 plays in those situations. There's no creativity at all. Either they go right up the middle, or empty the backfield. Barely roll the QB out, and when they do, its always to the right. And they never throw to the TE anymore in those situations.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
People that criticize TT dont really have a clue.  The fact that this team is still in the playoff picture after losing the players it has speaks to how good Thompson is at building a roster.

Same with McCarthy...if you cant see that the guy (and his staff, save for Slocum) have done a really good job this year, then you just dont get football.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
I don't dismiss that he has built a solid foundation.   I start with the premise that McCarthy is a great offensive coach.  He does a lot with not that great of parts.  

TT hasn't given him a great o line, the rb was average, and the receivers are good but not great, yet continually Mccarthy develops top 10 offenses.  I believe he has made Aaron Rodgers and heck even Matt Flynn look good in his system and through his coaching.

If you get a GM who knows how to draft solidly AND utilize free agency like a Ron Wolf this could be a super bowl team.  I believe McCarthy is as good an offensive mind as Holmgrem.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
I don't dismiss that he has built a solid foundation.   I start with the premise that McCarthy is a great offensive coach.  He does a lot with not that great of parts.  

TT hasn't given him a great o line, the rb was average, and the receivers are good but not great, yet continually Mccarthy develops top 10 offenses.  I believe he has made Aaron Rodgers and heck even Matt Flynn look good in his system and through his coaching.

If you get a GM who knows how to draft solidly AND utilize free agency like a Ron Wolf this could be a super bowl team.  I believe McCarthy is as good an offensive mind as Holmgrem.

This team is a Super Bowl team, when healthy.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »

I agree he really should just concentrate on play calling. Not sure he is a true head coach.  But maybe, time will tell.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »

I would agree that the line is a problem, but the RB situation is fine and the receivers are more than good.  You have a healthy Finley and this passing attack is one of the best in football.  And the defense is phenominal.  They started someone at linebacker whom I never heard of last night, and were down to our third string safeties.

I do agree that an occasional impact free agent would be a good thing.  (See what Woodson has done.)  Wolf wasn't a big free agency guy, but when he did it, it generally worked.  But I agree...Thompson is just fine.  I actually wish McCarthy wouldn't call plays, but he's doing fine too.

The record in close games is a problem, but I can't put my finger on it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »

The record in close games is a problem, but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't know why its a problem. I think you could turn it around and say that its a positive, that they are hanging in and giving themselves a chance to win in games which they otherwise might get beaten badly, especially when you consider that all but one of the close loses this year came on the raod. Three of those 5 against playoff teams.

The return game on both sides, is the biggest and most consistent issue I see. They lost again last night in a game they probably would have won, due to a completely unacceptable kick return by the Patriots.

For them to have the year they're having, especially defensively in light of all the injuries they've suffered is pretty remarkable. It seems to be catching up with them a bit more in the last couple weeks, but certainly somebody is doing something right.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
Are you dudes cheering for the Vikings tonight?  It's OK, Favre isn't playing.

I hope things run well at The Bank tonight.. it's an incredible facility, but not sure how it's going to look on Monday night football... Joe Webb for 150 and 100 tonight
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
Are you dudes cheering for the Vikings tonight?  It's OK, Favre isn't playing.

Call it rooting for the (consensus) underdog.  Or you could say it is less cheering for the Queens to win and more for the Bears to lose.   ;) 
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.