[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kenosha  (Read 75032 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Kenosha
« Reply #700 on: September 03, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
That is only the tip of the iceberg.  Luigi's, Casa Capri, Tenuta's Deli and Tenuta's Restaurant (two unrelated Tenuta families) Villa DiCarlo, Italian American Club.

Growing up there back then, Kenosha had a very heavy Italian population. The best collection of pizza places anywhere in the country back in the day. Luigi's was the best pizza I have ever has (over and over again) until the old man retired. Not near as good now.

Tenuta's is a treasure - the kind of ethnic store you usually only find in big cities. Drivin' down to Kenosha to check Tenuta's today, as a matter of fact.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #701 on: September 03, 2020, 12:08:31 PM »
Growing up there back then, Kenosha had a very heavy Italian population. The best collection of pizza places anywhere in the country back in the day. Luigi's was the best pizza I have ever has (over and over again) until the old man retired. Not near as good now.

Tenuta's is a treasure - the kind of ethnic store you usually only find in big cities. Drivin' down to Kenosha to check Tenuta's today, as a matter of fact.

I recall from my Marquette days of fellow students mention "a very heavy Italian population" in Wisconsin somewhere and it's obvious they have never been to the tri-state area. (Jockey, no offense please.)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #702 on: September 03, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »
I recall from my Marquette days of fellow students mention "a very heavy Italian population" in Wisconsin somewhere and it's obvious they have never been to the tri-state area. (Jockey, no offense please.)
No doubt, people ask me if I am from the east coast because they know of my surname.
In any case picked this up in Andrea's for my wife and I to cook/bake up when I get an urge for something from my childhood.
https://www.amazon.com/taste-memories-Columbus-Park-neighborhood/dp/096263462X

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #703 on: September 03, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »

Related to Judy Tenuta? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6TvuPnd1ec
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #704 on: September 03, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
Related to Judy Tenuta? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6TvuPnd1ec

I am fairly certain yes.  I remember WAY back in the day her talking about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #705 on: September 05, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
Also in 1994, my high school classmate and I drove from the NW suburbs of Chicago to Superb Video to buy a bong. I haven't been there since, but Superb video was a really goofy place, with all kinds of sex toys and dirty VHS tapes in the front, and a complete smoke shop in the rear.

Superb Video is in Kenosha.
Kenoshans thank you for your business. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #706 on: September 05, 2020, 09:01:57 PM »

My only memory of Kenosha is that it’s the home of Shaky’s Pizza. Maybe the worst pizza in the world.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #707 on: September 06, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »
Sure, I think it closed in Kenosha in the 70s.  Definitely not of Kenosha origins. 
https://www.shakeys.com/
Sorry you had to experience the worst pizza in Kenosha for its time.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #708 on: September 06, 2020, 07:26:48 AM »
My only memory of Kenosha is that it’s the home of Shaky’s Pizza. Maybe the worst pizza in the world.

Kenosha...Sacramento...whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey's_Pizza
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #709 on: September 06, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #710 on: September 06, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »

You haven't been to St Louis, I see.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »

St Louis and their fake cheese shouldn’t even be any food discussion

reinko

• All American
« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »

Or Detroit style, 🤮

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #713 on: September 06, 2020, 05:54:48 PM »

Actually been there many, many times but never eaten pizza there. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #714 on: September 06, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »
Or Detroit style, 🤮

Detroit style is great. I’m sure you can get some really crappy Detroit style pizza though. But if done well, I love it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #715 on: September 06, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »
Actually been there many, many times but never eaten pizza there. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.
It’s trash.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #716 on: September 06, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
Detroit style is great. I’m sure you can get some really crappy Detroit style pizza though. But if done well, I love it.

Don't know if Jets pizza is up by you but that's the epitome of trash Detroit pizza

St Louis pizza is an abomination. I couldn't finish a slice and I've pulled Schroeder good out of the trash to eat when I was drunk.
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #717 on: September 06, 2020, 07:35:05 PM »
It’s trash.
Trash is WAY too kind. Didn't know what Detroit style was until I just looked it up, not my favorite but not inedible. I've literally passed on dinner instead of eating St. Louis 'style'.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #718 on: September 06, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »
Trash is WAY too kind. Didn't know what Detroit style was until I just looked it up, not my favorite but not inedible. I've literally passed on dinner instead of eating St. Louis 'style'.

Little Caesars is Detroit style.  I would eat Pizza Pizza everyday for a whole year then have a slice of StL.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #719 on: September 06, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
Don't know if Jets pizza is up by you but that's the epitome of trash Detroit pizza

St Louis pizza is an abomination. I couldn't finish a slice and I've pulled Schroeder good out of the trash to eat when I was drunk.

Yup. That’s Jets is the trash Detroit style. I went to a place in Austin that was Detroit style and it was one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had.

St. Louis pizza is brutal. But their baked ravioli is phenomenal.

Little Caesars is Detroit style.  I would eat Pizza Pizza everyday for a whole year then have a slice of StL.

I haven’t had Little Caesar’s in years, but it certainly wasn’t Detroit style when I had it.

Do they still have a large pizza for $5? Not good pizza, but for $5 you can have a worse meal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2020, 03:55:16 AM »
Detroit is the origins/headquarters of three of the large national chains.  Dominos, Little Ceasars and Hungry Howies.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #721 on: September 07, 2020, 07:13:28 AM »
Little Caesar's makes a Detroit style, but it is not their base.   Fun pizza trivia:. The Detroit Tigers were sold by the founder of Domino's to the founder of Little Caesar's.   For which Tiger fans are eternally grateful.   Mr. I poured so much into that team and into downtown Detroit in general.  Sad the Tigers never got him a WS.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #722 on: September 07, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
Little Caesar’s is the only Detroit style pizza I’ve had and honestly thought it was good. The $5 original pizza has gotten worse and worse over time.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #723 on: September 07, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
Detroit is the origins/headquarters of three of the large national chains.  Dominos, Little Ceasars and Hungry Howies.

And all are offensive and awful.  I haven't had a Domino's iin 30 years and I've never had the other two.  I can safely say I will never eat any of the listed ever again.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #724 on: September 07, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »
Yup. That’s Jets is the trash Detroit style. I went to a place in Austin that was Detroit style and it was one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had.

St. Louis pizza is brutal. But their baked ravioli is phenomenal.

I haven’t had Little Caesar’s in years, but it certainly wasn’t Detroit style when I had it.

Do they still have a large pizza for $5? Not good pizza, but for $5 you can have a worse meal.

Toasted Rav, not baked. And it’s deep fried. I ate far too much of that back in the day.

St Louis style pizza is an abomination. Even for free it isn’t worth it. A tortilla for crust, rubbery “provel” cheese that makes Velveeta seem like real cheese.

I love Detroit style. The history is that auto workers used square pans they brought back from the plants. Proper Detroit style is thick crust, brick cheese and sauce on top. Buddy’s blows Jet’s away. A local brewery here is owned by a Detroiter and got Buddy’s recipe.

Little Caesar’s is nostalgia for Michiganders at $5 but not “Detroit Style.”  Now, the Crazy Bread with that sauce, so damn good! When my cousin from MI was leaving the country his last dinner, per his request, was Little Caesar’s.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:42:14 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback