[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Free Throws  (Read 2671 times)

HoopDreams

• Starter
Free Throws
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:54:08 PM »
Really? ESPN game recap included this...

"With Coach Buzz, we never practice free throws, never," James said. "He just feels like it's toughness, it's all in your head."

Williams said it was like practicing riding a bike.

"You step to the line and you make free throws," Williams said. "Your shot doesn't change, just like when you're riding a bike, it doesn't change no matter how long it's been since you rode a bike, but your mind needs to be right in order to make free throws."
Tradition Never Graduates..

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: Free Throws
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:45 AM »
I like buzz a lot, but this is probably the dumbest philosophy on free throw shooting I have ever heard.

No practicing free throws...ever?

That's just absolutely awful...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:13:41 AM »
I disagree. I highly doubt they never shoot FTs outside of games. With a limited number of hours per week for practice, I can see why you wouldn't want to take time out just to shoot FTs. In HS, the only times we shot free throws was during conditioning at the end of practice- once someone sunk two in a row we were done. For every miss we ran.

Besides, the ones who are mentally tough will stay after, or come in before practice to shoot them.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:09 AM »
WTF is Buzz doing?  Seriously.   You know I'd be cool with that if we had a kick a$$ defense, since he says that's what we spend our time on.   But we don't so it just comes off as crazy.  

I hope DJ was just exaggerating in an attempt to explain why he still sucks at free throws after four years.   Not practicing free throws is working for Wes.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
"Do you practice riding your bike?"
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »
I like buzz a lot, but this is probably the dumbest philosophy on free throw shooting I have ever heard.

"Do you practice riding your bike?" asked Williams, drawing laughs when asked if MU really eschews the charity stripe outside of games.

Then DJ follows it up with saying they never practice free throws.  I have to tell you, I have never heard a coach say this.  When I was at KU, Williams had them shoot all the time.  At IU, Knight had them shoot all the time.  Deane at MU, same thing.

His remarks make no sense.  Tiger Woods has been playing golf since he was 2 years old, he knows how to putt and hit his 9 iron but he practices those shots EVERY DAY.

The free throw is more about muscle memory and repetition then any other shot in basketball.  It's all about routine (I know, I'm a short guy that finished third in the state of California for the Elks free throw challenge when I was a kid...23 out of 25).  It's the same shot over and over and over and over again.  Practice makes perfect.  That was one shot I could master despite size because it's a simple shot that is totally on routine....and routine is PRACTICE!

I really can't believe we don't practice free throws.  Well, yes I can.  It shows!

If I may suggest something from some guy named Wooden...."Basketball Coaching: Planning Practices" 

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/PracticePlan.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:21:09 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
Its one thing to not do it.  Its another to tell the whole world.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »
Clearly shots do change, because Dominic has changed his shot quite a lot over the years here whether it is his jumping or his release.  Practicing free throws is really important, especially for our team that goes to the line a lot.  I don't see any excuse for not practicing free throws, and his mindset that it's all mental is complete BS.  Practicing free throws helps shooters get in a rhythm and find their best way.  After all, free throws are set shots instead of jumpers so they need to develop the touch at the line rather than shooting a jump shot.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:22:42 AM »
 somebody email D Krause and ask him to ask Buzz why we aren't practicing free throws and challenge him if he breaks out the bike crap.    And why our defense is worse if we're spending all this time on it. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:22:59 AM »

Yes it is awful.  I'm sure he'll say he was just joking and maybe he was.  But WTF!  Can you imagine if Crean said this?  People would be all over him and rightfully so.  At the very least, if they aren't using vital time in practice to shoot free throws, then these guys better on their own time be shooting a crap load of them.

Fundamentals.  That is what this team seems to be lacking right now and with comments like this, it doesn't surprise me.

Pardner

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 12:24:55 AM »
My night to defend Buzz, I guess.  He must be doing something right.  Rumors are that DJ has been seen after games practicing.  Who knows what kind of slump he is in?  

2007-08 MU FT %: .706

2008 MU FT %: .724 (5 of 9 % at or above YAG)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »
My night to defend Buzz, I guess.  He must be doing something right.  Rumors are that DJ has been seen after games practicing.  Who knows what kind of slump he is in?  

2007-08 MU FT %: .706

2008 MU FT %: .724 (5 of 9 % at or above YAG)

That may be a bit misleading....I count 5 down from last year.

DJ is shooting a paltry 48.6% right now as the point guard.  Simply horrible.  Last year he was at 66.4%
Lazar is down just a touch from 77.3% to 76.3%
Cubillan is way down from 78.3% to just 55.6%
Burke is down from 50% to just 40% this year
Acker is down from 78.8% to just 66.7% this year

Three of 5 starters down.

That's a lot of guys from one year to the next going downhill, many by huge margins.

What skews it is Wes going from 79% to 88% and McNeal from 70.2% to 78.6%.  New player Jimmy Butler is also hitting at almost 87%.

We also lost 2 players from last year's squad that shot below 50% (Mbakwe and Blackledge) and another that shot 66.2% (Barro).  Addition by subtraction it seems.

I understand the logic of avoiding using official practice time, but with so many key guys off so markedly on their percentages this year, they need to be practicing free throws on their own.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »
We left out a LOT of context here. From Rosiak's game story- "Coach Buzz . . . says it's all toughness and it's all in your head," said James, one player who has struggled at the line so far this season at just 48.6%. "If we don't get into the gym and get shots up on our own, we aren't going to do it in practice. We have to continue to be mentally tough."

Exactly as I said earlier. They practice them, but it's on their time. And it's not like the coaches aren't there already to give pointers if need be. I don't see any problem with this at all.

Mountains and molehills, gents.

Pardner

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:56:43 AM »

DJ is shooting a paltry 48.6% right now as the point guard.  Simply horrible.  Last year he was at 66.4%

That's a lot of guys from one year to the next going downhill, many by huge margins.

What skews it is Wes going from 79% to 88% and McNeal from 70.2% to 78.6%.  New player Jimmy Butler is also hitting at almost 87%.

We also lost 2 players from last year's squad that shot below 50% (Mbakwe and Blackledge) and another that shot 66.2% (Barro).  Addition by subtraction it seems.

I understand the logic of avoiding using official practice time, but with so many key guys off so markedly on their percentages this year, they need to be practicing free throws on their own.

Let's not forget Fitz at 77%, considerably above the average.  Or if Cube, Acker and Burke make one free throw or two each they are at or above year ago.  You got me at Hayward, I guess my definition of "at" wasn't entirely correct with that 1%.  But, you forgot Frozen A at 100% this year  ;)

Point is, mountain out of molehill.  No major difference except DJ who by all accounts is working on FT's.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:00:09 AM by Pardner »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 01:06:27 AM »
Thanks for giving the full context.   I'm fine with Buzz's practice on free throws if our guys are putting in the time on their own.   

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 05:09:40 AM »
They were 31 for 38 vs. CMU!

I bet Buzz had them shooting ALL NIGHT LONG!
SS Marquette

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »

Those increases don't necessarily skew the #'s.  It's called improvement.  I could say, MU is a much better FT team this year, but DJ's slow start from the line are are skewing the #'s.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
They were 31 for 38 vs. CMU!

I bet Buzz had them shooting ALL NIGHT LONG!

:)

They shot it well last night.  His comments about the bike remain strange, especially coming from a coach.  Let us hope the kids are working on it hard on their own and are encouraged to do so by the staff. 

Appreciate the full context that was provided as last night in the original article it wasn't there....thank you.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »
here's the thing...right now, MU is 75th in the country in free throw %.  That's right around top 20% in the country.  pretty good.  Also, right now, we have the 2nd most free throws made by a team.  currently, we have a better free throw percentage then EVERY OTHER TEAM in the big east with the exception of Georgetown and Villanova.  This is a non-issue.

feedback