collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129905 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7150 on: July 10, 2020, 07:33:58 AM »
I don't have the link but the Mayor of Miami said this week that one third of its COVID-19 deaths have been under the age of 60.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7151 on: July 10, 2020, 07:38:00 AM »
Again - you are talking about something completely different.  Outbreaks happen, he is speaking to control & management once that occurs.

If you’re one of the 3 worst states in infection rate and top 8 in deaths I’d say you did a piss poor job of managing the outbreak. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7152 on: July 10, 2020, 07:39:40 AM »
If you’re one of the 3 worst states in infection rate and top 8 in deaths I’d say you did a piss poor job of managing the outbreak.

Which is also not what he said. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7153 on: July 10, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »

Not going to get into what states handled it well but some things:

1. If you had the virus early treatments were crap so death by definition would be higher

2. If you got the virus later you ignored the obvious problem from other states

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7154 on: July 10, 2020, 07:45:48 AM »
Death rates starting to tick up.  Lagging hospitalizations...lagging positive cases....as predicted.

Hopefully it's an anomaly but it doesn't look good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7155 on: July 10, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7156 on: July 10, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »
Death rates starting to tick up.  Lagging hospitalizations...lagging positive cases....as predicted.

Yes, totally predictable and tragic. Unfortunately, we are just at the beginning of the uptick and experience has shown that once death numbers begin to rise, it takes a lot of time and a huge, coordinated effort to tamp it back down.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7157 on: July 10, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »
I think dr gottlieb has it right here.   Which doesn’t bode well for navigating the fall. 

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1281547240146952193?s=21
I thought very early on that the patchwork approach was going to lead to one, long, rolling wave. Wishing it away wasn't going to work.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7158 on: July 10, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »

Yup. Deaths lag new cases by 21-28 days, so if you look at the point where cases started to rise again...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

...we are right at the beginning of the uptick in deaths.

We can only hope that with the average age of new cases skewing lower and the improvements in treatments since March, the death rate remains lower than we saw at the beginning of this.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7159 on: July 10, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
And even worse 3 of the top 4 states for Covid death rate per million residents is NY, CT, and MA. 

Usually I think Gottlieb is pretty good with his analysis but if those 3 states are the examples of what it looks like when you try to crush the virus we better go back to the drawing board.
I'm pretty sure you are smarter than this.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7160 on: July 10, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »
Financial Times goes in depth with Tony Fauci. He has not seen the President in person at WH since June 2nd. He has not briefed him in more than 2 months.

Fauci: "I have a reputation as you have probably figured out, of speaking the truth at all times and not sugar-coating things. And that may be one of the reasons why I haven't been on television very much lately."

https://www.ft.com/content/57834c2c-a078-4736-9173-8fb32cfbbf4e

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7161 on: July 10, 2020, 10:12:03 AM »
Financial Times goes in depth with Tony Fauci. He has not seen the President in person at WH since June 2nd. He has not briefed him in more than 2 months.

Fauci: "I have a reputation as you have probably figured out, of speaking the truth at all times and not sugar-coating things. And that may be one of the reasons why I haven't been on television very much lately."

https://www.ft.com/content/57834c2c-a078-4736-9173-8fb32cfbbf4e

Might explain his press tour. One of the reasons to play nice was to stay employed so he could still have influence on the Task Force. With that seeming to be gone, might as well get the message out any way possible.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7162 on: July 10, 2020, 12:27:55 PM »
Might explain his press tour. One of the reasons to play nice was to stay employed so he could still have influence on the Task Force. With that seeming to be gone, might as well get the message out any way possible.

Yep. Here is more from CNBC (with reference to the FT interview)....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/10/coronavirus-trumps-rift-with-white-house-health-advisor-fauci-widens-as-cases-hit-new-records.html

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7163 on: July 10, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »

Yep. Here is more from CNBC (with reference to the FT interview)....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/10/coronavirus-trumps-rift-with-white-house-health-advisor-fauci-widens-as-cases-hit-new-records.html

Why isn’t the Cabinet looking at the 25th Amendment?  Trump’s neglect is causing people to die every day. Every trump death enabler needs to be removed in November.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7164 on: July 10, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
Why isn’t the Cabinet looking at the 25th Amendment?  Trump’s neglect is causing people to die every day. Every trump death enabler needs to be removed in November.

Because they are just as absent-minded and incompetent as he is.
Plus, does he have a cabinet?  1/2 of them are just "Acting Secretary" which I believe doesn't count.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7165 on: July 10, 2020, 04:01:27 PM »
Why isn’t the Cabinet looking at the 25th Amendment? 
Uhhhhhhhh, DeVos, Carson, Perry, Chao, Barr, Pompeo, Pence, Mnuchin...good luck with that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7166 on: July 10, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »
Where are deaths increasing again? see a pretty consistent pattern going down here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Not to say I'm a fortune teller, but that chart is pretty obvious... 3 days later

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7167 on: July 10, 2020, 06:43:11 PM »
Not to say I'm a fortune teller, but that chart is pretty obvious... 3 days later

By the way our positivity rate and testing delays have increased to the point that ‘cases’ is no longer a leading indicator.  So we are watching the virus from about a 5 days to a week late in those numbers. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7168 on: July 10, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
By the way our positivity rate and testing delays have increased to the point that ‘cases’ is no longer a leading indicator.  So we are watching the virus from about a 5 days to a week late in those numbers.

Abbott in TX today warned that the deaths they are seeing in TX now are still from cases at the end of May, so prepare for things to get worse.

Also, indicated that if people don't start following recommendations and rules, he will have to shut the state down.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/10/greg-abbott-shutdown-texas-mask-order/

I figure other areas like Florida are similar. If so, this ramp up in deaths is just the beginning.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7169 on: July 10, 2020, 08:08:22 PM »
Abbott in TX today warned that the deaths they are seeing in TX now are still from cases at the end of May, so prepare for things to get worse.

Also, indicated that if people don't start following recommendations and rules, he will have to shut the state down.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/10/greg-abbott-shutdown-texas-mask-order/

I figure other areas like Florida are similar. If so, this ramp up in deaths is just the beginning.
While it isn't a perfect correlation, the simplest thing to do is simply look at the case trend 4 weeks prior. The lag is quite predictable at this point.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7170 on: July 10, 2020, 08:55:06 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7171 on: July 10, 2020, 11:52:11 PM »
Over 70,000 cases today.

We are in a free fall, people. With a pro-virus president & VP, this is gonna really, really get ugly.

There is NO good news. We will bear the effects from having a leader who simply doesn’t care for years to come. I am speaking physically and economically.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7172 on: July 11, 2020, 06:16:41 AM »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7174 on: July 11, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »
Loss of smell seems to be inflammation related as opposed to anything with the nervous system. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31525-7/fulltext

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-scientists-uncover-why-some-people-lose-their-sense-of-smell-138898

From a scientific perspective, we are learning how many diverse and essential roles the ACE2 receptor plays in our physiology. The reason it is pretty crazy scientifically, is that we didn't even know the protein existed until around 2000, since then we have learned that plays an essential (beneficial) roles in regulating blood pressure, clotting, inflammation and others, but with COVID, we just keep finding more aspects it is regulating.

To me it shows how little we still understand about how our own biology is regulated.

feedback