[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler  (Read 2718 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Butler
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:06:04 AM »
Didn't see a thread on this anywhere...

Thought he looked pretty good coming off the bench, seems to have good moves to the basket.  But the box score reflected one FG attempt...  Is that right?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

bma725

• All American
Re: Butler
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
Didn't see a thread on this anywhere...

Thought he looked pretty good coming off the bench, seems to have good moves to the basket.  But the box score reflected one FG attempt...  Is that right?

Technically yes, he only had one attempt....that came on the pass from McNeal to Butler for the layup.

He was also fouled a couple of times which negated the attempt.  There was one in particular where he grabbed an offensive rebound, he tried to go back up and shoot, but the CMU player grabbed his arm which got the whistle blown and the shot attempt didn't count since the foul was on the ground.  Same thing happened on the breakaway steal he had.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
He certainly seems athletic.  Although he can look completely lost on the defensive end at times.  With his length, any positive minutes he can provide are certainly a big benefit.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
Me and my roommate were discussing last night that we don't remember him ever attempting a jump shot as of yet.  He has been getting to the basket relatively often and making his free throws so considering his scoring in JUCO I assume he has a pretty decent stroke and I'm curious to why he hasn't had m/any attempts beyond lay-ups.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
Me and my roommate were discussing last night that we don't remember him ever attempting a jump shot as of yet.  He has been getting to the basket relatively often and making his free throws so considering his scoring in JUCO I assume he has a pretty decent stroke and I'm curious to why he hasn't had m/any attempts beyond lay-ups.
They've been primarily using him as the 4, while having Lazar on the perimeter for most of the possession..

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:27:59 AM »
They've been primarily using him as the 4, while having Lazar on the perimeter for most of the possession..

Lazar needs more perimeter looks. He passed up a nice opportunity at the top during the first half, but Cooby had a better look for a swish.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
I just wish Cooby had a little quicker release.  There were a few times yesterday that the ball rotation looked as though it was going to lead to an open jumper, but the shot wasn't taken because Cooby (and wisely so) didn't have enough time to get off his shot.  A quicker trigger and we might be able to better take advantage of those possessions where we do move the ball well. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »
Cubillan it seems has really got it in his mind to penetrate more off the dribble, in fact he had a couple of nice drive and kicks that were missed. Defenses expect him to just shoot out there, and it happened a couple of times last night where the CMU player ran out to close out, and Coobey went right around him. I like that dimension to his game, it gives us another guy on the court who can get into the paint and find people.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »
He really did play a nice first half of basketball yesterday.  It was great to see him make some positive contributions again. 

ondo10

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »

I have seen him take two jumpshots so far this season.  One 3-pointer and one 15-footer.  He missed them both, but his form looked good.  His MO in Junior College was that of a slasher, not a jump shooter.  One other thing you will notice about Butler is that 90% of his rebounds come on the offensive end and that he has a knack for blocking shots.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »
Butler is going to be fine.   He is playing out of his comfort zone right now, having to play the 4.  If he was backing up the 2/3, like he was signed to, he would be showing more.   From what I have seen of Butler, if Fulce really is more athletic, a better defender, more versatile, etc., then his return is really going to help.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.